LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

Mariota or Winston, who will be the better QB? Who will be a bust?

Mariota or Winston, who will be the better QB? Who will be a bust?

Mirer and Bledsoe, Manning and Leaf, Luck and RG3, all QB's taken #1 and #2 and within a few years or less, it was quite clear that the guy chosen first was the better player.

Who would you take, Mariota or Winston and why? Which one will be a bust and if none, which one will ultimately have the better career?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
My personal comparisons...

Winston - Jameis is the result if you were to put Culpepper, Big Ben and Ryan Leaf all in one..

Mariota - Marcus is the result if you were to put Tommy Maddox, Jeff Garcia and Archie Manning all in one..
Mariota will be better IMO
I'm 12 years old and what is this?
I dont think either are going to be great NFL Qbs but I would take Mariota before I would take Winston. Winston has way too many maturity and off the field issues and the great QBs in this league rarely have that. In my opinion, Mariota has the character and the skills. He just needs to sit and learn for awhile in an NFL system.
But seriously, there's a middle ground between them sucking and being great QB's. If Mariota doesn't develop, he could be a mediocre QB who makes good decisions and can run around but can't fit the ball into tight windows or throw receivers open. Winston is going to go first and should, but that doesn't mean Mariota can't be successful or won't be better than Winston.
I think either one has the potential to be a very good starting QB in the NFL if they are put into the correct situation, and are just as likely to fail if put into a bad situation.

Winston has the off-field/maturity issue to overcome. I believe where there is smoke, there is fire. He's had enough minor issues occur to see a pattern, and he appears to have skated on others (although in this day and age, people making false accusations in order to get the almighty $$$$ seems rampant). He needs to go someplace with a Mike Singletary type who might open his eyes up to the chance he's being presented with (although you would think the speech Chris Carter makes to the Rookies would be sufficient......). I like his awareness in the pocket, anticipation on passes, and ability to keep looking downfield while moving around behind the line of scrimmage.

Mariota is a different issue - can he develop into a QB who is comfortable in the pocket in the NFL? If he tries to do what RGIII did, he'll never make it. If he can become a Russ Wilson type, who focuses on extending plays rather than running at the slightest sign of pressure, he's got a chance. Not sure how he'll do on keeping his focus downfield when he's got JJ Watt chasing him down.....
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Mirer and Bledsoe, Manning and Leaf, Luck and RG3, all QB's taken #1 and #2 and within a few years or less, it was quite clear that the guy chosen first was the better player.

Who would you take, Mariota or Winston and why? Which one will be a bust and if none, which one will ultimately have the better career?

I think Winston is the better QB right now, but doesn't have the mental make-up to make it. I wouldn't take him if I were Tampa Bay.

I think Mariota will take time to develop and is no sure thing to make it - but I like him and think his ceiling is a better version of Russell Wilson.
If they get taken high by a poor team, they could both end up disappointing. If one plummets like Aaron Rodgers we may see a franchise qb developing.
Winston has some major character problems IMO. He will find his way out of the league IMO.

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Mariota will be better IMO

Agreed, but I think both are going to end up as borderline mediocre.
Good thread Phoenix!

IMO, neither will be a top tier QB.

I think Mariota gets short-changed in opinions because he's only really excelled in an offense that hasn't been used extensively in the NFL. He may have what it takes in another system but IMO that will take time AND shouldn't be taken very high.

Winston might be a time-bomb. I think he'll go before Mariota but will be a little bit better than average like a Cullpepper.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good thread Phoenix!

IMO, neither will be a top tier QB.

I think Mariota gets short-changed in opinions because he's only really excelled in an offense that hasn't been used extensively in the NFL. He may have what it takes in another system but IMO that will take time AND shouldn't be taken very high.

Winston might be a time-bomb. I think he'll go before Mariota but will be a little bit better than average like a Cullpepper.
Mariota deserves the criticism though. Nick Foles looked better than Andrew Luck in that offense.
The Duck
I have my doubts about Mariota but there's certainly a lot to like as well.

Greg Peshek @NU_Gap · Through 12 reg. season games, Marcus Mariota is the the second highest ranking QB ever in my aggregate stats/metrics behind only R. Wilson

Share 49ersWebzone