LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Byron Jones CB UConn

Originally posted by tohara3:
Looks like a hell of a player in the right system for sure

Can't really overestimate how scary Jones might be in Seattle's system. A 6'1", 200 pound press corner with freakish athleticism that is readily coachable....oh boy.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 23, 2015 at 7:10 PM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
he has the same body as taylor mays
Originally posted by xcfan:
he has the same body as taylor mays

6'1, 199 versus 6'3", 230................
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
6'1, 199 versus 6'3", 230................

same type of body...

jones...mays...vernon davis...you know, linear supermen. fish out of water on a football field; phantom athletes.
same type of body...

jones...mays...vernon davis...you know, linear supermen. fish out of water on a football field; phantom athletes.

Which tells me that you've never even once seen Jones play.

Being athletic doesn't somehow mean that he's lacking as a football player. Has played cornerback and safety well, a far more fluid guy than Mays ever was at USC. If Jones played for a school in the SEC instead of UConn, I think he'd be more highly regarded than he is, but to claim that he's just an athlete playing football is silly. I wanted the 49ers to draft him before he even lit it up at the Combine because he's a pretty fundamentally sound press corner who has the versatility to play safety as well.

He also had one of the better 3 cone times at the Combine for a CB which I've always thought was more important for predicting a CB's success in the NFL than 40 times do.

Cover Skills-2-Press CB with plus size, athleticism and range. Above-average fluidity for a bigger CB. Quick flips off the hips and shows quality agility mirroring receivers in trail man technique. Displays some tightness in ankles with off man technique. Quick short-area burst transitioning out of breaks. Also flashes an extra gear with long speed to recover.

Ball Skills-2-Average playmaking instincts and production for career (18 PBU, 6 INT). Takes quality angles to the point once locating the ball. Size, strength and explosive leaping ability provide him with a lot of range in this area. Has the ability to hold up against bigger receivers in contested situations. Know when to play the ball and when to play the man. Good hand eye-coordination and body control adjusting to throws outside of frame. Flips switch quickly after securing INT and has the speed to pick up healthy yards.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 23, 2015 at 8:07 PM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
if his measureables translated to the field, he'd be a top-5 pick.
if his measureables translated to the field, he'd be a top-5 pick.

His measurables only serve as confirmation of what he has been able to do out on the field. He was already ranked in the Top 50 prospects on NFL.com. The only things I see hurting him are his level of competition at UConn but he conclusively showed today that he's got truly outstanding overall athletic ability.

If anything, his athleticism was one of the things that was questioned about him.

Not a quick-twitch athlete

Meanwhile his positives..........

Extremely smart and instinctive on the field. Shows above-average anticipation of routes. Is able to sniff out rub routes and works to avoid them. Flashes recovery speed downfield and gets head around to find ball and make a play on it. Uses instincts and adequate closing burst to disrupt the catch. Generally reliable tackler. Team captain and leader on the field and in the locker room. Scouts say he's willing to play hurt and inspires his teammates.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 23, 2015 at 8:24 PM ]
  • crew
  • Veteran
"Team captain and leader on the field and in the locker room. Scouts say he's willing to play hurt and inspires his teammates."

This is what draws me to him over a Marcus Peters, dare I say, Ronnie Lott qualities...
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
nothing else but quick twitch jumps 12-3. fire that "not quick twitch" scout.
Originally posted by crew:
"Team captain and leader on the field and in the locker room. Scouts say he's willing to play hurt and inspires his teammates."

This is what draws me to him over a Marcus Peters, dare I say, Ronnie Lott qualities...

I would not be happy to see him in Seattle. A guy with his determination and freakish athleticism could be a nightmare once they instructed him in the arts of Grab-Fu.

His interview at 33 seconds.

Very well-spoken.

• crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I would not be happy to see him in Seattle. A guy with his determination and freakish athleticism could be a nightmare once they instructed him in the arts of Grab-Fu.

I want to see Baalke take Jones with that mid 3rd Rd pick for he'll be off the board by the end of 4th Rd when Niners pick again.
Despite his combine performance his play on the field was good, not great. He's arguably a 3rd or early 4th rd pick. Don't be fooled by a strong combine...what really matters is what he does on the field. He's no Waynes or Peters.
The more I watch this kid and hear him speak I start to believe this is EXACTLY the type of player Baalke loves, not only physically but mentally. He played like 20 games at safety and around 20 games at corner so he has versatility that Baalke looks for. He has nice size for a corner and the long arms and high vertical that is another Baalke special. He was I believe a captain and is VERY well spoken. I heard him on Jim Rome today talk about working for one of the senators of Connecticut I believe.

I can really see Baalke using our 2nd or 3rd round pick on him, especially if we lose Culliver. Matter of fact he reminds me a lot of Culliver and I would not be upset even if Baalke took him in the 2nd round. When we picked Cully in the 3rd round people were calling Baalke crazy saying cully was a 5-6th round talent. I think we all know Baalke knows how to pick DB's. I think this kid could be special. He has the skill to be the press man lock down corner we've been looking for.

I think Cully is going to go to a team that offers him more than we can afford. So I could see our DB's looking like this next year and in the future if we draft Byron Jones.

Starters: Brock and D. Johnson(maybe Cox)
Nickel: Jimmy Ward
Reserves: Jones, Acker, Reiser

And in the future: (2-3 years)
Starters- Brock, Byron Jones
Nickel- D. Johnson
FS- Jimmy Ward
SS- Eric Reid
Sounds like he could be a steal... wonder where he will get drafted. I think anywhere from early 2nd-3rd round.
Share 49ersWebzone