LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 136 users in the forums

Pwillis52beasty's 2015 Mock #1 (first four rounds)

• 9moon
  • Veteran
again... because of our coaching staff last year, we just do not have any idea just what type of a RB Hyde is..

He could be another Frank Gore, or he could also be another Kevan Barlow... God forgive is he's our next Terrence Flagler!!!!
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I just don't see the point in grabbing Gordon in the 1st, we have Hyde and it's not like he was a bad rb when given a chance this past season. Why would the eagles trade with us? Who would they be targeting at 15? I like all your other picks

I think a trade down would be the best scenario for SF

Not to mention Kendall Hunter will be coming back who is also a decent runner.

Yup hopefully he will be ready to role next season, I think they will draft a RB because they do every year just not a 15 lol.

Yeah because drafting a running back in the first is such a crazy idea You must not realize how special of a talent Gordon is. I'd take a Marshawn Lynch, Adrian Peterson, Jamal Charles, Lesean McCoy, etc. all day every day with the 15th pick in a draft, especially on a team that's already as talented as us. See the type of impact Marshawn has had for the Seahawks? Exactly..

We don't need to reach for a defensive linemen in the first... Our specialty is at drafting defensive guys and developing them. This team needs threats on offense that have the potential to be dominant. That's what you would be getting here.

Yeah it's crazy because they just drafted arguably the best RB last year's draft. You have them resigning Gore, drafting Gordon is the 1st, Hyde is in his 2nd year, Hunter resigned with us, and Millard is coming back from a ACL. They all can't run the ball lol.

What you fail to understand is none of those RBs you mentioned have any other back behind them. Who's gonna be the featured back? Gore? Gordon? Hyde? We already have a good RB ready to roll in Hyde. It would literally be a waste of a pick. I agree we need offensive threats that's why we need a WR either in the 1st or 2nd....not a RB.

Millard's a fullback that was undrafted. Hunter is coming off back to back injuries. Gore would be in his final year. Gordon and Hyde would be a crazy duo for years to come. You act like teams never used three runningbacks and that injuries never happen at the running back position. Again, you don't realize how big of a talent Gordon is and what this team truly needs. We had third stringers on D last year and still had a top 5 defense. We find gems on defense all the time in later rounds. How often do we find gems on offense? What do we lack on offense? Elite playmakers. I rest my case..

Millard can be used in multiple ways including running the ball don't get me wrong Gordon is real good, but you don't draft a RB at 15 to touch the ball 10x a game. I mean do you plan on running the ball 40+ times a game? What teams have 3 workhorse RBs? Perfect example is Stewart and Williams in Carolina, they spit carries and the running game blows. Once Williams got hurt and Stewart got all the touches their running game improved a lot, RBs need touches and splitting them 3 ways makes zero sense.

Players like Gordon, Gore, and Hyde are better when they get their 20 + touches a game not 10.

I'm all for going offense early but not running back. There is plenty of depth at that position in this draft. Hyde is the future workhorse and was a early 2nd rd pick last year for a reason. I like the DGB, Anderson, and Gunter picks though.

+1million
Taking Gordon at 15 is either a waste of Gordon or Hyde. It's better to take a complimentary back in the 3rd like Duke Johnson (who can also be split out like Vereen) or trade back to pick up Gurley or Coleman in the second. We need a DL at 15.

I'm a big fan of the other picks though. Even if DGB doesn't live up to his hype he's still going to be a nightmare cover for a 3rd/4th corner. If he does pan out then we might be playing in the superbowl at home.
It's funny because no one expected us to ever draft Hyde either. We had Gore, James, and we thought Lattimore was going to be good to go. Gordon is better than Hyde and they would compliment each other very nicely for years. With the emphasis back on the running game for this team, don't be surprised to see a running back taken. Gordon is the best back in this draft and has the potential to be the best in the whole league. If you think it's dumb to take a guy like that, you have no idea how talented he is and how much a premiere running back helps a QB and a team as a whole.

20th pick in the 1st is wayyy different than 57th in the 2nd. The FO probably had a idea that LMJ wasn't gonna be in the picture and Latt wasn't doing as well as expected.

you act like Hyde is awful or something lol. He came off of a 1,500 campaign his senior year ( 208 touches) Gordon had a beast season 2,500 yard (343 touches) but has also had 550 touches in his past 2 seasons which is a ton of wear and tear for a RB coming out of college.

I act like Hyde is awful or something? Ummm absolutely not. Just because I'm taking Gordon doesn't mean I think Hyde is awful. Gordon would give this offense a two headed monster in the backfield for many years. Gordon is a special back and we'd be fortunate to land him with our first round pick. Again Hyde is the only sure thing we have at running back for the future. Gore is very close to retirement and Hunter may not be the same back. Were talking about adding two playmakers on offense with top 10 talent. That is exactly what Kap needs and what this offense needs. Gordon is a special talent that you're not going to find in every draft.

I and everyone else should have much more confidence in us finding the right defensive guys later in the draft rather than the right offensive guys later in the draft. This is a team that has shown to be much more adept at drafting and developing defensive players than it has offensive players. You hit the homerun early in the draft on offense and then get your defensive players a little later or via free agency. Remember Justin Smith was a free agent pickup, Ray Mcdonald was a third round pick, Issac Soapoga was a 4th round pick, Aubrayo Franklin was a free agent pickup, Glenn Dorsey was a free agent pickup, Ian Williams was undrafted. We've shown to find guys later in the draft or in free agency that have been solid to great players for us on the dline.

Now I'm not opposed to drafting a defensive linemen with our first pick, but we have the talent on our roster to draft the BPA and get an elite running back which would benefit this team tremendously. Our biggest weakness has been offense. We need olinemen and playmakers. That's what's going to take this team to the top.
It's funny because no one expected us to ever draft Hyde either. We had Gore, James, and we thought Lattimore was going to be good to go. Gordon is better than Hyde and they would compliment each other very nicely for years. With the emphasis back on the running game for this team, don't be surprised to see a running back taken. Gordon is the best back in this draft and has the potential to be the best in the whole league. If you think it's dumb to take a guy like that, you have no idea how talented he is and how much a premiere running back helps a QB and a team as a whole.

20th pick in the 1st is wayyy different than 57th in the 2nd. The FO probably had a idea that LMJ wasn't gonna be in the picture and Latt wasn't doing as well as expected.

you act like Hyde is awful or something lol. He came off of a 1,500 campaign his senior year ( 208 touches) Gordon had a beast season 2,500 yard (343 touches) but has also had 550 touches in his past 2 seasons which is a ton of wear and tear for a RB coming out of college.

I act like Hyde is awful or something? Ummm absolutely not. Just because I'm taking Gordon doesn't mean I think Hyde is awful. Gordon would give this offense a two headed monster in the backfield for many years. Gordon is a special back and we'd be fortunate to land him with our first round pick. Again Hyde is the only sure thing we have at running back for the future. Gore is very close to retirement and Hunter may not be the same back. Were talking about adding two playmakers on offense with top 10 talent. That is exactly what Kap needs and what this offense needs. Gordon is a special talent that you're not going to find in every draft.

I and everyone else should have much more confidence in us finding the right defensive guys later in the draft rather than the right offensive guys later in the draft. This is a team that has shown to be much more adept at drafting and developing defensive players than it has offensive players. You hit the homerun early in the draft on offense and then get your defensive players a little later or via free agency. Remember Justin Smith was a free agent pickup, Ray Mcdonald was a third round pick, Issac Soapoga was a 4th round pick, Aubrayo Franklin was a free agent pickup, Glenn Dorsey was a free agent pickup, Ian Williams was undrafted. We've shown to find guys later in the draft or in free agency that have been solid to great players for us on the dline.

Now I'm not opposed to drafting a defensive linemen with our first pick, but we have the talent on our roster to draft the BPA and get an elite running back which would benefit this team tremendously. Our biggest weakness has been offense. We need olinemen and playmakers. That's what's going to take this team to the top.

I'm not disagreeing with you about going offense early, I hope they get some play makers but RB at 20 is silly with Hyde there. You don't need 2 RBs that offer the same thing in Hyde and Gordon. Like I said RBs like them need touches to get moving, you don't split it 50/50 it helps no one. My example of Carolina's RB situation is proof of it. Also if you think Gordon is as good as AP, Charles, McCoy etc why would you have him and Hyde split carries? Imagine AP splitting carries

I don't even think Gordon is the best RB in the draft....

They have a good starter with Gore (who you think will be resigned) and Hyde, but are losing possibly two very good DL starters, that needs to be address because our defense is based around the front 7. They don't have the cap space to get any meaningful FAs at this point.

RB is down the list of needs, but it's your mock WR and DL are higher priories in my opinion.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 9, 2015 at 4:32 PM ]
just can't get behind this in anyway we need help on D-line way before we need a RB or a WR that's a head case. .. I also don't see tha trade as realistic we traded up more then 10 spot with tha cowboys given up a 3rd pick don't see trading back 5 spots N a team given up a 3rd ... we maybe good at gettin late round D-line picks playing fairly good so just think what we can do with a 1st or 2nd round guy ...

