There are 224 users in the forums

OnTheClock's Pre-Combine Mock 1/31/15

This type draft is definitely Baalke type. I actually predicted Devin Smith as a first round sleeper in that other thread. You may have unlocked Baalkes draft thinking OTC

Wasting the 15th overall on Devin Smith? I would be like
[ Edited by theninermaniac on Jan 31, 2015 at 10:39 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think Justin Smith is a big key to the draft. I think we will take a strong look at DL and WR for the first pick with OLB being a dark horse since Brooks likely won't be back.

If we go DL, I think we strongly consider Malcom Brown who I'm a big fan of. Scouts project him as a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 penetrator with the versatility to line up on the nose if asked to do so. The league is moving towards the heavier side when it comes to 3-4 DEs. Most of our fans are unaware that the 49ers have one of the lighter DLs in the league among 3-4 teams, so that's something to keep in mind come draft day. There are a lot of nice DL prospects that you might not originally have thought were fits.

I'll throw some other names at you: Xavier Cooper at Washington State (who runs a 3-4), Mario Edwards (FSU), Kaleb Eulls (Mississipi State), Derrick Lott (Chattanooga), and Ray Drew (Georgia, and a very athletic high upside guy. Could run in the 4.7s or 4.8 at 285 pounds)
What did Eddie Goodman do to you?
Hm, will consider a pick of Xavier Cooper in my next mock AFTER the combine.
Nice mock OTC
Originally posted by communist:
I think Justin Smith is a big key to the draft. I think we will take a strong look at DL and WR for the first pick with OLB being a dark horse since Brooks likely won't be back.

If we go DL, I think we strongly consider Malcom Brown who I'm a big fan of. Scouts project him as a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 penetrator with the versatility to line up on the nose if asked to do so. The league is moving towards the heavier side when it comes to 3-4 DEs. Most of our fans are unaware that the 49ers have one of the lighter DLs in the league among 3-4 teams, so that's something to keep in mind come draft day. There are a lot of nice DL prospects that you might not originally have thought were fits.

I'll throw some other names at you: Xavier Cooper at Washington State (who runs a 3-4), Mario Edwards (FSU), Kaleb Eulls (Mississipi State), Derrick Lott (Chattanooga), and Ray Drew (Georgia, and a very athletic high upside guy. Could run in the 4.7s or 4.8 at 285 pounds)
What did Eddie Goodman do to you?

Good player but I don't think Eddie is going to be projected to DE, looks more like scouts are seeing him as a NT.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Nice mock OTC

Thank you my friend. Already making tweaks for the next one.
Good player but I don't think Eddie is going to be projected to DE, looks more like scouts are seeing him as a NT.
Let's talk after the combine again
Your last mock was perfect but this one is nearly perfect. Just not that big of a fan of Smith in the 1st round especially if Shelton or Brown is on the board. Love all the other picks.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Definitely an interesting mock.

Absolutely baffled by the 1st round pick, but love the 2nd - 6th round picks. Hate the Devin Gardner pick. Seems like a big waste of a pick even for a 7th rounder. Then again, I see your point about Baalke's draft history. What about the comp picks? Developmental QB and another defensive linemen perhaps?

I was thinking the team might target the kid from Southeast Louisiana, Bryan Bennett. All that kid needs is to do is hammer down the fundamentals of the QB position both physically and mentally to the level where he can maintain consistency at it. Right now, the obvious knock is he relies too much on athleticism and doesn't have the rocket arm. He's very similar to Russell Wilson except is more of a project in terms of technique and will have a harder adjustment coming from a small school. If he was in a major conference, he'd probably be looked at a round higher. But he's one guy I'd be hopeful they'd consider.

Again, a Baalke type pick. No Sean Mannion or Garrett Grayson for you. D Lineman like Ray Drew from Georgia for you I'm guessing.

Definitely an interesting mock.

Absolutely baffled by the 1st round pick, but love the 2nd - 6th round picks. Hate the Devin Gardner pick. Seems like a big waste of a pick even for a 7th rounder. Then again, I see your point about Baalke's draft history. What about the comp picks? Developmental QB and another defensive linemen perhaps?

I was thinking the team might target the kid from Southeast Louisiana, Bryan Bennett. All that kid needs is to do is hammer down the fundamentals of the QB position both physically and mentally to the level where he can maintain consistency at it. Right now, the obvious knock is he relies too much on athleticism and doesn't have the rocket arm. He's very similar to Russell Wilson except is more of a project in terms of technique and will have a harder adjustment coming from a small school. If he was in a major conference, he'd probably be looked at a round higher. But he's one guy I'd be hopeful they'd consider.

Again, a Baalke type pick. No Sean Mannion or Garrett Grayson for you. D Lineman like Ray Drew from Georgia for you I'm guessing.

No, I haven't seen much to indicate we're looking at QBs at this point. More than anything, Kaepernick needs a veteran backup. I do like Ray Drew a lot. Nice developmental guy. Very solid against the run, needs to develop pass rush moves -- with his athleticism, he'd be a contributor in a hurry.
No, I haven't seen much to indicate we're looking at QBs at this point. More than anything, Kaepernick needs a veteran backup. I do like Ray Drew a lot. Nice developmental guy. Very solid against the run, needs to develop pass rush moves -- with his athleticism, he'd be a contributor in a hurry.

Scott Brown, former Midwestern scout, now the defensive line coach. Has Carl Davis written all over it.

And instead of Devin Smith...replace that with Rashad Greene...you'll really piss em off.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I like it for the most part, I'm just not sure about Devin Smith that high. I'm just not sure if he is much more than a one trick pony, granted that is a trick we need, but at 15 I think you want more of a multifaceted guy. Maybe he would be a trade down possibility or maybe I'm wrong and he is the next Beckham Jr. I like the rest of the draft beyond that though great job as always OTC.

Maybe we can get the Giants to pick a WR for us and we will pick a linebacker for them
Originally posted by crew:
I like Smith as well, Niners can trade down 8-10 spots in 1st to get him and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd. Both Smith and Dorsett will be gone by Niners 2nd round pick.
Niners might be better off taking White or Parker at #15.
I prefer Preston Smith DE in the 3rd over Anderson and Xavier Williams NT at the end of the 4th with the comp pick.
I lean to taking Duke Johnson RB in the 2nd, but Langford would be my 2nd RB choice.
Like the Marpet OL and the Gardner WR picks. Would take Byron Jones CB UConn over Rowe in the 5th.

Really like Jaelen Strong
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
VERY interesting.

HATE the 1st round pick

If Skuya resings will Odighizuha pick be moot?

Also hoping for Henry Anderson

VERY interesting pick - Marpet

Good job!

Glad to hear you hate the first rounder means it could be fairly accurate. Right now Smith is projected to go at the top of the second round. I think between he and Coates I actually like Smith more because of his quickness. His change of direction, to put it plainly, is better than Coates. He would need to develop his route tree but I believe he can do it.

I would love to be wrong in my projection that Trent would reach or pick a low need position. I just feel that history suggests we should probably not get hopes up too much there. I do anticipate a solid draft overall though.

With the first pick we are in dire need of a good size CB who is not afraid to locate the ball and make a play on it.... So tired of watching Culliver being in excellent position on the deep ball and allowing the receiver to catch it every time
Share 49ersWebzone