LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Pwillis52beasty's 2015 Mock #1 (first four rounds)

So the lets run run run gives kap time in the passing game he was awesome in 12 let not forget
Originally posted by Four9er__US:
So the lets run run run gives kap time in the passing game he was awesome in 12 let not forget

pretty sure they already run run run the ball lol. 2012 they had Moss, Walker, and VD stretching the field. Teams had to double team someone and it allowed the running game to take off. They need to be more balance or its gonna be 8 guys in the box stuffing the run all year.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Hyde and Gordon do not offer the exact same thing. They'd actually compliment each other pretty good. Gordon is more explosive and elusive while Hyde is a bigger back and more of a bruiser. And why do you think that it takes a lot of carries to get Gordon going? The man averaged 7 and a half yards per carry and scored 29 touchdowns. He's not purely a power back that grinds defenses down. He does have some power and some ability to do that, but he's a big play threat that can go the distance on any given play. And great running backs still have solid backs behind them. Arian Foster had Ben Tate, Lesean McCoy has Darren Sproles, Charles has Kniles Davis, even Adrian Peterson had Toby Gerhart to spell him for a few years. Those are all solid backups. Hyde can be a good back in this league, but I'm not sure he can be elite. I think Gordon can be elite.

Let's put it this way, I think Gordon is a lot closer to an Adrian Peterson type of impact than any defensive linemen in this draft is to a JJ Watt type of impact.

And we don't know that Justin Smith is retiring. All we've lost so far is Ray Mcdonald. We have Glenn Dorsey and Ian Williams coming back so were not as short on dlinemen as you think. Tank Carradine will be the replacement for Mcdonald. If Justin Smith does retire, Glenn Dorsey can fill in there. Then you have Ian Williams and Quintion Dial at nose tackle and then you can add another couple dlinemen in the third like I did in this mock and in the fourth. Again, what are we better at developing? Dlinemen or offensive weapons? You must take that into account.

I mean they're almost the same size (Hyde is 10 lbs heavier),so you want Gordon to be a comp back to Hyde ( if so then he isn't worth a top 20 pick)? They are both 3 down backs and it would hurt both of them to have them splitting carries in my opinion. Oh and Hyde avg over 7 yards per carry his senior yr as well. Why can't Hyde be elite? He only had 80 carries last season far from being able to label him average.

IF we really needed a running back then I wouldn't have a problem getting him in a trade down, but you have them keeping Gore as well?? I haven't read anything that compares Gordon to AP either.

Why go RB when you can find great value in later rounds? Foster wasn't even drafted (stud) and Tate was a 2nd rd pick (bust). Basically your making Hyde or Gordon a backup and throwing away a 1st or 2nd round pick...doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not saying SF needs to go DL in the 1st, but it is a higher priority than RB (and this draft is deep at rb)....I totally agree they are better at finding value for defensive players than offense in the draft. I hope they target a WR in the 1st. I think most people would agree going RB in the 1st won't be the best move.

You can find great value at running back in later rounds, that is true, but you're rolling the dice if you think you're going to land an elite running back later on. And I'm not saying Gordon is the same type of runner as Adrian Peterson. I'm saying he can make that kind of impact. Whoever drafts Gordon, pretty much knows they're going to get a great runner. He's one of the closest to sure things in this draft.

Hyde has shown flashes, but I'm not sold on him becoming one of the best backs in the league. He might, but he also might just end up being serviceable. He averaged only 4 yards a carry, which was .3 yards per carry less than the 31 year old Frank Gore who had more than 3 times as many carries. I'm still not saying that he can't be great, but I just have more confidence that Gordon will be. Gordon has great vision and is able to squeeze through tight spaces to go along with his big play ability. He'd instantly make this team much more explosive on offense. I'd love seeing both him and Hyde running through people for years. Agree to disagree though. I wouldn't be mad at a dline selection in the first.

I think your analysis is off. I think out of the top 4-5 RB's in this draft, Gordon is the most likely to bust. Gurley looks like the best back but he has health concerns and I'd place Tevin Coleman over Gordon. Statistically, if you take away Gordon's bowl game (since Coleman didn't have one) they're virtually identical and Coleman played on a far worse team. And to the eye test Coleman looks looks like the better back.

Duke Johnson is probably the best compliment to Hyde though. We can get him in the 2nd or 3rd, he can pass protect, lineup in the slot etc. etc.
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Hyde and Gordon do not offer the exact same thing. They'd actually compliment each other pretty good. Gordon is more explosive and elusive while Hyde is a bigger back and more of a bruiser. And why do you think that it takes a lot of carries to get Gordon going? The man averaged 7 and a half yards per carry and scored 29 touchdowns. He's not purely a power back that grinds defenses down. He does have some power and some ability to do that, but he's a big play threat that can go the distance on any given play. And great running backs still have solid backs behind them. Arian Foster had Ben Tate, Lesean McCoy has Darren Sproles, Charles has Kniles Davis, even Adrian Peterson had Toby Gerhart to spell him for a few years. Those are all solid backups. Hyde can be a good back in this league, but I'm not sure he can be elite. I think Gordon can be elite.

