LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

LOB Krptonite

Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
we've been saying this for years, Baalke doesn't care....

Lockett will be a real good shifty/quick WR
AJ Jenkins? Ellington? yep, he doesn't care at all...

Baalke can get a corner with a 7th rounder but he can't pick a WR with a 1st. He should let someone else evaluate that position.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I can't stand the LOB as much as the next Zoner but they were really banged up and it showed. I didn't hear Earl Thomas' name the whole game.

They weren't 100% that's for sure, but we've seen them have issues with small/quick wrs in the past as well. Ellington can definitely take on this role, but I'm not sure how well he runs routes and he didn't really look like a burner to me this past season. (like T.Y Hilton)
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I can't stand the LOB as much as the next Zoner but they were really banged up and it showed. I didn't hear Earl Thomas' name the whole game.

They weren't 100% that's for sure, but we've seen them have issues with small/quick wrs in the past as well. Ellington can definitely take on this role, but I'm not sure how well he runs routes and he didn't really look like a burner to me this past season. (like T.Y Hilton)
Agreed. Ellington caught six passes last season. He was targeted 12 times. Why does that make anyone think he'll be like Amendola, Edelman?Patton caught three passes. As the 3rd and 4th receivers on the team, who thinks they're going to get reps. Why will Boldin and S. Johnson next year be any better than Boldin and Crabtree were last year?
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Feb 3, 2015 at 8:21 AM ]
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Baalke can get a corner with a 7th rounder but he can't pick a WR with a 1st. He should let someone else evaluate that position.
Baalke has picked a WR just once in his GM-career...how have you come to your conclusion?

Besides AJ Jenkins, Baalke acquired Patton, Ellington and Lockette. It's on the coaching staff to use this talent.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
49ers already have guys like that with Ellington and Patton, the next step is to actually play them along with drafting a viable vertical threat.

This, especially Ellington. No reason why he couldn't be like a Julian Edelman type of player.

We already have a proven Edelman-type player on the roster: Stevie Johnson.
IMO, he has far better short-area quickness and route running/saavy than Edelman. The only thing Edelman does better is play KR/PR.

Ellington needs to be our Shane Vereen/Danny Woodhead: 3/4 WR - 1/4 RB.

Carlos Hyde is our Legarrette Blount.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Agreed. Ellington caught six passes last season. He was targeted 12 times. Why does that make anyone think he'll be like Amendola, Edelman?Patton caught three passes. As the 3rd and 4th receivers on the team, who thinks they're going to get reps. Why will Boldin and S. Johnson next year be any better than Boldin and Crabtree were last year?

This is a great point. I don't see why there's so much love for Ellington as this miracle worker who is already on the roster. I don't think he's anywhere near the speed demon that TY Hilton or Desean Jackson are. He may be the quick and elusive player that Edelman is, but only time will tell.

We need true field-stretching speed. Gotta get deep and do it quick against them.
SJ proved for several seasons that he is a very good receiver, same is valid for Boldin.
Performing better than the average Amendola is not very difficult.

Ellington and Patton will be in the mix for the #3-WR whereas they haven been #4 and ä5 respectively in the most time of the last season. Patton's scouting report and the limited game tape of him in our dress clearly shows that he can be at least a very good #3 if not even #2-WR here.
Patton's scouting report by NFL.com:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/quinton-patton?id=2539250
Imho, the report sounds like as if it is about a 1st-2nd-round-prospect.
" In his two seasons starting, however, he has showing NFL teams paying close attention that he possesses the hands, route-running skills, and toughness to be a top-64 pick -– and, eventually, a very good starter."

Ellington's scouting report:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/bruce-ellington?id=2543646
[ Edited by communist on Feb 3, 2015 at 9:05 AM ]
  • All22
  • Veteran

For the last two years our offense has really only be good at playing to Boldin's strengths. The fact that HaRoman couldn't find a way to utilize Stevie Johnson (except for the one Cards game) is telling. People forget that he roasted the best corners regularly in Buffalo (including prime-Revis multiple times and Sherman once).

I bet part of what we're hearing from the FO and coaching staff about better utilizing our players is not just about Kap but Stevie.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 52isabeast:

This is a great point. I don't see why there's so much love for Ellington as this miracle worker who is already on the roster. I don't think he's anywhere near the speed demon that TY Hilton or Desean Jackson are. He may be the quick and elusive player that Edelman is, but only time will tell.

We need true field-stretching speed. Gotta get deep and do it quick against them.

Ellington = Vereen not Edelman.

Remember they had Ellington practicing with the RB's last year. He'd be a far better pass-catcher out of the back field than Vereen is and since he'd only take 3-5 hand offs a game he could survive at RB too.
We as well as the Niners have known about this for a while but Baalke doesn't draft or get free agent receivers in that mold. And even if he did Roman would just stand there scratching his head trying to figure out how to use that player.

Grabbing either Jaelen Strong, Devante Parker or Kevin White in the 1st and then grabbing someone like Tyler Lockett or Jamison Crowder later would be the ideal way to go especially since Boldin is most likely only around for 1 more year. Combine that with adding someone like Duke Johnson in the 3rd and we would be really looking at having some major weapons and speed too on offense!
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Baalke has picked a WR just once in his GM-career...how have you come to your conclusion?

Besides AJ Jenkins, Baalke acquired Patton, Ellington and Lockette. It's on the coaching staff to use this talent.

Don't forget Ronald Johnson and Kyle Williams

Though, both of them were late(?) 6th-round picks.

Though, both of them were late(?) 6th-round picks.

Yup just playing...other than AJ Baalke hasn't gone earlier than the 4th for a WR.
Share 49ersWebzone