LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

MadDog49er Pre-Combine Big 100 Board

Greetings, all!

Only days away from the start of the combine. Looking forward, as always, to see how individuals perform. Thank goodness this year, no Johnny Manziel talk. Hopefully, greater focus on players.

This Big Board, if you are new to the Draft War Room Forum, is a projection of where I believe players will be drafted. This is not a mock draft (as trades change everything), but a ballpark guess of the range I see the players falling. This is also not a player grade. I have Winston and Mariota going 1-2 right now, but I grade them much lower.

Really enjoying the breakdown of players after watching a ton of games recently. I will continue to drop my top graded players in different threads (including some unconventional rankings). For now, cheers..
2015 NFL Draft 256 Big Board
Pick Player School Position
1 Jameis Winston Florida St QB
2 Marcus Mariota Oregon QB
3 Leonard Williams USC DT
4 Kevin White West Virginia WR
5 Amari Cooper Alabama WR
6 Randy Gregory Nebraska DE/LB
7 Dante Fowler Florida DE/LB
8 Brandon Scherff Iowa OT
9 Shane Ray Missouri DE/LB
10 Danny Shelton Washington DT
11 Andrus Peat Stanford OT
12 La'El Collins LSU OT/G
13 Arik Armstead Oregon DE/DT
14 Ereck Flowers Miami OT
15 DeVante Parker Louisville WR
16 Trae Waynes Michigan St CB
17 Shaq Thompson Washington LB
18 Nate Orchard Utah DE/OLB
19 Vic Beasley Clemson LB
20 PJ Williams Florida St CB
21 Landon Collins Alabama S
22 Eddie Goldman Florida St DT
23 Carl Davis Iowa DT
24 Jalen Collins LSU CB
25 Melvin Gordon Wisconsin RB
26 Dorial Green-Beckham Missouri WR
27 TJ Clemmings Pittsburgh OT
28 Brett Hundley UCLA QB
29 Jaelen Strong Arizona St WR
30 Tevin Coleman Indiana RB
31 Alvin Dupree Kentucky DE/OLB
32 Malcom Brown Texas DT
33 Todd Gurley Georgia RB
34 Maxx Williams Minnesota TE
35 Paul Dawson TCU LB
36 Breshad Perriman Central Florida WR
37 Sammie Coates Auburn WR
38 Phillip Dorsett Miami WR
39 Cameron Erving Florida St C/G
40 Denzel Perryman Miami LB
41 Danielle Hunter LSU LB
42 Quinten Rollins Miami (OH) CB
43 Chris Hackett TCU S
44 AJ Cann South Carolina G
45 Devin Smith Ohio St WR
46 Marcus Peters Washington CB
47 Benardrick McKinney Mississippi St LB
48 Jordan Phillips Oklahoma DT
49 Owamagbe Odighizuwa UCLA DE/OLB
50 Michael Bennett Ohio St DT
51 Eric Kendricks UCLA LB
52 Devin Funchess Michigan WR/TE
53 Eli Harold Virginia DE/OLB
54 Clive Walford Miami TE
55 Kevin Johnson Wake Forest CB
56 Jay Ajayi Boise St RB
57 Laken Tomlinson Duke G
58 Cody Prewitt Mississippi S
59 Rob Haverstein Wisconsin OT
60 Ty Lockett Kansas St WR
61 Stephone Anthony Clemson LB
62 Preston Smith Mississippi St DE
63 Jake Fisher Oregon OT
64 Donovan Smith Penn St OT
65 Lorenzo Mauldin Louisville OLB
66 Tre' Jackson Florida St G
67 Duke Johnson Miami RB
68 Alex Carter Stanford CB
69 Jamison Crowder Duke WR
70 Ameer Abdullah Nebraska RB
71 Gerod Holliman Louisville S
72 Mario Edwards Florida St DE
73 Ifo Ekpre-Olomu Oregon CB
74 Steven Nelson Oregon St CB
75 Hroniss Grasu Oregon C
76 Grady Jarrett Clemson DT
77 Ty Sambrailo Colorado St OT
78 Kevin White TCU CB
79 Marcus Hardison Arizona St DT
80 Ellis McCarthy UCLA DT
81 Ladarius Gunter Miami CB
82 John Miller Louisville G
83 Nelson Agholor USC WR
84 Doran Grant Ohio St CB
85 D'Joun Smith Florida Atlantic CB
86 TJ Yeldon Alabama RB
87 Xavier Cooper Washington St DT
88 Jeremiah Poutasi Utah OT
89 Darryl Williams Oklahoma OT
90 Trey Flowers Arkansas DE/OLB
91 Anthony Harris Virginia S
92 Hau'oli Kikaha Washington DE/OLB
93 Henry Anderson Stanford DT
94 Arie Kouandjio Alabama G
95 Rashad Greene Florida St WR
96 Jordan Hicks Texas LB
97 Za'Darius Smith Kentucky DE
98 Jacoby Glenn Central Florida CB
99 Gabe Wright Auburn DT
100 Jaquiski Tartt Samford S
You are awesome. Thanks for the thread
You really like Coleman, as i do too. Who do you see him compared to in the NFL? Ive seen some McFadden comparisons and i agree. But i also see abit of Adrian Peterson. Is that nonsense?

Do you see him as a 3 down back?
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
You really like Coleman, as i do too. Who do you see him compared to in the NFL? Ive seen some McFadden comparisons and i agree. But i also see abit of Adrian Peterson. Is that nonsense?

Do you see him as a 3 down back?