Let's put it this way, I think Gordon is a lot closer to an Adrian Peterson type of impact than any defensive linemen in this draft is to a JJ Watt type of impact.

And we don't know that Justin Smith is retiring. All we've lost so far is Ray Mcdonald. We have Glenn Dorsey and Ian Williams coming back so were not as short on dlinemen as you think. Tank Carradine will be the replacement for Mcdonald. If Justin Smith does retire, Glenn Dorsey can fill in there. Then you have Ian Williams and Quintion Dial at nose tackle and then you can add another couple dlinemen in the third like I did in this mock and in the fourth. Again, what are we better at developing? Dlinemen or offensive weapons? You must take that into account.

I mean they're almost the same size (Hyde is 10 lbs heavier),so you want Gordon to be a comp back to Hyde ( if so then he isn't worth a top 20 pick)? They are both 3 down backs and it would hurt both of them to have them splitting carries in my opinion. Oh and Hyde avg over 7 yards per carry his senior yr as well. Why can't Hyde be elite? He only had 80 carries last season far from being able to label him average.

IF we really needed a running back then I wouldn't have a problem getting him in a trade down, but you have them keeping Gore as well?? I haven't read anything that compares Gordon to AP either.

Why go RB when you can find great value in later rounds? Foster wasn't even drafted (stud) and Tate was a 2nd rd pick (bust). Basically your making Hyde or Gordon a backup and throwing away a 1st or 2nd round pick...doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not saying SF needs to go DL in the 1st, but it is a higher priority than RB (and this draft is deep at rb)....I totally agree they are better at finding value for defensive players than offense in the draft. I hope they target a WR in the 1st. I think most people would agree going RB in the 1st won't be the best move.

You can find great value at running back in later rounds, that is true, but you're rolling the dice if you think you're going to land an elite running back later on. And I'm not saying Gordon is the same type of runner as Adrian Peterson. I'm saying he can make that kind of impact. Whoever drafts Gordon, pretty much knows they're going to get a great runner. He's one of the closest to sure things in this draft.

Hyde has shown flashes, but I'm not sold on him becoming one of the best backs in the league. He might, but he also might just end up being serviceable. He averaged only 4 yards a carry, which was .3 yards per carry less than the 31 year old Frank Gore who had more than 3 times as many carries. I'm still not saying that he can't be great, but I just have more confidence that Gordon will be. Gordon has great vision and is able to squeeze through tight spaces to go along with his big play ability. He'd instantly make this team much more explosive on offense. I'd love seeing both him and Hyde running through people for years. Agree to disagree though. I wouldn't be mad at a dline selection in the first.

I think your analysis is off. I think out of the top 4-5 RB's in this draft, Gordon is the most likely to bust. Gurley looks like the best back but he has health concerns and I'd place Tevin Coleman over Gordon. Statistically, if you take away Gordon's bowl game (since Coleman didn't have one) they're virtually identical and Coleman played on a far worse team. And to the eye test Coleman looks looks like the better back.

Duke Johnson is probably the best compliment to Hyde though. We can get him in the 2nd or 3rd, he can pass protect, lineup in the slot etc. etc.

OK, and I think your analysis is off. A guy that is recognized by most as the top back in this draft, had the type of production he had, has great vision and ability to 'get small' and squeeze through tight spaces, and has the size and athleticism and you think he's the most likely to be a bust? Interesting.

My eye test tells me that Gordon is going to be a hell of a back.
OK, and I think your analysis is off. A guy that is recognized by most as the top back in this draft, had the type of production he had, has great vision and ability to 'get small' and squeeze through tight spaces, and has the size and athleticism and you think he's the most likely to be a bust? Interesting.

My eye test tells me that Gordon is going to be a hell of a back.

Carlos Hyde was recognized as the top back in the draft last year too. This is one of the deepest drafts at RB we have seen in a while, no need to spend a 1st, when we already have our bell-cow, give me a COP back in the 3rd or 4th.

I still don't get why you go Gordon and resign Gore? How would the carries breakdown?
About 75% of the current mock drafts in the media have the Niners selecting a wide receiver in the first.
Love it pwilly...we need home run hitters on offense and you made it happen.
Don't worry, the niners won't draft Gordon or a rb with the first pick and probably not a rb with the 2nd pick bc of Hyde. So it won't make a difference in the end. If we do draft a rb in the first that's ok but I'm pretty sure unless we get a playmaker wr in free agency we will be targeting a wr in the first round. And also a replacement for macdonald is very possible since tank will take over for now but this yr or next yr if Justin smith is gone we will be targeting DL as well.
Share 49ersWebzone