LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

NYniner85 pre-combine mock

Confused why you go with 2 DEs with first four picks. I don't like that move at all. It's a heavy investment for what our new HC supposed to be good at developing.

The double down on White and Dorsett I like. It would be nice if they both fell to us where you're drafting them.

If you were to dump Phillips and draft a CB in the second round, I would be down with the mock..
this mock is genius with the mediocre hiring of jeep as OC. We need to stack the offense with playmakers so that no OC could look bad
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Confused why you go with 2 DEs with first four picks. I don't like that move at all. It's a heavy investment for what our new HC supposed to be good at developing.

The double down on White and Dorsett I like. It would be nice if they both fell to us where you're drafting them.

If you were to dump Phillips and draft a CB in the second round, I would be down with the mock..

Well this all depends on if Smith retires (might lose two really good starters). But Phillips is more of a NT than a DE. Williams is constantly hurt and I think being able to stop the run in the NFC West is very important.

Phillips is a massive man at 6-6 334 with really long arms. He would be plugging the holes and scouts have said if he get's that motor going he could be a dominate pro. He needs to work on pass rush but like I said we have a good teacher at that position

Anderson could be more of a 5 technique (like Justin Smith) he has shown real promise at the SB (can line up all over) and I think the 4th RD would be a good spot to grab a DE. He would be the coach's new project and having Tank, him, and Dial would only help keep the line fresh. The defense has always been based around the DL.

I don't see a huge difference in CBs that are projected in the 1st 2 rds and later in the draft. Baalke has proven to find good CBs through out the draft. Cully 3rd, Brock UDFA, Brown 5th, DJ 4th, Cooper 7th etc...DL makes the CBs better in my opinion, plus I think we resign one of the two.

Like I said it this all depends on FA and such...Baalke is wild with his picks and trades, so honestly who knows what he will do
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
this mock is genius with the mediocre hiring of jeep as OC. We need to stack the offense with playmakers so that no OC could look bad

I agree! Baalke has to nail this draft no more torn ACL draft picks we need players that can produce now!
Love this mock, but wonder if the picks will be there at your spots? Every pick is later than CBS's spot for the player. We're a long way from the draft so it will change a number of times before the draft...just curious how you reached your conclusions?
Not a fan of White at 15 and No OL until the 6th round is doubtful

1)there is some thought around here that Mangini prefers a 2-gap-NT. Phillips seems to be that type and he would be the only one on the squad.
2)The cowboy won't be around here any longer and we don't know whether Carradine is the real deal. At least, we need a servicable backup for him. Therefore, he drafted Anderson.
3)we lost RayMac, Ian is injury-prone, the remaining guys (save for the Cowboy) aren't quality starters, they are just ONLY solid instead.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Well this all depends on if Smith retires (might lose two really good starters). But Phillips is more of a NT than a DE. Williams is constantly hurt and I think being able to stop the run in the NFC West is very important.

Phillips is a massive man at 6-6 334 with really long arms. He would be plugging the holes and scouts have said if he get's that motor going he could be a dominate pro. He needs to work on pass rush but like I said we have a good teacher at that position

Anderson could be more of a 5 technique (like Justin Smith) he has shown real promise at the SB (can line up all over) and I think the 4th RD would be a good spot to grab a DE. He would be the coach's new project and having Tank, him, and Dial would only help keep the line fresh. The defense has always been based around the DL.

I don't see a huge difference in CBs that are projected in the 1st 2 rds and later in the draft. Baalke has proven to find good CBs through out the draft. Cully 3rd, Brock UDFA, Brown 5th, DJ 4th, Cooper 7th etc...DL makes the CBs better in my opinion, plus I think we resign one of the two.

Like I said it this all depends on FA and such...Baalke is wild with his picks and trades, so honestly who knows what he will do

I don't see Phillips playing nose in a 34. And to be honest I'm not all that impressed with his film either. I think he's a DE in a 34 and DT in a 43. He's the only pick I have issues with. Otherwise I'm on board.

Edit: I may have figured out why I can't find any real impressive film on Phillips. He's only had 16 career starts. And he's had durability issues (back surgery). Guess it's boom or bust with this guy.
[ Edited by theninermaniac on Jan 30, 2015 at 12:29 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Love this mock, but wonder if the picks will be there at your spots? Every pick is later than CBS's spot for the player. We're a long way from the draft so it will change a number of times before the draft...just curious how you reached your conclusions?

Well I remember seeing plenty of players in last years draft drop from their project spots and like you said it's very early in the draft process. I focused on what positions I'd like them to go after in each rd.

Really the only players that might be out of reach is Phillips (CBS has him as a 1-2 rd prospect) and Gunter is projected as a 4th but 40 time should dictate his projection.

FYI I didn't use CBSsports big board I went based off each position on the website which basically gave me a rough estimate on which rd they should go...which is fairly accurate because we are still in the rough estimate stage in the draft

I don't see Phillips playing nose in a 34. And to be honest I'm not all that impressed with his film either. I think he's a DE in a 34 and DT in a 43. He's the only pick I have issues with. Otherwise I'm on board.

Here is what a AFC North scout said

"He has the body type and length to play in a 3-4 or 4-3 front, but there is no reason to move him from the nose. If he gets that motor going, he could be a dominant pro." -- AFC North scout

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/jordan-phillips?id=2552492

Originally posted by communist:

1)there is some thought around here that Mangini prefers a 2-gap-NT. Phillips seems to be that type and he would be the only one on the squad.
2)The cowboy won't be around here any longer and we don't know whether Carradine is the real deal. At least, we need a servicable backup for him. Therefore, he drafted Anderson.
3)we lost RayMac, Ian is injury-prone, the remaining guys (save for the Cowboy) aren't quality starters, they are just ONLY solid instead.

Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Not a fan of White at 15 and No OL until the 6th round is doubtful

Explain why you don't like White at 15? We are losing Crabs... SJ and Boldin are possession WRs with Boldin only under contract for this year.

In my opinion I think we are fine at OL when everyone is healthy. If we lose Iupati we have Thomas, M Martin, Looney and Shepard.

This looks like a good starting O-line to me

LT Staley, LG Thomas/Martin, C Kilgore/Martin, RG Boone, RT Davis

Backups Looney, Shepard, and either M Martin, Thomas ,Kilgore and maybe the scoop up a cheaper FA.

"He has the body type and length to play in a 3-4 or 4-3 front, but there is no reason to move him from the nose. If he gets that motor going, he could be a dominant pro." -- AFC North scout

Any chance you could post some film on him? From what I've been able to find, which isn't a lot, I don't see a 34 nose. I see a top heavy 43 DT that doesn't play with good leverage. The potential is there, but the film is not.

Any chance you could post some film on him? From what I've been able to find, which isn't a lot, I don't see a 34 nose. I see a top heavy 43 DT that doesn't play with good leverage. The potential is there, but the film is not.

here ya go

http://draftbreakdown.com/video-embed/?clip=254449&start=444&end=451

here ya go

http://draftbreakdown.com/video-embed/?clip=254449&start=444&end=451
Thanks for sharing, but the film just confirmed my prior assesment. I saw decent agility and quickness, but also saw him being handled one on one. I saw minimal effort and saw him being washed out on running plays. He wasn't even very good at holding the LOS.

What are you seeing in him that I'm not?
Share 49ersWebzone