I'm not disagreeing with you about going offense early, I hope they get some play makers but RB at 20 is silly with Hyde there. You don't need 2 RBs that offer the same thing in Hyde and Gordon. Like I said RBs like them need touches to get moving, you don't split it 50/50 it helps no one. My example of Carolina's RB situation is proof of it. Also if you think Gordon is as good as AP, Charles, McCoy etc why would you have him and Hyde split carries? Imagine AP splitting carries

I don't even think Gordon is the best RB in the draft....

They have a good starter with Gore (who you think will be resigned) and Hyde, but are losing possibly two very good DL starters, that needs to be address because our defense is based around the front 7. They don't have the cap space to get any meaningful FAs at this point.

RB is down the list of needs, but it's your mock WR and DL are higher priories in my opinion.

Hyde and Gordon do not offer the exact same thing. They'd actually compliment each other pretty good. Gordon is more explosive and elusive while Hyde is a bigger back and more of a bruiser. And why do you think that it takes a lot of carries to get Gordon going? The man averaged 7 and a half yards per carry and scored 29 touchdowns. He's not purely a power back that grinds defenses down. He does have some power and some ability to do that, but he's a big play threat that can go the distance on any given play. And great running backs still have solid backs behind them. Arian Foster had Ben Tate, Lesean McCoy has Darren Sproles, Charles has Kniles Davis, even Adrian Peterson had Toby Gerhart to spell him for a few years. Those are all solid backups. Hyde can be a good back in this league, but I'm not sure he can be elite. I think Gordon can be elite.

Let's put it this way, I think Gordon is a lot closer to an Adrian Peterson type of impact than any defensive linemen in this draft is to a JJ Watt type of impact.

And we don't know that Justin Smith is retiring. All we've lost so far is Ray Mcdonald. We have Glenn Dorsey and Ian Williams coming back so were not as short on dlinemen as you think. Tank Carradine will be the replacement for Mcdonald. If Justin Smith does retire, Glenn Dorsey can fill in there. Then you have Ian Williams and Quintion Dial at nose tackle and then you can add another couple dlinemen in the third like I did in this mock and in the fourth. Again, what are we better at developing? Dlinemen or offensive weapons? You must take that into account.
Nice mock. Would rather just roll with Hyde & Gordon if we draft him. Would give the team more speed & home run power
Hyde and Gordon do not offer the exact same thing. They'd actually compliment each other pretty good. Gordon is more explosive and elusive while Hyde is a bigger back and more of a bruiser. And why do you think that it takes a lot of carries to get Gordon going? The man averaged 7 and a half yards per carry and scored 29 touchdowns. He's not purely a power back that grinds defenses down. He does have some power and some ability to do that, but he's a big play threat that can go the distance on any given play. And great running backs still have solid backs behind them. Arian Foster had Ben Tate, Lesean McCoy has Darren Sproles, Charles has Kniles Davis, even Adrian Peterson had Toby Gerhart to spell him for a few years. Those are all solid backups. Hyde can be a good back in this league, but I'm not sure he can be elite. I think Gordon can be elite.

Let's put it this way, I think Gordon is a lot closer to an Adrian Peterson type of impact than any defensive linemen in this draft is to a JJ Watt type of impact.

And we don't know that Justin Smith is retiring. All we've lost so far is Ray Mcdonald. We have Glenn Dorsey and Ian Williams coming back so were not as short on dlinemen as you think. Tank Carradine will be the replacement for Mcdonald. If Justin Smith does retire, Glenn Dorsey can fill in there. Then you have Ian Williams and Quintion Dial at nose tackle and then you can add another couple dlinemen in the third like I did in this mock and in the fourth. Again, what are we better at developing? Dlinemen or offensive weapons? You must take that into account.

I mean they're almost the same size (Hyde is 10 lbs heavier),so you want Gordon to be a comp back to Hyde ( if so then he isn't worth a top 20 pick)? They are both 3 down backs and it would hurt both of them to have them splitting carries in my opinion. Oh and Hyde avg over 7 yards per carry his senior yr as well. Why can't Hyde be elite? He only had 80 carries last season far from being able to label him average.

IF we really needed a running back then I wouldn't have a problem getting him in a trade down, but you have them keeping Gore as well?? I haven't read anything that compares Gordon to AP either.

Why go RB when you can find great value in later rounds? Foster wasn't even drafted (stud) and Tate was a 2nd rd pick (bust). Basically your making Hyde or Gordon a backup and throwing away a 1st or 2nd round pick...doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not saying SF needs to go DL in the 1st, but it is a higher priority than RB (and this draft is deep at rb)....I totally agree they are better at finding value for defensive players than offense in the draft. I hope they target a WR in the 1st. I think most people would agree going RB in the 1st won't be the best move.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 9, 2015 at 7:37 PM ]
Baalke will go with the beef, O-line or D-line, who's ever best available. I like the Gordon pick, if Frank goes elsewhere. Hunter has heart but a brittle body.

I mean they're almost the same size (Hyde is 10 lbs heavier),so you want Gordon to be a comp back to Hyde ( if so then he isn't worth a top 20 pick)? They are both 3 down backs and it would hurt both of them to have them splitting carries in my opinion. Oh and Hyde avg over 7 yards per carry his senior yr as well. Why can't Hyde be elite? He only had 80 carries last season far from being able to label him average.

IF we really needed a running back then I wouldn't have a problem getting him in a trade down, but you have them keeping Gore as well?? I haven't read anything that compares Gordon to AP either.

Why go RB when you can find great value in later rounds? Foster wasn't even drafted (stud) and Tate was a 2nd rd pick (bust). Basically your making Hyde or Gordon a backup and throwing away a 1st or 2nd round pick...doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not saying SF needs to go DL in the 1st, but it is a higher priority than RB (and this draft is deep at rb)....I totally agree they are better at finding value for defensive players than offense in the draft. I hope they target a WR in the 1st. I think most people would agree going RB in the 1st won't be the best move.

You can find great value at running back in later rounds, that is true, but you're rolling the dice if you think you're going to land an elite running back later on. And I'm not saying Gordon is the same type of runner as Adrian Peterson. I'm saying he can make that kind of impact. Whoever drafts Gordon, pretty much knows they're going to get a great runner. He's one of the closest to sure things in this draft.

Hyde has shown flashes, but I'm not sold on him becoming one of the best backs in the league. He might, but he also might just end up being serviceable. He averaged only 4 yards a carry, which was .3 yards per carry less than the 31 year old Frank Gore who had more than 3 times as many carries. I'm still not saying that he can't be great, but I just have more confidence that Gordon will be. Gordon has great vision and is able to squeeze through tight spaces to go along with his big play ability. He'd instantly make this team much more explosive on offense. I'd love seeing both him and Hyde running through people for years. Agree to disagree though. I wouldn't be mad at a dline selection in the first.

I like your draft and would be happy with it. I can also get behind early beef for the trenches, then skill guys like Lockett (maybe even wait for Crowder) or Duke Johnson a little later. I think we get bang for our buck either way.
You can find great value at running back in later rounds, that is true, but you're rolling the dice if you think you're going to land an elite running back later on. And I'm not saying Gordon is the same type of runner as Adrian Peterson. I'm saying he can make that kind of impact. Whoever drafts Gordon, pretty much knows they're going to get a great runner. He's one of the closest to sure things in this draft.

Hyde has shown flashes, but I'm not sold on him becoming one of the best backs in the league. He might, but he also might just end up being serviceable. He averaged only 4 yards a carry, which was .3 yards per carry less than the 31 year old Frank Gore who had more than 3 times as many carries. I'm still not saying that he can't be great, but I just have more confidence that Gordon will be. Gordon has great vision and is able to squeeze through tight spaces to go along with his big play ability. He'd instantly make this team much more explosive on offense. I'd love seeing both him and Hyde running through people for years. Agree to disagree though. I wouldn't be mad at a dline selection in the first.

I don't think RB is a top priority and I don't understand why you have them keeping gore and getting Gordon it just doesn't make sense to me, I think Hyde will make a great starting RB and I can't judge 4 yards a carry off of getting the ball 5 times a game. We both agree something has to be done on the offensive side of the ball We will see...thanks for the mock
Originally posted by Ninerlakerdodger:
If I'm Baalke I'd go get Hardy on a short term prove yourself deal 1 or 2 yr contract. His charges were dismissed! Then draft best WR available with first pick!

Haha. No thank you. We just let go of our own wife beater in McDonald. We don't need to replace him with another.
I think our biggest need cowboys replacement
Arik Armstead imo perfect replacement then move back into the 2nd for WR and CB
I think it's a great idea I want a very offensive draft and I'm always for defense. But if we can trade, cut and restructure a lot it contracts including Vern and date I say boldin an numerous other obvious ones maybe will have FA signing in d we always seem to draft and pick up the right people and that apartment and there is a lot of defensive talent out there I also like Antwan goodly for a h-back or Randall cob type player coming out of the back field and lining up
Share 49ersWebzone