There are 251 users in the forums

Trade the 15th Pick

Trade the 15th Pick

Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
He has Calvin Johnson like intangibles and he's gonna fall in our lap at 15. Let's not get too cute.

I'm an Ohio State Student, and I can tell you that Smith is a one trick pony. He will defintemy provide us with a drop threat which we need, but that's all he provides. DGB can provide us that and a lot more.

Intangibles are not what makes Calvin Johnson so great. DGB is nowhere near a Julio Jones kind of athlete much less Megatron.

As far as Devin Smith goes, you may be right; but I don't think so. The dude has a rare ability to locate the ball quickly and go up & get it (39 inch vertical). And he's surprisingly hard to bring down for his size.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Feb 22, 2015 at 12:27 PM ]
Baalke will probably pick Malcom Brown DE Texas at 15. I've noticed he's moving up the boards and lands around our slot. Makes football sense but it's not the flash people are looking for. Kind of a nod to Coach.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Since it looks we are only receiving 9 picks in this yrs draft & there are plenty of quality WR's available in this yrs draft i think Baalke either trys to either trade up to get someone like Kevin White or if he is already gone maybe we trade down to add maybe a late 2nd round pick or early 3rd to make up for having single digits picks this year.

What do u guys think? I think it makes sense if they fall in love with Dorial Green-Beckam & they know he will be there late in the 1st anyways.

Im counting on a trade down pretty much. There is some good depth at RB and the DL and you know Baalke loves getting up to bat as many times as possible.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 22, 2015 at 12:32 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
He has Calvin Johnson like intangibles and he's gonna fall in our lap at 15. Let's not get too cute.

I'm an Ohio State Student, and I can tell you that Smith is a one trick pony. He will definitely provide us with a deep threat which we need, but that's all he provides. DGB can provide us that and a lot more.

Intangibles are not what makes Calvin Johnson so great. DGB is nowhere near a Julio Jones kind of athlete much less Megatron.

As far as Devin Smith goes, you may be right; but I don't think so. The dude has a rare ability to locate the ball quickly and go up & get it (39 inch vertical). And he's surprisingly hard to bring down for his size.

I'm all for Devin Smith, he definitely has potential, but in that case I would definitely be for trading down. And yes, obviously DGB is not as good as Calvin, or Julio for that matter, but you can't deny that his size and speed definitely resembles that of a Calvin Johnson, ball skills is another story, but who knows, no one ever thought Odell Beckham would be this good, you need to give a rookie a shot before reaching a conclusion. I really like DGB's potential, you're right it may be a reach to take him at 15, but the way I look at it, this kid would be a top 5 pick if not for his off-field issues, and likely the first WR off the board, and though a risk, we get a lot of upside at 15.

We also might get lucky and have Cooper or White fall to us at 15, which is another reason I don't want to trade down. I like our pick because I feel like we are guaranteed a solid pick up. Whether we decide to use that on Melvin Gordon or a WR. Maybe we can take a OL as well, but that would be a boring pick lol.
[ Edited by 4everFaithful on Feb 22, 2015 at 12:44 PM ]
but you can't deny that his size and speed definitely resembles that of a Calvin Johnson

Sure I can. Size? Yes. Speed? No.

We also might get lucky and have Cooper or White fall to us at 15,

Not a chance. They're both gone in the first 8 picks at the latest.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Feb 22, 2015 at 12:49 PM ]
It's impossible to say at this point. I think we're more likely to trade down than up - unless a player Baalke falls in love with slides within striking distance. Given the depth at WR, I could see TB using 15 to get the best pass rusher available. If there's nobody there he sees as a good value, maybe we move down for more picks...
Originally posted by slowriot:
It's impossible to say at this point. I think we're more likely to trade down than up - unless a player Baalke falls in love with slides within striking distance. Given the depth at WR, I could see TB using 15 to get the best pass rusher available. If there's nobody there he sees as a good value, maybe we move down for more picks...

This. Without watching the draft play out, who knows where the value is? If white falls to 10 or later, trading up seems smart. If the WR and DL we'd take at 15 are gone, trading back seems smart.
but you can't deny that his size and speed definitely resembles that of a Calvin Johnson

Calvin: 6'5" 236, ran a 4.3
DGB: 6'6" 237, ran a 4.4

Damn near identical if you ask me, give or take an inch on height, give or take a pound on weight, give or take a millisecond on speed.

Here are some articles you might like that show you how they match up:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000471844/article/dorial-greenbeckham-measures-even-with-calvin-johnson
http://www.nbcsports.com/college-football/all-american-bowl/green-beckham-next-calvin-johnson

I'm not saying he's the next Calvin Johnson, but a guy with these intangibles is definitely one you want to take a risk on.

Damn near identical if you ask me, give or take an inch on height, give or take a pound on weight, give or take a millisecond on speed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000471844/article/dorial-greenbeckham-measures-even-with-calvin-johnson
http://www.nbcsports.com/college-football/all-american-bowl/green-beckham-next-calvin-johnson

I'm not saying he's the next Calvin Johnson, but a guy with these intangibles is definitely one you want to take a risk on.

It's precisely his intangibles that will push him down the board - not his impressive measurables.
Originally posted by slowriot:

It's precisely his intangibles that will push him down the board - not his impressive measurables.

True, my bad, I tend to confuse the definition of intangibles, I always thought it meant something similar to measurables, but after checking out the dictionary I understand the difference now. Lol, thank you for the english lesson.

If Parker and White are gone by 15 then I'm fine with it
True, my bad, I tend to confuse the definition of intangibles, I always thought it meant something similar to measurables, but after checking out the dictionary I understand the difference now. Lol, thank you for the english lesson.

I'm intrigued by his abilities as well. If he can keep his head on straight, he could be a great player. I'm also a big fan of White, Cooper and Parker and wouldn't be opposed to any of them at 15.
Just dont think any of the top of guys at WR are gonna be there when we go on the clock. What would it take to get to the 8-10 range and get White who to me is the best WR in this class.

Didn't Calvin run a 4.32 and jump out of the stadium? And didn't DGB run a 4.49 and jump like a QB? That's not that similar. Besides that, CJ plays SOOOOOOOOOO much stronger that it is currently hard to take this comparison seriously. Maybe DGB is more physical with the added muscle, but he's still not in CJ's league as an athlete, IMO.
Originally posted by Whosgotitbetter:
Just dont think any of the top of guys at WR are gonna be there when we go on the clock. What would it take to get to the 8-10 range and get White who to me is the best WR in this class.

Negotiations would probably start with our 2nd round pick.
Share 49ersWebzone