LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 290 users in the forums

Trading down is better than trading up in this draft for us.

Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
if the player we wanted and targeted is gone, might as well wheel and deal and pick up some extra picks ...we got Borland and Lynch in the middle rounds last year, who's to say we wont find a couple more gems after the 3rd round

That is true. Plus I think the real top tier guys are gone. The true difference makers is about 10 deep. They won't be available at #15.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Also have to find a willing Trade partner that makes a reasonable offer for the #15.

Question: If there are only "10 Elite Difference makers" in this draft, why would another Team want to give up something for #15?

Just trying to point out that even if the 49ers really do want to trade out because of the situation in how the Draft goes, it may not be able to do so because they couldn't get a good offer. It takes 2 to Tango.

I agree. You need somebody to make an offer. Maybe somebody will want Melvin Gordon and he will be gone by 20 something or whatever. So they want to trade up to 15. It has to fall your way too. You need a trade partner. It can't be made up of thin air.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I don't think Baalke will move up, he will definitely move down. I agree with you SanDiego 5-10 is worth standing pat, but someone may filter down from 12-14, that would be worth a shot of moving up a few places. IMO Baalke will go with the beef early and burner in the second round.

If somebody filters down to 12 - 14 I am OK with a jump up to get them. That's just a few slots. Like maybe give up our 1st and a 3rd to move up a few or whatever the price is. I can live with that for an elite player who filters down. That sometimes does happen. So we will have to wait and see. You hate to let a great player go if you can get them at #13 or #14 or something. But if they are all gone by #15 trade down if you can.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post SanDiego.

Depends who is there.

I agree w/RishikeshA - that Trent will go for the bulk first and WR second.

I'd love to get Eddie Goldman DL, 320, 6'4" from Florida State for our first round choice.

I think we will likely address either line first. Then speed in the 2nd. Baalke really likes front 7 picks. Plus we have some O Line needs too. I could see a WR in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I dont follow college ball, but I heard there is a very spectacular running back that is projected to go around where we pick. I know that breaks from the norm, but if we could pick up another work horse like Frank Gore, Lynch or AP, I think you have to consider it.

Personally I would be fine with picking Melvin Gordon at our pick. He is projected about mid first round in most of the mocks. I've seen him play a lot. He has great vision and moves and good speed and excellent quickness. We do need a RB. Gore may not be back. Plus even if he is he is older. Carlos Hyde is banger. We could use speed too as a change up.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I dont follow college ball, but I heard there is a very spectacular running back that is projected to go around where we pick. I know that breaks from the norm, but if we could pick up another work horse like Frank Gore, Lynch or AP, I think you have to consider it.

Personally I would be fine with picking Melvin Gordon at our pick. He is projected about mid first round in most of the mocks. I've seen him play a lot. He has great vision and moves and good speed and excellent quickness. We do need a RB. Gore may not be back. Plus even if he is he is older. Carlos Hyde is banger. We could use speed too as a change up.
Thanks. Thats the name I was looking for, Melvin Gordon. Even if we keep Gore, I still think we need to look to the future. Good running backs are a dime a dozen, but Great running backs are worth their weight in gold.

Thanks. Thats the name I was looking for, Melvin Gordon. Even if we keep Gore, I still think we need to look to the future. Good running backs are a dime a dozen, but Great running backs are worth their weight in gold.

I believe Melvin Gordon is worth that pick. Plus we do need a RB. We can't keep going with Gore. Even if he comes back he is getting older. Gordon likely goes 15 - 20 according to most mocks. I really think he is worth a pick in that range. He is better than most backs that came out in recent years. The vision and ability to make people miss is outstanding. He has enough speed although he is not blazing. His quickness is outstanding. He is definitely faster than Frank Gore.
That is true. Plus I think the real top tier guys are gone. The true difference makers is about 10 deep. They won't be available at #15.

I think there are potential starters at #15 no matter who teams pick ahead of them. Possible first year starters who could be available at #15 are Devante Parker, Jalen Strong, Trae Waynes, Eddie Goldman, possibly even Danny Shelton and let's not forget DGB.
All depends on how the player you pick turns out. You can get a guy at 15 that turns out better than multiple picks added together that you got form a trade down. You might trade down and draft some duds just like you might draft a dud at 15.
I believe we're going to trade back with Carolina and they are going to pick DGB

• 9moon
  • Veteran
I still say that we trade down if both Shelton and Parket are not available.

