LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 428 users in the forums

Biggest Bust..!!!!!

I really wanted Dalton over Kap in the 2nd.....I was convinced Kap would never develop as a pocket passer and had terrible touch on his passes.

Of course the red rocket just chucks interceptions in playoffs
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Pretty embarrassing considering that these 1st/2nd round busts can actually form a starting line up..

DE - Todd Kelley

DT - Reggie McGrew

DT - Kantwan Balmer

DE - Isreal Ifeanyi (2nd rounder)

LB - Keith DeLong

LB - Todd Shell

LB - Manny Lawson

LCB - Mike Rumph

RCB - RW McQuarter

SS - Taylow Mays (2nd Rounder)

FS - Dana Hall

Whatttttt ahhhh list!!!!!

In 2010 I thought Derek Morgan and Sergio Kindle would be total studs.
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
Brian Quick?

Bingo! Thought that guy would make a big impact for the rams.
Quick was the Rams leading receiver til he got hurt. Averaged 53.6 yards a game. By comparison, Boldin averaged 66.4 and Crabtree 43.6. Also had 3 TDs, which would have put him tied for 3rd on the 49ers. All in only 6 1/2 games and having backups and scrub QBs throwing to him.
i was just doing this yesterday...

My draft crush is also going for a guy within reason of our pick. (Like last year I never gave Odell Beckham consideration because he was out of reach IMO). Without going too far back..........

2002- Kind of far back but I liked Quentin Jammer. Too high though. I remember Ashley Lelie. We took Rumph.
2003 - I wanted the Niners to do whatever it took to get Troy Polamalu. We would have to trade up but knew he would be a stud. We drafted Kwame Harris
2004 - Do not remember. We drafted woods and I thought who?
2005 - Did not want Alex and was unsure about Rodgers as well. I honestly wanted a trade out. Thought it was a bad year to find a QB.
2006 - Every one said we were going for Vernon and I was ok with it. I wanted to trade for Reggie Bush so bad. Glad we got Vernon.
2007 - Loved Willis and we got Willis.
2008 - don't remember but hated the Balmer pick...
2009 - I wanted Crabtree and we got Crabtree. Still think he has talent but injuries and a sputtering offense have killed him.
2010 - I think my crush was CJ Spiller. I remember liking Earl Thomas and Eric Berry as well. Didn't think we would get any of those guys though. We went Oline with Davis and Iupati.
2011 - I liked Robert Quinn. I think he would have also been a good pick but Aldon when he stays out of trouble is good.
2012 - I loved Fleener. I wanted the 2 TE thing like New England had. He would have been better than Jenkins for sure. And he might be better than McDonald IMO. I was pissed about Jenkins that year. I hated Stephen Hill and never understood all the Alshon Jeffery Hate. People said he was fat but he looked good to me.
2013 - This stings a little. I loved Margus Hunt. I was ok with Hunt or Tank but wanted to take a risk on Hunt. Still think he needs the right staff and coaches just like Okoye. Hunt will probably not develop in Cincy. That year I really loved Eifert as well but didn't think Baalke would trade up. Since we didn't draft a TE the year earlier I was excited when I saw the trade... thought we were getting Eifert but we drafted Eric Reid. I like Reid but not sold on if he can be elite... Hopefully Tank does.
2014 - Is still very early but I loved Brandin Cooks. Still wish we had traded. Ward might be good but I think Cooks will be great. I also liked Verrett, Tuitt, Jeremiah Attochu and Troy Niklas. I also told my raiders buddy that he would be glad they got Mack and not Clowney. I hate Clowney and think Mack was a better fit for Houston. I hated Benjamin he he has actually been impressive so far.

I still want a speed wr and a solid #2 TE. That's probably going to be my crush again this year until we finally land a deep threat or another offensive weapon. I know trading up can be costly but sometimes I think you have to go for it. Some years I am not sold on anyone but other years I think you can look at a guy and know they will be a stud. Polamulu, Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, and for me (Quinn and Cooks are young guys) that I think I would have no problem making a big trade to get a sure thing.
  • bors
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Rashaun Woods was a HUGE disappointment ...I thought he was going to give us the possession receiver we badly needed....

Reggie Mcgrew was supposed to be our Warren Sapp

Dana Hall was going to be the successor to Ronnie Lott ..another disappointment

and anyone remember reading Bill Walsh saying he advised the front office that "Jake Plummer" was the best QB suited for our system and recommended we draft him ..but then the front office goes and drafts "Jim Druckenmiller"

Man when we bust we bust hard...mcgrew.....balmer
  • bors
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
In 2010 I thought Derek Morgan and Sergio Kindle would be total studs.

Morgan a free agent ain't he.now your chance
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Rashaun Woods was a HUGE disappointment ...I thought he was going to give us the possession receiver we badly needed....

Reggie Mcgrew was supposed to be our Warren Sapp

Dana Hall was going to be the successor to Ronnie Lott ..another disappointment

and anyone remember reading Bill Walsh saying he advised the front office that "Jake Plummer" was the best QB suited for our system and recommended we draft him ..but then the front office goes and drafts "Jim Druckenmiller"
Yep
Originally posted by 9moon:
Pretty embarrassing considering that these 1st/2nd round busts can actually form a starting line up..

DE - Todd Kelley

DT - Reggie McGrew

DT - Kantwan Balmer

LB - Keith DeLong

LB - Todd Shell

LB - Manny Lawson

LCB - Mike Rumph

RCB - RW McQuarter

FS - Dana Hall

uhh there are a couple on your list that are not Bust R.W. McQuarters, Manny Lawson were not Busts...
Trent Richardson

Originally posted by jrouter4949:
uhh there are a couple on your list that are not Bust R.W. McQuarters, Manny Lawson were not Busts...

McQuarters was a bust but I agree about Lawson. He had a few good years for us. The only thing McQuarters had was a little return ability and dreads down to his crack!!!
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Agree on Austin, thought that guy would be a bigger star. Also the small school WR the rams took after we selected AJ Jenkins, can't remember his name off the top of my head… guess that says something.

Wasn't that Quick?
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:

DE - Todd Kelley

DT - Reggie McGrew

DT - Kantwan Balmer

LB - Keith DeLong

LB - Todd Shell

LB - Manny Lawson

LCB - Mike Rumph

RCB - RW McQuarter

FS - Dana Hall

In bold... of that list, those three are in many ways, were my biggest disappointments.

As for the rest, I had reservations of varying degree when they were drafted; but, I had reservations when Aldon Smith AND JJ WATT were drafted, and boy was I wrong on that one.
[ Edited by Geeked on Feb 12, 2015 at 6:38 AM ]
I'll be the first to say but it probably just goes unsaid..... Chilo Rachal. 2nd round. The experts said the Youngest lineman in the draft but with the most potential. Carmazzi & Tim Sh*t-Tay draft was a close second.
[ Edited by 49erEgg on Feb 12, 2015 at 6:46 AM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erEgg:
Originally posted by jrouter4949:

McQuarters was a bust but I agree about Lawson. He had a few good years for us. The only thing McQuarters had was a little return ability and dreads down to his crack!!!

Ehhh, if you're starting consistently for a while for multiple teams... you're not a bust. McQuarters and Lawson did that.

I know people think first rounders should be in canton at the point of retirement to be successful, but that's not reality. If you're a legitimate (don't have to be a pro-bowler) starter, you're not a bust, regardless of the round you're drafted.
[ Edited by Geeked on Feb 12, 2015 at 6:42 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone