LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

David Johnson-RB-Northern Iowa

Didn't see a thread for this guy but he's an interesting prospect. One of my favorite smaller school players in this draft, alongside his NIU teammate Xavier Williams. He's a guy that is looked at as a possible RB or H-back at the next level. Very nice build at 6'1", 225. Decisive runner with good vision that finds the hole and goes through, not a lot of stutter stepping.

Solid blocker but his real strength lies as a receiver in the passing game. Tremendous receiver out of the backfield, VERY good hands and a terrific route runner for a RB.

Very versatile guy that can line up out wide, make plays out of the backfield and just an all-around weapon that some are considering as best suited to play an h-back role in the NFL. If nothing else he appears to be a perfect 3rd down back in the NFL, a guy who can block, catch and run well. He could be very dangerous in the right offense if a team was committed to throwing the football to him consistently. I do think that he would be a very good fit in a zone blocking scheme that allows him to make his cut and go as well as be the recipient of passes coming off of playaction and bootlegs.

He also was a kickoff returner at NIU and could bring some impact there, a big guy that picks up speed and comes flying at you with a full head of steam.

2015 Senior Bowl Stock Report: Ten who stood out in Mobile...David Johnson, RB, Northern Iowa: While Abdullah may have been the flashiest back, the most impressive overall was Johnson, whose combination of size, sharp-cutting and terrific hands out of the backfield made him a mismatch in the running and receiving game. The vision, balance and determination Johnson demonstrated in the 19-yard touchdown to spark the game's scoring ranks among the most impressive individual plays. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

"Everyone has doubted this player since high school and all he does is produces. He's the hard working MVP of that offense. Not sure he'll start in the league, but I like him in a third down role, using him in the passing game." – AFC North scout

2015 Senior Bowl: 10 prospects who helped themselves: RB David Johnson, Northern Iowa (6-1, 224)...Looking like a linebacker during the weigh-ins, Johnson was another small school player who immediately proved that he belonged, especially as pass catcher out of the backfield. He doesn't have the traditional frame for the position and might be best suited as a hybrid H-back role, utilizing his ability as a receiver and blocker in pass pro. But regardless, he's a versatile prospect teams would love to add to the depth chart. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-senior-bowl/0ap3000000462773/Reese-s-Senior-Bowl-Johnson-s-19-yard-touchdown-run

http://www.nfl.com/videos/mayocks-slant/0ap3000000445753/Mayock-s-Slant-UNI-running-back-David-Johnson-looks-promising

"Intriguing kid, tremendous size at running back," Mayock said of Johnson. "Combined with an ability to catch the football. I would imagine the game he had against Iowa this year made him and his family feel pretty darn good after not getting recruited by them coming out of high school. He caught 203 yards worth of passes from the tailback position. He's got great hands. He runs routes. He made a couple stutter moves on the linebacker at Iowa that were just awesome. Then he comes to The Senior Bowl and he played really well, did everything well.

"Outstanding hands -- that's what makes him an intriguing prospect," Mayock said. "Last year, Charles Sims from West Virginia went in the third round. I think he's comparable (to Johnson) as a big back."

A senior, Johnson holds just about every school record imaginable and was a big factor in the Panthers' near upset of in-state rival Iowa and added 138 yards rushing as the program beat the then-No. 1 FCS team in North Dakota State earlier this season. Johnson was invited to next month's Senior Bowl, where Mayock thinks he make a name for himself in front of scouts.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 17, 2015 at 1:25 PM ]

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 17, 2015 at 1:24 PM ]
  • crew
  • Veteran
This is a great draft for RBs, Niners definitely have to pick up one in 2nd or 3rd. I'd be happy with either Jay Ajayi, Duke Johnson or David Johnson.
I like this guy as well. But my RB draft crush is still David Cobb

Height-Weight-Speed-2-Outstanding size. Built to last. Somewhat lean calves but otherwise very well proportioned. Jacked at Senior Bowl weigh-in. Thick bubble, good thickness in thighs, wide and strong upper body. Above-average top-end speed.

Competitiveness-2-Runs hard. Churns legs and almost always falls forward. Wants the ball in his hands. Versatile skill set with outstanding ball skills in passing game and proven ability on KORs. Ball security has been adequate. Only one fumble in four games studied (Nov 29, 2014 in win over Stephen F. Austin) from 2014, but can do a better job of covering ball up in traffic. Would like to see more aggressiveness in pass pro at times.

Passing Game-2-Highly productive pass catcher (more than 30 catches in each of four seasons at UNI) with the tools to contribute in NFL passing game. Very good ball skills for the position. Is natural plucking on run and over his head. Shows a natural feel and some savvy as a route runner. Can adjust to poorly thrown ball. Has size and strength in pass pro but would like to see more consistency and more aggressiveness in this area.

Vision/Patience-2-Shows good patience allowing blocks to set up. Senses backside crease. Is always looking to get vertical. Adequate vision between the tackles and better vision in open-field. Sets up his blocks and knows when to make sharp cut against grain.
He is one of my favorites for a mid round pick sleeper RB for us.
People keep comparing him to a bigger Charles Sims do to his receiving ability, but he he's also a very good runner (unlike Sims). I see him more as a Le'Veon Bell-lite.
You know I really like this kid. Probably a fourth rounder. Three down player.
This RB class will be like last years WR class. Some great talent at the position. Whether we bring back Frank we should pick up one of these guys. My favorite is still Ajayi but would be happy with a lot of these guys.
I like this kid can he play special teams?

Originally posted by Harbaalke:

First two 40's were both 4.50.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:

great value in the 4th but doubt he makes it that far

• crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
First two 40's were both 4.50.

Baalke can create a NIU trio by adding David Johnson and Xavier Williams to Jimmy Ward.
Share 49ersWebzone