LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

My first Mock.

I tried to think like Baalke would. It didn't work. Then I saw an ESPN McKiper mock, with both having us take a WR first. That seals it. No WR at 15. so here goes.

1- Alvin Dupree OLB 6' 4" 264 4.65 SR Kentucky
Can never have enough pass rushers. In 47 games he totaled, 247 tackles, 37 for loss, 23.5 sacks, 5 pass break ups, and a pick.

2- Kevin Johnson CB 6' 1" 175 4.50 SR Wake Forrest
Finished his college career with 182 Tackles, 33 PBU's, 7 INT, in 46 games.

3- Josh Harper WR 6' 1" 185 4.50 Fresno St.
In 41 games, had 228 receptions for 2,938 yards, a 12.9 YD average, and 29 TD.

4- Mike Davis RB 5' 9" 223 4.45 JR South Carolina
Rushed for 2,440 YDS with a 5.4 AVG, and 22 TD. Added 70 receptions for 755 YDS and 2 scores in 37 games.

5- Miles Diffebach G 6' 3" 303 5.30 SR Penn State
Need depth on the OL.

6- Olsen Pierre DT 6' 5" 300 5.25 SR Miami (FLA)
More depth for the DL.

7- Rakeem Cato QB 6' 1" 176 4.70 SR Marshall
In 53 games, had 1,153 completions in 1,838 attempts for 14,079 YDS. 62.7% PR with 131 TD and 44 INT

7- Dean Marlowe S 6' 2" 205 4.55 SR James Madison (comp)
Averaged 81 tackles a year with 18 PBU, 12 INT for 131 YDS. Played in 49 games.
Nice mock
our biggest need is D-line and u give us no help great job !!!!
The hybrid DE-OLB is the easiest postion to miss on.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
our biggest need is D-line and u give us no help great job !!!!

Given that FA has yet to start and Cowboy is still in limbo it's difficult to accurately prioritize those needs.
I like that you went outside the box and threw out some different names. I think either way we need need to get some DL help. Not sure Bud fits the bill but like you said who knows what Baalke will do.

I'm not a fan of Harper though, he has actually been compared to Patton lol...we need speed.
As far as depth goes I tried to look at who was here, and who probably would be gone. Most people think that Brooks will be released with his salary, so I went with OLB early. I think Ahmad is really undervalued as to his contributions to the defense. And I looked at the depth of the D-Line and thought it was actually pretty stacked. We have Dorsey, Carradine, Dial, TJE, Kaleb Ramsey will be healthy this year, and Ian Williams will be back. Also on the futures list there's someone named Garrison Smith. I left Purcell off the list because I thought he was overmatched when he was playing, and don't believe he will be back.
With the fact that we play a 3 man line a good percentage of the time, how many tackles can we keep? But I'm just playing GM here, so it really does'nt count.
Originally posted by GoForGold:
As far as depth goes I tried to look at who was here, and who probably would be gone. Most people think that Brooks will be released with his salary, so I went with OLB early. I think Ahmad is really undervalued as to his contributions to the defense. And I looked at the depth of the D-Line and thought it was actually pretty stacked. We have Dorsey, Carradine, Dial, TJE, Kaleb Ramsey will be healthy this year, and Ian Williams will be back. Also on the futures list there's someone named Garrison Smith. I left Purcell off the list because I thought he was overmatched when he was playing, and don't believe he will be back.
With the fact that we play a 3 man line a good percentage of the time, how many tackles can we keep? But I'm just playing GM here, so it really does'nt count.

If we didn't have Lynch then yes OLB would be a bigger priority and I always thought Brooks was undervalued, but he isn't worth is upcoming salary. 15th pick for a player that won't be starting is a risky move. I'd rather just resign Skuta for depth (they have Lemonier as well).They are possibly losing 2 good starters on the DL and It's pretty hard to justify Ramsey and G Smith as good depth lol....It would change if the Cowboy stays as well.

I'm not saying I hate the pick, I mean it wouldn't be the worst baalke pick of all time....I would be if the only WR they take is Harper in the 3rd. I have more issue with that then the Bud pick. He is a clone of Patton, we don't need other possession WR....if your waiting until the 3rd for a WR I'd rather grab Dorsett.
Nice mock! Not what I would do but that's what makes this site fun...differing ideas! Dupree is very well thought of and it might be a good idea to have someone around next time Aldon Smith wants to do something incredibly dumb. Depending on Lynch and A Smith would keep a coach up at night!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I like that you went outside the box and threw out some different names. I think either way we need need to get some DL help. Not sure Bud fits the bill but like you said who knows what Baalke will do.

I'm not a fan of Harper though, he has actually been compared to Patton lol...we need speed.

Good call!
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on Feb 12, 2015 at 11:06 AM ]

Ray Mac's gone...Justin Smith could be, yet you don't address DL 'til the 6th rd. There's no way Baalke would let that happen...not when his DL has been a key strength in the 3-4 defense.

Dupree may be a good pass rusher, but in the 3-4, he'd play OLB, and with Aldon and Lynch I don't see Baalke using a 1st rd pick on him. In fact, that's where I can seem him taking one of the top DL. Guys like Eddie Goldman or Malcolm Brown have the size, strength, quickness and motor to really beef up what could be a pretty depleted DE corps, especially if JS does retire. We don't know if Carradine's going to be a consistently good starter yet...so it's critical Baalke adds to that DL early.

OT's actually a bigger need than OG. Iupati's likely a goner, but OL Coach Foerster still has Brandon Thomas, Marcus Martin, Looney and Kilgore to man the LG & C spots. Behind Staley & AD it's paper thin...Boone's the best option, but when he's used as the swing OT, Foerster would have to make two moves. A solid swing OT is a priority because J Martin's simply not the answer.

WR's a noted need...but Josh Harper's the only one in your mock. Don't think that'll get it done.
Share 49ersWebzone