OLB Alvin "Bud" Dupree Kentucky

• crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Lynch

Who is the back up to aldon and lynch mijo

Your not drafting someone in the 1st or 2nd to be a backup...

Think Lynden Trail in the 3rd RD - 6'7", 270lb., 34 7/8" arms, has run a 4.65, type of player Baalke loves.
Originally posted by crew:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Lynch

Who is the back up to aldon and lynch mijo

Your not drafting someone in the 1st or 2nd to be a backup...

Think Lynden Trail in the 3rd RD - 6'7", 270lb., 34 7/8" arms, has run a 4.65, type of player Baalke loves.

Yeah I'm all for Lynden in the 3rd if they are looking for pass rusher's with value!
Originally posted by crew:

He ran 4.96 and 5.09 and looks slow in drills. I think he's a 4-3 DE. The analysts at the combine are saying they think he will put on 20-25 pounds and be a different player in a couple seasons, but as of right now, he'd be a very slow 3-4 OLB or a weak 3-4 DE. Preston Smith has pretty good length in the second round and has better size for a 3-4 DE.
On 2nd thought, Smith is probably more of a 3-4 OLB because DE would be a waste of his ability to bend and rush the passer. Not sure if we need an OLB that early.
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
On 2nd thought, Smith is probably more of a 3-4 OLB because DE would be a waste of his ability to bend and rush the passer. Not sure if we need an OLB that early.

Well maybe Trail's times drop him into lower 4th RD where he would be good value. Preston Smith might be off the board by Niners pick at #46 in RD2.
Dupree is definitely going in the 1st now. Ran a 4.57 (unofficial) at 6'4 269 with a 42" vertical and 11'6" broad jump. Those are scary numbers. The one thing he doesn't have is great length (32 5/8" arms), but he could be a really good 3-4 OLB. Not really a need for the 49ers, but he could be one of the BPA at 15.
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Dupree is definitely going in the 1st now. Ran a 4.57 (unofficial) at 6'4 269 with a 42" vertical and 11'6" broad jump. Those are scary numbers. The one thing he doesn't have is great length (32 5/8" arms), but he could be a really good 3-4 OLB. Not really a need for the 49ers, but he could be one of the BPA at 15.

Seems a majority of mocks had Dupree going mid to low 20s, especially to the Bengals at #21. With today's numbers, #15 would be right on target.
He would replace Brooks, would Baalke pull the trigger on an OLB in the 1st at #15 ?
  • crew
  • Veteran
Alternative to Dupree, Baalke could trade down 10+ spots, pick up a 2nd RD pick and take Preston Smith DE Miss.ST - 6'5", 271 lb., 34" arms. He put up good numbers today with a 4.74 40. He'll probably be off the board by Niners #46 pick in the 2nd.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
dupree had more freakish numbers than clowney. funny how it's under the radar. 6-4 270 & 42" vertical is unfathomable.

that being said, preston smith is noticeably stronger at the line of scrimmage; his hand play is already very good, by nfl standards.

but, if you can fix dupree's shortcomings at neutralizing power that is coming at him, you might have another demarcus ware.
Am I the only one that doesn't think Bud Dupree looks that intriguing? He's explosive, but on some of the games I watched, he looked very soft.

Originally posted by AsianJeff:
Am I the only one that doesn't think Bud Dupree looks that intriguing? He's explosive, but on some of the games I watched, he looked very soft.

I like the guy, smart player, good instincts, definitely not just a Combine warrior. There's some guys who are highly thought of and merely confirm that with their Combine performance such as Dupree and Beasley, I don't see anything wrong with that. He's a guy who has shown the ability to play with his hand down on the ground as well as to drop back in coverage, if the 49ers were to come in from out of left field and take him in the 1st round, I wouldn't be upset.

Here's his Scouts Inc profile below.

Intangibles-1-Nickname is Bud. Has an outstanding personal and football character. Is involved in FCA and is a good decision-maker off the field. Takes football seriously but is a well-rounded, well-liked person with no off-the-field incidents. A self-motivator. The son of Sophia Stephens and Alvin Dupree Sr. Is a community and leadership development major.

Instincts/Recognition-2-Works hard in tape room and transfers it to the field. Picks up on player tendencies. Has the ability to play multiple positions and shows good natural football instincts. Reads his keys and shows solid discipline from the backside. Shows good ball recognition versus the run. Has above-average awareness in zone coverage, especially for comparatively limited reps.

Take-on Skills-3-Has adequate strength to set the edge but it's not the strong point of his game. Flashes explosive pop at times but needs to play with more violence with more consistency at the point of attack. Needs to continue to develop as a hand fighter and has trouble anchoring when bigger OTs get into his frame. Shows discipline with outside contain and has athleticism to disrupt the backfield. Also makes more plays in backside pursuit than most DE/OLB types do.

Range vs. Run-1-Very good athlete with outstanding top-end speed. Holds up well in space and shows easy change of direct skills. Gives consistent effort chasing in pursuit.

Tackling-2-Reliable overall tackler. Flashes explosive snap but lacks consistent knock-back power. Has an impressive body control and ability to break down in space for his size. Still will get into trouble when he comes in too hot in outside pursuit at times. Does good job of wrapping up and driving legs through contact.

3rd Down Capabilities-2-Offers excellent scheme versatility because of his ability to rush the quarterback and drop into coverage. Has good get-off quickness and very quick hands to keep OTs hands off his pads. Has excellent redirect skills and closing burst. Shows ability to dip and bend turning the edge and flashes a quick closing burst once gaining the corner. Still needs polish as a pass rusher. Seems to lack a game plan at times. Needs to refine pass-rush moves. Also must learn to use hands better and maintain better pad level when converting speed to power. Is surprisingly athletic and fluid in coverage for his size. Consistently shows ability to turn and run with TEs in one-on-one situations. Has good range in zone coverage and looks comfortable in space.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by AsianJeff:

I like the guy, smart player, good instincts, definitely not just a Combine warrior. There's some guys who are highly thought of and merely confirm that with their Combine performance such as Dupree and Beasley, I don't see anything wrong with that. He's a guy who has shown the ability to play with his hand down on the ground as well as to drop back in coverage, if the 49ers were to come in from out of left field and take him in the 1st round, I wouldn't be upset.

Intangibles-1-Nickname is Bud. Has an outstanding personal and football character. Is involved in FCA and is a good decision-maker off the field. Takes football seriously but is a well-rounded, well-liked person with no off-the-field incidents. A self-motivator. The son of Sophia Stephens and Alvin Dupree Sr. Is a community and leadership development major.

Instincts/Recognition-2-Works hard in tape room and transfers it to the field. Picks up on player tendencies. Has the ability to play multiple positions and shows good natural football instincts. Reads his keys and shows solid discipline from the backside. Shows good ball recognition versus the run. Has above-average awareness in zone coverage, especially for comparatively limited reps.

Take-on Skills-3-Has adequate strength to set the edge but it's not the strong point of his game. Flashes explosive pop at times but needs to play with more violence with more consistency at the point of attack. Needs to continue to develop as a hand fighter and has trouble anchoring when bigger OTs get into his frame. Shows discipline with outside contain and has athleticism to disrupt the backfield. Also makes more plays in backside pursuit than most DE/OLB types do.

Range vs. Run-1-Very good athlete with outstanding top-end speed. Holds up well in space and shows easy change of direct skills. Gives consistent effort chasing in pursuit.

Tackling-2-Reliable overall tackler. Flashes explosive snap but lacks consistent knock-back power. Has an impressive body control and ability to break down in space for his size. Still will get into trouble when he comes in too hot in outside pursuit at times. Does good job of wrapping up and driving legs through contact.

3rd Down Capabilities-2-Offers excellent scheme versatility because of his ability to rush the quarterback and drop into coverage. Has good get-off quickness and very quick hands to keep OTs hands off his pads. Has excellent redirect skills and closing burst. Shows ability to dip and bend turning the edge and flashes a quick closing burst once gaining the corner. Still needs polish as a pass rusher. Seems to lack a game plan at times. Needs to refine pass-rush moves. Also must learn to use hands better and maintain better pad level when converting speed to power. Is surprisingly athletic and fluid in coverage for his size. Consistently shows ability to turn and run with TEs in one-on-one situations. Has good range in zone coverage and looks comfortable in space.

Thanks for this. Very high class guy. Might as well put him in a niner uni lol
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
All I know is that it was either Dupree's name or McKinney's name who I kept hearin all of last year on the defensive side of the ball..

Heck, if both are available in round 1, and round 2, I say we take each of them.. McKinney would be a big time insurance just in case Bowman can't be the same player before the injury..
Originally posted by 9moon:
All I know is that it was either Dupree's name or McKinney's name who I kept hearin all of last year on the defensive side of the ball..

Heck, if both are available in round 1, and round 2, I say we take each of them.. McKinney would be a big time insurance just in case Bowman can't be the same player before the injury..

Take linebackers in rounds 1 and 2? That would be worse than taking WR's in the first 2 rounds

The one major downside Dupree has as a pass rusher is his lack of length (32 5/8", which isn't disastrous but isn't good). Ware had 34" arms and Clowney had 34 1/2" arms. It's hard to find successful pass rushers with arms under 33", but it's even harder to find guys 270 pounds who are this explosive. I like Dupree a lot in spite of his mediocre length, but I don't really want us to use our first pick on an OLB when we have Aldon Smith and Aaron Lynch.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/Ware,Demarcus-OLB%2BDE-Troy%20State.htm

The arm length for the top 5 guys in sacks this past season:
1. Justin Houston - 34 1/2"
2. JJ Watt - 34"
3. Elvis Dumervil - 32"
4. Connor Barwin - 33"
5. Mario Williams - 34 1/8"

Other top pass rushers:
Aldon Smith - 35 3/8"
Von Miller - 33 1/2"
Robert Quinn - 34"
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Dupree will go somewhere between 15-22 in this draft, he probably will be on the board at #15 when Niners pick. I could see Baalke picking him at #15, Jalen Collins, Devante Parker, Arik Armstead or Jaelen Strong. As well as a trade down to lower 1st Rd to get an extra pick and take either someone like Carl Davis or Preston Smith with that lower 1st Rd pick.
Lots of options for Baalke.
[ Edited by crew on Feb 25, 2015 at 10:13 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone