LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 164 users in the forums

2015 Draft: Niners trade up scenario's

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I think the 49ers should actually trade down and pick up a 2nd or 3rd. We need bodies with talent. Lets face it, Iupati, Ray Mac, Crabtree and Justin all gone prob so that is gonna leave Huge voids to fill. And if 49ers stay pat at 15?? I would atleast entertain the thought of a trade down to say 25 to 30 and pick up a 2nd or 3rd because 49ers still are talented team when healthy.

Why not add 6 picks in the top 120. If I was a GM that would be my strategy is to add or have or try to get 6 picks in the top 120 picks. That's how you build rosters & depth and starters and plug & play talent.

Disagree. Why not trade back and add picks?
1. This is not a deep draft class
2. We only have a few missing pieces
3. Lots of rookies from last year will come in this year
4. Those extra picks may not even make the team

I think we should trade up if anything to add our impact "deep threat" reciever. That is and has been our biggest need for a long time, we trade back and this may continue to be weakness
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I think the 49ers should actually trade down and pick up a 2nd or 3rd. We need bodies with talent. Lets face it, Iupati, Ray Mac, Crabtree and Justin all gone prob so that is gonna leave Huge voids to fill. And if 49ers stay pat at 15?? I would atleast entertain the thought of a trade down to say 25 to 30 and pick up a 2nd or 3rd because 49ers still are talented team when healthy.

Why not add 6 picks in the top 120. If I was a GM that would be my strategy is to add or have or try to get 6 picks in the top 120 picks. That's how you build rosters & depth and starters and plug & play talent.

I think we should trade up if anything to add our impact "deep threat" reciever. That is and has been our biggest need for a long time, we trade back and this may continue to be weakness

you mean to tell me if we trade down from 15 to say 25-30 and pick up a 2nd rounder, the 2nd rounder wont make the team? 49ers need plug and play rookies already. If they can get 6 Players in the top 100 at various positions, that would ease a lot of our issues. The DLINE needs size and skills. the Oline needs Guard, the secondary needs a true CB and Most of all WR needs a gamechanger.
  • crew
  • Veteran

you mean to tell me if we trade down from 15 to say 25-30 and pick up a 2nd rounder, the 2nd rounder wont make the team? 49ers need plug and play rookies already. If they can get 6 Players in the top 100 at various positions, that would ease a lot of our issues. The DLINE needs size and skills. the Oline needs Guard, the secondary needs a true CB and Most of all WR needs a gamechanger.

Totally agree, I would trade down 5-10 picks in the first and take either Arik Armstead DE from Oregon or Jordan Phillips DT Oklahoma, pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick.
Then take Duke Johnson RB Miami, Jalen Collins CB LSU and Phillip Dorsett WR Miami with the next 3 picks.
Then with the 2 picks in the 4th select Jamil Douglas OG Arizona State and Ellis McCarthy NT UCLA.

Um no. If you read what I said again, I specifically said that if we trade back we may yet again miss out
on that gamechanger WR. The DLINE will have a healthy Dorsey, Williams, Tank, TJE and Dial. We don't know yet if Justin Smith will retire. Ramsey will be in the mix and Okoye was hand picked by Tomsula so I can see him getting his opportunity this year. Brandon Thomas will come in to compete at Guard with whoever isn't starting at C between Kilgore and Martin and Looney as well. I think one of
Cully or Cox will be retained with Brock on the other side as starters and Ward continued in the slot. That leaves Dontae Johnson, McFadden and a healthy Acker and Reaser competition for backup spots.
We have a very solid team that's missing few pieces. I'd much rather do what it takes to fill those pieces now while we still have our all-pro filled defense in their primes and go for that super bowl before that window inevitably closes when our key guys age/retire/hit the FA.
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crew:

Totally agree, I would trade down 5-10 picks in the first and take either Arik Armstead DE from Oregon or Jordan Phillips DT Oklahoma, pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick.
Then take Duke Johnson RB Miami, Jalen Collins CB LSU and Phillip Dorsett WR Miami with the next 3 picks.
Then with the 2 picks in the 4th select Jamil Douglas OG Arizona State and Ellis McCarthy NT UCLA.

I also like Wes Sexton TE South Alabama, Davante Davis WR UNLV, and Byron Jones CB UConn in the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds.
Originally posted by crew:

So you think we can get Dorsett in the third? If he stays healthy throughout the draft process and runs his projected 4.3 40 at the combine, I guarantee you that he will not be there. And with the guys you have us selecting we again will be without a deep threat all for selections of backups
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Who would they be trading up for, that is the question. And IMO, I don't see any player that is worth trading up for, I mean I would LOVE to have Danny Shelton as a 49er, but even I wouldn't trade up for him.

If they love a WR (White?) they might trade up a little, if the price is reasonable.
Baalke traded up for Kap, Kilgore, McDonald, Lemonier, Reid, Hyde,
But you're right, they more often stand pat or have traded down.
[ Edited by Vito_Corleone on Jan 31, 2015 at 1:46 AM ]
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Originally posted by 9moon:
INDY would be a good trader partner... we've always had a great relationship with them..

New England exposed Indy's weakness on offense (WRs) so I expect this team to be eyeing on the stud WRs this year... the whole organization knows that the team do not need much players and would not mind moving up and packaging a future 1st rounder (this is what we shoul've done the last 3 years w/ all the extra picks)..

So we may just see Indy give us this year's 1st and next years' 1st for the 15th overall.. Wayne is retiring, so new blood must be inserted..

I agree that indy would be a good trade partner, but getting their 1st rounder this year and next isn't very realistic IMO. I think we could get their 1st and 3rd, and a 2nd next year.

We traded with the Cowboys in similar draft positions 2 years ago and we gave up a 1st and 2nd.

You don't think Indy's bigger issue is not having ANY threat of a running game?
Originally posted by 9moon:
I like the idea of Detroit trading up to our spot and landing (RB) Melvin Gordon.. We can get their 1st this year and 1st next year..

Then watched the Atlanta Falcons moved up and offer us their 2nd this year (40th overall) and 1st next year in order to land Todd Gurley (RB) ...

Gordon will not get past the Vikings
Originally posted by Kolohe:
If it's at the end of the 1st round yes I would.

Ahhmm what? Leonard Williams?

If he miraculously gets out of the top 10 we better move on up and grab him.

Originally posted by trevorontario:
Gordon will not get past the Vikings

This is a very good RB class. They have other holes to fill even if they want to replace Peterson.
Originally posted by dj43:
I would imagine Baalke will be making some moves, if he can find a trading partner.

My concern is that the rest of the league is still pretty pissed off at the way the Harbaugh deal went down and will only deal with the 49ers if they get a very good deal. IOW, the 49ers have to give up a lot in order to get what they want.

I will be very interesting to see how the FA season goes this year. If a lot of current players leave, the draft will be critical. (obvious) OTOH, if the FO is able to restructure key contracts and keep FAs, then they can package some picks/players and move up to get an impact player.
You really think the rest of the league gives a crap how the Harbaugh deal went down. Get real it is business if a teams see a chance to trade with us they could care less if we fired Bill Walsh.
I think baalke still wants to get his guy at wr. Last year it was Beckham but the price was to steep. Baalke won't make a trade unless we get the better deal. He's very good at making that happen though. I remember everyone freaking out last year at all the trading downs but look how good the draft was, and we haven't even seen three promising players.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Too early.

Until we see what moves teams make in FA and get through the combine to have a better understanding of the draft statuses and stock of a lot of these prospects, it is hard to gauge what teams might have interest in moving up and who they might consider moving up for.

I just read a whole load of posts that seemed based more on hope than on logic.
Originally posted by dj43:
A GM will do ANYTHING to improve the team, including asking for more just because that is the way the wind blows.
yeah but certainly not because of a FO-move which was never his business.
Share 49ersWebzone