Coleman is a three down back, and I think he will compete for one of the fastest times for non-WRs, non-CBs in the draft. I expect a sub-4.40 time. He will be one of the big stories of the combine.
He is one of the five breakaway backs in this draft (along with Gordon, Gurley, Johnson and Ajayi). Going to be great competition for these guys in the pecking order.
OSU simply could not stop him this year, and he was IU's lone threat. Really terrific player, but was buried because he played at Indiana. If he was at an Alabama or LSU, the media would be talking nonstop about him.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 13, 2015 at 5:55 AM ]
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
You are awesome. Thanks for the thread

Thanks. Much, much more to come.
Thanks MD - always look forward to your top 100 as it evolves through the pre Draft season.

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds this time. It almost seems to get weirder every year as Players move up and down and Teams sign FA's and line up their Trades. Interesting that #15 just happens to be a Team need, but I too think there is going to be a run on Receivers between 5 and our pick. Would love a good WR prospect, but guessing it will end up as another position (CB?)
Nice work, MadDog.

Quick question, your thoughts on Randy Gregory? Some scout threw out a Dion Jordan comparison this week, but you have him at #6 on your list. What's your evaluation?

And, if your board falls as ranked, the Niners could end up with a top three of Devante Parker, Marcus Peters, and John Miller. That would be awesome.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Feb 13, 2015 at 6:15 AM ]
If it fell this way, it almost seems like a trade back scenario would work for the Niners...some good value 10-12 spots back with some of our main targets already off the board. If we could trade back to 30 and still get a guy like Malcom Brown, maybe picking up a 2nd or early 3rd, would be great, no? Let's get those trenches back to badass Then want Lockett and Duke Johnson later, after a nice, tough lineman like Cann or Tomlinson. No?
Are you making your niner big board this year? I remember that being very accurate.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Thanks MD - always look forward to your top 100 as it evolves through the pre Draft season.

It will be interesting to see how it unfolds this time. It almost seems to get weirder every year as Players move up and down and Teams sign FA's and line up their Trades. Interesting that #15 just happens to be a Team need, but I too think there is going to be a run on Receivers between 5 and our pick. Would love a good WR prospect, but guessing it will end up as another position (CB?)

Still very early in the process. The good news is that if you are patient, and are not forcing a pick based on positional needs alone, you are going to find great value at 15. Last year, the Cowboys hung in there and grabbed Zach Martin, who for me was a top 8 graded player. He went on the Pro Bowl. Aaron Donald was the Defensive Rookie of the Year and he went at number 13.

I know a lot of people probably disagree with me, but the Niners have a LOT of need areas: WR, DL, CB, TE, OL and more. The team simply needs to be patient, and be true to their board.

Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Are you making your niner big board this year? I remember that being very accurate.

Strangely enough, I matched Baalke in the first three picks last year, while on the clock. I don't know who was more freaked out: me, or people on the board. Will never happen again in a million years.

Niners' board coming down the road.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Nice work, MadDog.

Quick question, your thoughts on Randy Gregory? Some scout threw out a Dion Jordan comparison this week, but you have him at #6 on your list. What's your evaluation?

And, if your board falls as ranked, the Niners could end up with a top three of Devante Parker, Marcus Peters, and John Miller. That would be awesome.

Funny that a scout made the link between Gregory and Jordan, because that is what I have been thinking for some time now...and that scares me about his potential. For instance, I have watched about five full games of him this year, every snap, and I just don't see enough consistency to grade him as a first round talent. Against Rutgers, he had two sacks. Usually, you look at the stat line and think: Great game. Deceptive. In that game, he picked up the two sacks due to a complete blown assignment, where neither the tackle, nor guard blocked him (he ran completely untouched in a straight line. The other sack: he was pancaked on the play for about two seconds, the QB scrambled around for a long time, and they kind of ran into each other. The rest of the game: really quiet.

You then watch Ray or Fowler, and they are consistently pressuring the QB (hits, hurries, etc.). Better run defenders, stouter bodies. Impact on the game.

A team that is picking Gregory is really going for the development end, because right now, he is not a great football player in any way. He is the best of the athletes on the edge, but that is not translating to the field for a guy considered a top ten prospect. Buyer Beware
surprised that Marcus Peters is ranked that low.
Originally posted by Murphys1:
If it fell this way, it almost seems like a trade back scenario would work for the Niners...some good value 10-12 spots back with some of our main targets already off the board. If we could trade back to 30 and still get a guy like Malcom Brown, maybe picking up a 2nd or early 3rd, would be great, no? Let's get those trenches back to badass Then want Lockett and Duke Johnson later, after a nice, tough lineman like Cann or Tomlinson. No?

I like the value of the second and third round picks, but count me out on Brown. I think he is a two-down, lumbering 34 NT, and that is all. I'd rather reach a bit to pick Davis or Goldman at 15 if the team desperately wants a first round DL.

The other guys on your list: Cann is my number one guard (I did a bit re-arranging this past week), followed by Louisville's John Miller and Duke's Tomlinson. To me, all three are going to be very good starters. Lockett is a stud, and teams will kick themselves for not selecting him. All he does is produced and cause headaches for coaches. Every game. His stat line the last five games this year is spectacular, against good competition. Johnson is one of the five RBs that has breakaway speed in this draft. Really good college player. My only concern: his health. The medicals on him are going to be GIGANTIC. He will run like the wind next week at the combine. I'm guessing a 4.44, which is blazing for a RB.
Originally posted by AsianJeff:
surprised that Marcus Peters is ranked that low.

Peters is so hard to project, as is DGB. How many teams will take them off their boards entirely? How many are willing to select them as a third rounder at highest due to their issues? How many are willing to pick them regardless? DGB is going to be spectacular at this combine, at least for the camera lens. However, those meetings with teams are just as important or more.

Really hard to place them.
Share 49ersWebzone