I can see both Cincy and Chicago trying to load up their team from this year's draft so this is a possibility.

Trade One:

Cincy gets SF's 1st & 4th (2015) and drafts: Landon Collins; FS - Alabama

SF gets Cincy's 1st, 2nd & 5th (2015)

Trade Two:

Chicago gets SF's 1st (2015 from Cincy) & swap 3rd (SF own) : Chicago selects Brett Hundley; QB - UCLA

SF gets Chicago's (2015) 2nd, 3rd and 1st round (2016)

Trade Three:

SF gets Pats (2015) 1st round
Pats gets SF (own 2016 1st rnd) and SF's 3rd (71 from Chicago)

WILL NOW HAVE:

R1 - 32) Dorial Green Becham; WR - Oklahoma

R2 - 39) Owagmagbe Odighizuwa; DE - UCLA
R2 - 46) Quentin Rollins; CB - Miami (OH)
R2 - 53) Carl Davis; DT - Iowa

R4 - comp) Bryce Petty; QB - Baylor

R5 - 143) Zach Hodges; OLB - Harvard
R5 - 149) Karlos Williams; RB - FSU

R6 - 174) Ellis McCarthy; DT - UCLA

R7 - 221) Tony Lippett; WR - Michigan State
R7 - comp) Trenton Brown; OT - Florida
[ Edited by 9moon on Feb 27, 2015 at 1:52 PM ]
So I've been thinking about this a lot. It wouldn't be a bad idea to trade out of the 15 spot and contiue to trade back until we can gather at least 20 picks in the 7th round. Imagine the fire power we would have? A whole team of Bruce Millers or Cam Johnsons. Championship!!!
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 27, 2015 at 2:05 PM ]
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tslope90:
I believe we're going to trade back with Carolina and they are going to pick DGB

I believe Baalke will trade down in the 1st and Carolina is a good target, especially if either OT Scherff or Peat are still on the board at #15, for Carolina is looking to upgrade its O-Line. However I think Baalke is going DL at #25, either Armstead or Carl Davis (both will be gone by mid 2nd Rd when Niners pick again).
I could then see Baalke goin WR (Perriman, Devin Smith, Dorsett or Conley) at #46 and either RB (Ajayi, Duke Johnson, Amer Abdullah) or CB (Alex Carter, Kevin Johnson, Quentin Rollins, Byron Jones) at #57 in the 2nd.
IMO the drafts elite difference makers are about 10 deep. If you have a top 5 to top 10 pick I think it makes sense to stay put and pick. If you are at 15 I don't believe any player there will massively transform this team. No one player at 15 will put us over the top. Trading up is also very, very expensive from a points standpoint if you look at the trade chart they have developed. It's just too expensive to trade up in the 1st round. If you trade up in the 2nd or 3rd round that is more manageable especially if you have obtained more picks by trading back. I think that is the way for us to go.

You must consider Justin Smith is older and may retire or drop off anytime. Ray McDonald is gone. Iupati is likely gone. Crabtree is likely gone. Gore may not return. Our NT gets hurt every single year. Sometimes more than one of them. We have big needs at DE, RB, OG, WR, NT and we could use a CB but I think the best one in the draft will likely be gone by #15. I just think trading back for us makes more sense. Fill more needs. We won't get an elite player anyway. Now if we were sitting at the Raiders spot I would say stay put and pick. I think they can get a difference maker there.

I think Kevin White, Danny Shelton and Trae Waynes are all likely gone at #15. Some top players at WR, NT/DT and CB. Some need positions that we could fill. I think those are difference makers. Perhaps one is in play for us. I would be very happy to grab any of the 3. If we can get one stay and pick. If not I would rather trade down. Of course you need somebody to trade down with. That is an opportunity that must present it self. Sometimes it does and sometimes it does not.

It's simply too early to say an impact player won't be available at 15. A player predicted to go in the top 10 falls to 15 in every draft. there's no telling whether that player will be of interest to the 49ers at this stage.

Having said that, there's every possibility the 49ers will move up or down - but it's not likely to happen until the draft is under way and it becomes clearer how the selections will fall.
So I've been thinking about this a lot. It wouldn't be a bad idea to trade out of the 15 spot and contiue to trade back until we can gather at least 20 picks in the 7th round. Imagine the fire power we would have? A whole team of Bruce Millers or Cam Johnsons. Championship!!!

Share 49ersWebzone