LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Is the WZ Wide Receiver obsessed for the NFL Draft?

Is the WZ Wide Receiver obsessed for the NFL Draft?

Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I'm on my phone, but has anyone in this thread mentioned the whole "Baalke wanted ODBJR but couldn't find a trade partner" story from last year?

Cause that happened too. It's not just the Zone that wants a shiny new receiver on this team.
Makes sense to me. It does make me wonder though how serious Baalke was about trading up for Beckham. I also wanted Brandin Cooks. Did Baalke not think highly of Cooks because that trade would have been a lot cheaper.
Old news, isn't it? Baalke stated that the asking price for Odell was too high.

And yes, there is always some possibility that a GM doesn't think that a prospect is worth a 20th ovr (Cooks). Perhaps he would have initiated a trade if the guy fell to mid-20th or so.
Given that Cooks hasn't lightened it up in a pass-happy and working offense whereas Beckham was lights-out, Baalke made a good job, imho.
[ Edited by communist on Mar 2, 2015 at 6:12 AM ]
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
If you don't think having a speedy WR would help us. I don't know what to tell ya...go look back at tape from 2012 with moss he didn't have to catch a bunch of balls to be a game changer for us.

At this point I'm really done trying to argue with everyone who thinks we don't need help at our skilled positions. It blows mind that people can actually say the current players at WR will make us better than last year. I hope baalke doesn't feel the same.

way to bail on your argument. isnt your argument that if we had deep threats such as in 2012 teams wouldnt be able cover 3 on us ?
well we did play seattle in 2012 with kaep as qb. and they played cover 3 on us. remind us how that went ? don't want to ? ok I'll remind you. we were held to second lowest rush total for that season. we had 6 pts at the halftime and like 70 passing yards, down by 3 possessions. the presence of 'deep threats' did absolutely nothing in that game.

do I think a speedy WR will help our team ? sure.
so will a good corner or a good 3-4 DE. so will a better pass pro LG or RT
given that Crabs is likely gone and Stevie might be gone, A WR, would help.

speedy WR is a luxury that is never really needed. it's nice to have, but it doesnt make a huge difference speed is overrated. so is qbs' armstrength.

teams that play cover 3 and stack the box like seahags, will continue to stack the box no matter who the WRs or QBs are. its what they do and their success in doing so speaks for itself.

as long as we are a run-first team, other teams will also continue to stack the box on us, until we can consistently blow the lid off, something that run-first nearly never do.

Not bailing on anything...I've been talking about the benefits of adding some speed to our skilled positions for a while, not just with you.

Yes I understand that Seattle runs cover 3 and it most likely doesn't change how they approach each game. I do know they probably won't have Maxwell next year and both of their safeties have been dealing with injuries. We also played other teams besides Seattle. I believe we lost 8 games last year and they all weren't to Seattle.

When you have 3 of your starting WRs that offer the same strengths like we did last year, it doesn't help. What's wrong with creating miss matches?? We drafted 23 players in the past 2 drafts and only 7 of those players (still on the team) were on offense.

As far as run 1st teams...Look at Baltimore they were a run 1st team (8th in the league), but also had the "luxury" of going deep with Smith. You don't think having a player like that helped with running the ball? Kap his 1st 2 years as a starter was ranked 2nd in the league in deep ball accuracy (50.7%) we basically took that advantage away last season.

I still want to run the ball and that shouldn't change. I do think losing our best run blocking lineman doesn't help with our power run philosophy. I just don't get why people are so against having a little balance and using our QB to his strengths?

Baalke has proven that he can find value at the CB position (and drafted 4 DB's in last years draft) He drafted 2 O-lineman in the 3rd round last year, why can't one of them take over for LG? (they both played the position at some point in college)... I do believe we need help on the DL and I have no issue going DL in the 1st or 2nd and drafting a WR in the 1st or 2nd.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 2, 2015 at 7:20 AM ]
Baalke isn't drafting a Wide Receiver in the first round.

My bet is defense, if not, then Oline.

The 49ers want to get back to hard-nosed, run first, defensive minded football team. Baalke will make sure Tomsula is well fortified in those areas before they start blowing picks on first round WR's.

Seattle doesn't have an elite WR.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Stanley:

The 49ers want to get back to hard-nosed, run first, defensive minded football team. Baalke will make sure Tomsula is well fortified in those areas before they start blowing picks on first round WR's.

I just think they want to get back to blocking period
Originally posted by Stanley:

What do you mean get back to? I'm pretty sure that is what they have been doing for the past 4+ years They were 9th in attempts and 4th in rushing last year, While they were 30th in passing and 29th in attempts.

Who cares about Seattle and what they do, honestly? They run a different offense with zone-blocking, a ton of read options, and play actions. Why draft 2 O-lineman in the 3rd round last year if your not gonna play them?

Baalke has drafted 1 WR within the first 3 rds since becoming the GM, so I don't really get the blowing picks on 1st rd WRs thing? Like I mentioned earlier they drafted 23 picks in the past 2 years and only 7 (still on the team) were on offense.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I'm on my phone, but has anyone in this thread mentioned the whole "Baalke wanted ODBJR but couldn't find a trade partner" story from last year?

Cause that happened too. It's not just the Zone that wants a shiny new receiver on this team.
Makes sense to me. It does make me wonder though how serious Baalke was about trading up for Beckham. I also wanted Brandin Cooks. Did Baalke not think highly of Cooks because that trade would have been a lot cheaper.
Old news, isn't it? Baalke stated that the asking price for Odell was too high.

And yes, there is always some possibility that a GM doesn't think that a prospect is worth a 20th ovr (Cooks). Perhaps he would have initiated a trade if the guy fell to mid-20th or so.
Given that Cooks hasn't lightened it up in a pass-happy and working offense whereas Beckham was lights-out, Baalke made a good job, imho.
I disagree... Cooks did just fine for a rookie till he got hurt. 53 receptions on 70 targets. 10.4 yards per catch and 3 tds. Brees spread the ball around. After Jimmy graham the leading wr was Kenny Stills with 63 recp and then Colston with 59...

Beckham was a beast for sure but he would have been worth it. Don't know what the price was but we would have probably lost the 1st round pick, maybe the 2nd or some of the 3rd's or picks from this year... who knows, the draft chart shows it was about 600 hundred points or so.

Baalke is going to be in the same position again this year. Not trying to just bash him but I do think he is dropping the ball on the wr position. He keeps going after these bargain basement guys hoping that they will turn into studs or hoping these vets will resurrect their career. (Moss, Stevie, Lloyd, Ginn, Patton, jenkins, ellington, etc...) The young guys still need time, but the longer we wait, Gore, Smith, Willis, Oline etc. get older and contracts come up.

I know people think we need depth and have holes to fill but the biggest freaking hole we have had for years is scoring points and scoring in the redzone. Baalke needs to target a guy in FA or the draft and do whatever it takes to go get him. IMO...

and I know we want to run the ball. That's fine. But you need someone opposite of Boldin. If Boldin, Vernon and the #2 wr are still on the field all the time, the D can just stack the box and double up Boldin if the #2 is no threat. Cooks would have been worth it, Beckham even at the high price would have as well. So this year, if it's Kevin White or Cooper or Torrey Smith or whoever "the guy" is that they like the best, They should go get him, or the offense will be stuck doing the same old thing.
[ Edited by jacklegniner on Mar 2, 2015 at 9:52 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone