There are 168 users in the forums

Clive Walford

I'm surprised he doesn't have his own thread.

Not saying that TE is a huge need, nor do I believe that McDonald is a bust, but I wouldn't mind spending a 2nd/3rd round pick if Walford is there.
He's probably the best route running TE in the draft, and has some great hands. I included him in my mock before the senior bowl and boy did he show up

Mayock believes that he is the most explosive TE in the draft
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000461587/article/mayock-clive-walford-most-explosive-tight-end-in-2015-draft

http://withthefirstpick.com/2015/02/09/nfl-draft-scouting-report-clive-walford/4/
At 6'4″, 258 pounds, Walford could fit in with any smash-mouth football team is he is very physical. He is an excellent blocker and after the catch, it takes about six people to bring him down at times. And if you have to bring him down yourself, you have to watch out for his neck-breaking stiff arm.

Here is another great break down on him

[ Edited by Quest4six on Feb 10, 2015 at 12:15 PM ]
been on the bandwagon
He's my number two TE right now, and looking like a second round pick.
Agreed!
Looks and plays like a niner
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He's my number two TE right now, and looking like a second round pick.

I like him with the 2nd round pick, go DL in the 1st with a trade down of 5-7 spots and get an extra 3rd round pick. Take either Malcom Brown, Armstead or Carl Davis in the 1st, Walford with the 2nd and with the 3rd round pick, go either OL, CB or OLB (thinking Lynden Trail OLB Norfolk State). Then Take WR Breshard Perriman with the acquired 3rd round pick.
So apparently this guy talked with the 49ers staff
I'm really really hoping we get him in the second whether it's a trade up or he just falls into place.
Ill take VD any day of the week. He may be worth a second round pick but we better have a wr and de situation handled first. Carrier has speed and good hands as well so not sure we need this guy unless VD is gone
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
Ill take VD any day of the week. He may be worth a second round pick but we better have a wr and de situation handled first. Carrier has speed and good hands as well so not sure we need this guy unless VD is gone

This is probably VD's final year with us. We need to find his replacement sooner than later.

Originally posted by elguapo:

Yeah I would have to agree...we have him for at least another year and while Vance as been sub par so far I think there's potential.

This draft is weak at TE and I think teams will be fighting for Maxx and Clive and they will both be over drafted. I'd rather grab a TE in FA or wait until next year when the class is a lot better
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crew:
I like him with the 2nd round pick, go DL in the 1st with a trade down of 5-7 spots and get an extra 3rd round pick. Take either Malcom Brown, Armstead or Carl Davis in the 1st, Walford with the 2nd and with the 3rd round pick, go either OL, CB or OLB (thinking Lynden Trail OLB Norfolk State). Then Take WR Breshard Perriman with the acquired 3rd round pick.

I like this
He has a little Antonio Gates in his game. Very smooth.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
we have Clive, we've had Clive.. and that's Vernon Davis...

How many VD do you guys want on the team??

He aint even a good run blocking TE.. . I say NO to TE until around the 4th Round...

Derek Carrier should be the one the 49ers should be excited about... It's been proven and proven years after years that TE can be found anywhere and be a plug in player that can help a team.. NEVER a priority!!!
Originally posted by 9moon:
we have Clive, we've had Clive.. and that's Vernon Davis...

How many VD do you guys want on the team??

He aint even a good run blocking TE.. . I say NO to TE until around the 4th Round...

Derek Carrier should be the one the 49ers should be excited about... It's been proven and proven years after years that TE can be found anywhere and be a plug in player that can help a team.. NEVER a priority!!!

Vernon Davis is 31 years old and coming off his least productive season ever.
He is actually a pretty good run blocker, has immense power and from what I just watched at the combine demonstrated great form while pushing guys off the line. Sunk his hips, popped his hands powerfully to the blockers center of gravity, and drove with his legs and hips. All a perfect recipe for run blocking

Carrier on the other hand is not a good blocker, and I don't see him as a starter, I like him more as a second option in a duel TE package, and that's. How I think he'll continued to be used.

The pats would disagree with you on finding quality TEs, ever since Hernandez left they have been struggling to fill that void.
Share 49ersWebzone