LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 223 users in the forums

Ali Marpet, OL, Hobart

Marpet's combine wouldn't be all that special if it wasn't such a bad year for OL.

Typically, there are 2-3 OL that get picked in the first 10 picks.

Nothing eye-popping IMO about the numbers he put up given his size.

Projects as a LG in a Zone-Blocking scheme, and let's be real, he's not gonna come in from a D3 school and see the field his 1st year. Not saying he will never be a good player, but s**t gets real in the trenches in the NFL on Sunday's and he is not physically overwhelming enough to make up for that much of a lack polish and experience against top competition.

4th round, even with his combine, and that's if his toughness checks out.
Originally posted by LowerTheBoom:
Marpet's combine wouldn't be all that special if it wasn't such a bad year for OL.

Typically, there are 2-3 OL that get picked in the first 10 picks.

Nothing eye-popping IMO about the numbers he put up given his size.

Projects as a LG in a Zone-Blocking scheme, and let's be real, he's not gonna come in from a D3 school and see the field his 1st year. Not saying he will never be a good player, but s**t gets real in the trenches in the NFL on Sunday's and he is not physically overwhelming enough to make up for that much of a lack polish and experience against top competition.

4th round, even with his combine, and that's if his toughness checks out.

I think the thing that really opened people's eyes was the Senior Bowl. This wasn't a mini All-Star game like the Texas vs. the Nation, NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, or Gridiron Classic. It wasn't the East West Shrine game. It was against the top prospects in the nation at the Senior Bowl. Somehow, this DIII guy no one knew about a couple months ago was stonewalling the 350+ pound Danny Shelton and late 1st-2nd round pass rusher Nate Orchard.

On one hand, I think there's much validity in the skepticism of his ability to contribute soon, but I think there's equal validity to the argument that he could surprise and do better than expected early on. Really it's a toss-up right now. We'll see what happens.

I'd give him a mid to late 3rd round grade right now.
You know Baalke he love's him sum Swing position players
Share 49ersWebzone