LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Grab a Wide Receiver in the 1st AND 2nd round?

• Kuya
  • Veteran
York is looking to feature an elite offense. There is risk in this, but is it crazy to pick a WR in both the 1st and 2nd round?

You have your usual suspects in 1st round, but come the 2nd round you have guys like Jaleen Strong, Nelson Agholor, Rashad Greene possibly available for us.

I also think if Dorial Green-Beckham falls to us in the second round and we've grabbed someone like White/Parker in the first, you HAVE to jump on the opportunity to draft both.
Originally posted by Kuya:
York is looking to feature an elite offense. There is risk in this, but is it crazy to pick a WR in both the 1st and 2nd round?

You have your usual suspects in 1st round, but come the 2nd round you have guys like Jaleen Strong, Nelson Agholor, Rashad Greene possibly available for us.

I also think if Dorial Green-Beckham falls to us in the second round and we've grabbed someone like White/Parker in the first, you HAVE to jump on the opportunity to draft both.

If Justin Smith retires, WR isn't even the #1 need IMO. No need to go that early for two of them when you've still got Boldin, Johnson and two developing young players in Patton and Ellington.
That is overkill and something you only do when you don't have starters. We have two starters next season. I don't mind picking up Kevin White in the first and Dorsett in the third (he seems to get higher and higher every week lol). Or even Dorsett in the third and another receiver late. I'm comfortable with Patton and Ellington being given the opportunity to get A LOT of snaps next season so we can finally see what those guys can do. It's not like we have a bunch of scrubs out there They are just misused.

Now D-line on the other hand has experienced a drop in talent with the loss of Ray McDonald alone. If Justin Smith retires, the drop off will be even more significant. With the hire of Jim Tomsula a few weeks back, I asked the board if anyone thinks D-line will become priority number one? Tomsula has done great work with UDFAs and late picks for years. Adding a first round pick on the D-line will give Tomsula the opportunity to work with something he has nevrer had, a young, elite player coming out of college (Justin Smith is definitely elite, but he was also 8 years into his career when he got here). I think having a guy like Danny Shelton and Glen Dorsey (at DE) on line can do a lot to shut down any team's running game, notably Seattle's. Shelton can also provide a little push up the middle so QB's won't simply be able to step up when the rush is coming.
I'd like to think that Carridine, Dial, Williams, Dorsey and the like would really start to pull their weight this season...Ramsey, too. It's almost, though, like expecting Bogut to always be there for you...better have a plan B.
I could see a WR in the first and third with a DE in the second. Going with WR the first two round is a little much. If Dorsett is there in the third round it would make me think maybe him They have Ellington for return, but Dorsett is a little taller and would be nice to have for returns and develop into a good fast WR. in two years the WR would most likely be Patton, Ellington, Who ever they pick this year and maybe Johnson.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
success lives or dies in the trenches. so, no.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
That is overkill and something you only do when you don't have starters. We have two starters next season. I don't mind picking up Kevin White in the first and Dorsett in the third (he seems to get higher and higher every week lol). Or even Dorsett in the third and another receiver late. I'm comfortable with Patton and Ellington being given the opportunity to get A LOT of snaps next season so we can finally see what those guys can do. It's not like we have a bunch of scrubs out there They are just misused.

Now D-line on the other hand has experienced a drop in talent with the loss of Ray McDonald alone. If Justin Smith retires, the drop off will be even more significant. With the hire of Jim Tomsula a few weeks back, I asked the board if anyone thinks D-line will become priority number one? Tomsula has done great work with UDFAs and late picks for years. Adding a first round pick on the D-line will give Tomsula the opportunity to work with something he has nevrer had, a young, elite player coming out of college (Justin Smith is definitely elite, but he was also 8 years into his career when he got here). I think having a guy like Danny Shelton and Glen Dorsey (at DE) on line can do a lot to shut down any team's running game, notably Seattle's. Shelton can also provide a little push up the middle so QB's won't simply be able to step up when the rush is coming.

Tank Carradine... Was graded a 1st round talent if it wasn't for his torn ACL
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
So if we grabbed Kevin White in the 1st and Dorial-Green Beckham fell to us in the 2nd, you wouldn't scoop him up too?
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

This!
Originally posted by Kuya:
So if we grabbed Kevin White in the 1st and Dorial-Green Beckham fell to us in the 2nd, you wouldn't scoop him up too?

No, for several reasons. As stated by Phoenix, if Justin Smith retires DL becomes the number one need. Also, Baalke has a formula for salaries that doesn't include paying one position too much of the total.

You really have to look at the team as a whole and see that there are too many needs to commit the first two picks to WRs when you already have two very young recievers being developed and two veterans who have had 1,000 yard seasons (as pointed out by Lifelongniner). I could sooner see them bringing in a FA WR and a top draft pick.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 31, 2015 at 10:18 AM ]

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

This!

Agree
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Murphys1:
I'd like to think that Carridine, Dial, Williams, Dorsey and the like would really start to pull their weight this season...Ramsey, too. It's almost, though, like expecting Bogut to always be there for you...better have a plan B.

Bogut is good when healthy and much needed.

Williams = Bogut
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Murphys1:

Bogut is good when healthy and much needed.

Williams = Bogut

Good comparison! I think Bogut is actually a better center than Williams is a NT...but point is well taken.

This. Calvin Johnson has won how many SB's exactly?

Meanwhile, what amazing WR-s do the two Superbowl teams have?

I dont see any need to take more than one WR in the first four or five rounds.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This. Calvin Johnson has won how many SB's exactly?

Meanwhile, what amazing WR-s do the two Superbowl teams have?

I dont see any need to take more than one WR in the first four or five rounds.

Great points!

Infact the last time a team with a true #1 WR won the Super Bowl was when manning had 2 of them in Reggie White and Marvin Harrison
[ Edited by Since07 on Jan 31, 2015 at 12:19 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone