There are 312 users in the forums

Maybe misguided

• Andra
  • Veteran
I got an idea that someone may have said before because it seems like an obvious choice so I'll post it anyways. Why not go after Torey Smith in free agency that way we use our early draft picks on d-line and o-line. I have to admit that I have not researched any of the WR in the draft this year or any players period. But I don't like our recent history of drafting WR and d-line is my biggest concern. Tell me why I'm an idiot
Because they will probably franchise him. If they can't re-sign him.
[ Edited by English on Feb 18, 2015 at 12:01 PM ]
Too expensive. We only have a couple million to play with right now so don't expect any splash free agents.
Originally posted by Andra:
I got an idea that someone may have said before because it seems like an obvious choice so I'll post it anyways. Why not go after Torey Smith in free agency that way we use our early draft picks on d-line and o-line. I have to admit that I have not researched any of the WR in the draft this year or any players period. But I don't like our recent history of drafting WR and d-line is my biggest concern. Tell me why I'm an idiot

Because SF focuses on resigning their own players and have no cap space for Torrey Smith. They build through the draft and need cheap rookie contracts, not over paid free agents.

Our history of drafting WRs (under Baalke) has been ONE WR in the 1st round and a bunch of "development" WRs in the 4th or later....adding FA WRs has been part of the reason that these young wide-outs haven't had a chance to play.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
I had Torrey Smith on my FF team last year so I would be surprised if they franchised tagged him he did not have a great year and Steve Smith seems to have taken over the number one receiver spot. I also think that we will have the cap space after we release our FA's. But I do agree that our young WR's need more of a chance to prove themselves.
I had Torrey Smith on my FF team last year so I would be surprised if they franchised tagged him he did not have a great year and Steve Smith seems to have taken over the number one receiver spot. I also think that we will have the cap space after we release our FA's. But I do agree that our young WR's need more of a chance to prove themselves.

They are looking at a $13 million franchise tag for Torrey Smith He isn't even close to worth that. He might get a boost with Trestmen as the OC though. I'd rather grab a play like Devin Smith then pay a crap load of money to him.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 18, 2015 at 4:41 PM ]
Originally posted by English:

I don't believe that they'll franchise Smith. He's looked at as a bit of a disappointment, hasn't really developed all that well. Talented receiver but he's nowhere near worth what the franchise tag would entail. I see him as a max $6-8 mil per season guy.

He should have taken the deal the Ravens offered him before if this is accurate.

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports the Ravens offered free agent Torrey Smith a five-year, $35 million deal that included $19 million guaranteed before the season.
It's an offer Smith will have a hard time matching in free agency after posting a 49/767/11 line in 2014. Smith is one of the league's very best deep threats, but his game hasn't evolved to that of a true No. 1 receiver's. Re-signing with Baltimore makes the most sense for both sides, but Smith may need to test the open market to ensure fair value
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 18, 2015 at 3:58 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by English:

I don't believe that they'll franchise Smith. He's looked at as a bit of a disappointment, hasn't really developed all that well. Talented receiver but he's nowhere near worth what the franchise tag would entail. I see him as a max $6-8 mil per season guy.

He should have taken the deal the Ravens offered him before if this is accurate.

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports the Ravens offered free agent Torrey Smith a five-year, $35 million deal that included $19 million guaranteed before the season.
It's an offer Smith will have a hard time matching in free agency after posting a 49/767/11 line in 2014. Smith is one of the league's very best deep threats, but his game hasn't evolved to that of a true No. 1 receiver's. Re-signing with Baltimore makes the most sense for both sides, but Smith may need to test the open market to ensure fair value

lol, screw the reception and yards, he had 11 TDs, that's pretty damn good for a WR. He is as good as Cobb IMO. So $8M is where I think he ends up at.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
I like the niners dropping crabs and getting Torrey Smith for 8 million and then drafting a d-linemen first.
I like the niners dropping crabs and getting Torrey Smith for 8 million and then drafting a d-linemen first.

They don't have $8 million currently and I don't think he is worth that. IF they sign him then I doubt they can bring back Gore and either Culliver/Cox.

Crabs is a FA and currently isn't on the 49ers.

This draft is full of really good CHEAP WRs let someone else pay Smith.

• Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

They don't have $8 million currently and I don't think he is worth that. IF they sign him then I doubt they can bring back Gore and either Culliver/Cox.

I see what you are saying but I just think that d-line is more of a need than WR and if nothing else we should not get a WR until the second round

I see what you are saying but I just think that d-line is more of a need than WR and if nothing else we should not get a WR until the second round

I'm not say draft a WR in the 1st, we were talking about T Smith I thought lol.

Also it's one thing to draft based on position need and another thing to draft BPA. I don't want them to reach for DL because they "need" to fill that spot. Baalke has shown to be able to find value for DL in the draft WR not so much.

No more "developmental" WR picks...I'm fine with going WR/DL in the 1st two rounds or vice versa.
  • Andra
  • Veteran

Also it's one thing to draft based on position need and another thing to draft BPA. I don't want them to reach for DL because they "need" to fill that spot. Baalke has shown to be able to find value for DL in the draft WR not so much.

No more "developmental" WR picks...I'm fine with going WR/DL in the 1st two rounds or vice versa.

We were talking about T Smith but I brought him up not really because I wanted him specifically but that I think he fit the bill of what we are looking for in a WR and we could use our first round pick on a D-linemen.
I agree that we don't want to reach to fill a need but we just have not had much luck drafting WR's which is why I was thinking of going after a FA WR.

We were talking about T Smith but I brought him up not really because I wanted him specifically but that I think he fit the bill of what we are looking for in a WR and we could use our first round pick on a D-linemen.
I agree that we don't want to reach to fill a need but we just have not had much luck drafting WR's which is why I was thinking of going after a FA WR.

Well I don't see a DT that will be there at 15 that is worth a 1st round pick at that spot. They have Tank, Dial, Dorsey, Williams, TJE and hopefully Smith all ready to roll. People keep saying we haven't had luck at WR, but Baalke has drafted ONE WR (at 30) in the 1st rd since he has been the GM...every other WR has been in the 4th or later which equals "developmental" or project picks to me.

Higher picks are regarded as "safer" so why not go for the safer pick at a position that you feel SF is bad at valuating? Baalke has shown he can find value at DL and CB through out the draft.

They have the 5th worst cap situation in the league so far and still have to take care of their own FAs...they will not be making a play for any big names.
  • Andra
  • Veteran

Well I don't see a DT that will be there at 15 that is worth a 1st round pick at that spot. They have Tank, Dial, Dorsey, Williams, TJE and hopefully Smith all ready to roll. People keep saying we haven't had luck at WR, but Baalke has drafted ONE WR (at 30) in the 1st rd since he has been the GM...every other WR has been in the 4th or later which equals "developmental" or project picks to me.

Higher picks are regarded as "safer" so why not go for the safer pick at a position that you feel SF is bad at valuating? Baalke has shown he can find value at DL and CB through out the draft.

They have the 5th worst cap situation in the league so far and still have to take care of their own FAs...they will not be making a play for any big names.

We do have a tough cap situation right now though I do think that we will let most if not all of our FA's walk to clear cap space.
Share 49ersWebzone