There are 213 users in the forums

Marcus Peters

This is a guy who caught my eye before I ever heard the name, by watching a husky game. The more I watch, the more I'm blown away. This guys is the real deal. Now the team dismissal will certainly need to be addressed, and can't be overlooked, but purely based on on-the-field performance, this guy is my top rated player in the draft.

There are 3 dimensions by which I like to evaluate players, and ideally they all point in the same direction. If they do, that's a clean prospect (again, referring only to on the field performance).

1) Production.This is my first go-to. You'll notice that NFL production correlates incredibly well with College production. Historically draft experts have scuffed at this, but now they're realizing more and more that you can tell a lot about a player by their stats. If a guy couldn't get a sack in college, I worry about what he'll do at the NFL level, regardless of his wingspan or quickness.

2) Tape. This needs to validate the above. So many schools and so many systems, that all numbers aren't created equal. Sometimes you'll see a guy with 4 ints and that seems like nice production, but then you watch the tape and he didn't really work for any of them. Just gifts from a terrible QB, or balls bouncing off an open receivers hands. Everything goes through tape.

3) Measurables. This is a grown man's game, and as much as we find outliers who can overcome this, it's still a very important consideration. A DB with production who runs a 4.6 simply won't translate to the NFL. Maybe a few will (Boldin), but it's a red flag. And if a guy has the tape and the production and then blows away the combine, then you run to the podium with his name on the card (i.e. JJ Watt).

So how does Peters stack up?

1) Production. There's one stat that bothers me, and that's games played. But his production is jaw dropping:

• 3 Ints is a good number. To have that in a freshman year is fantastic
  • Pick 6 as a freshman
  • 11 Passes Defensed as a freshman?! 11 is amazing. 11 as a freshman is just absurd.
  • As a sophmore, 4 games, 3.5 TFL... and 5 Ints?! Lets add 9 PDs. In 4 games? I don't even get it...
  • This year: 2 games 3 Ints. Ok, this needs to stop. The guy has 11 Ints in 19 games, and 8 over his last 6.

2) Now how is this happening? What's the tape saying? For example, he's got a Forced Fumble. What was that? Maybe an accidental hit and the ball-carrier just dropped it? Maybe these Ints just fell into his hands? Just watch this, and try to keep your jaw from hitting the floor (against Brandin Cooks and OR State last year): http://draftbreakdown.com/video/marcus-peters-vs-oregon-state-2013/. In fact, watch any of them. It's all absurd.

3) 6'0" 198. Still waiting for the rest of the numbers, but I think it's safe to say that measurables won't hold him back.

He's got instincts, ability to stick with WRs, is incredible at 50/50 balls, can turn his hips and high point the ball. He jumps routes on time, and is an absolute thug at the LOS. He's also violent. I'm surprised he hasn't been arrested for assult, based on what he does to WRs trying to catch the ball. The Sherman comparison is a hefty one, but he's got a lot of similarities to his game. I know the team dismissal is nothing to scuff at, but based on what I've seen, I have him rated as the top player in this draft.

Thoughts?
[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on Jan 25, 2015 at 11:45 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Highlight Tape

[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 11, 2015 at 11:27 AM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Guy looks really good but man do we want a guy who butts heads with coaches
Originally posted by jimrat:
Guy looks really good but man do we want a guy who butts heads with coaches

I know, that's definitely a big thing, but I think that was Baalke's thinking with removing Harbaugh. I think they wanted a coach that can get through to the young knuckleheads by creating an environment of order and stability. But if he doesn't get kicked off the team, I bet we're not talking about him. If he plays every game this past year, I'm guessing his name makes most of its appearances on Bucs' and Titans' forums.
all the talk about Dorial Green-Beckham, who is a very talented but raw player, when we should be talking more about Marcus Peters. he'd probably be a top-10 pick if it wasn't for the red flags, but I would definitely consider him at 15.
Great name for the adult film industry. But football wise, the red flags make me leery.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Great name for the adult film industry. But football wise, the red flags make me leery.

same here, but the red flags actually have to do with what went on on the field. guy is competitive and passionate and he argued with coaches. may not be a good thing, but i think it's better to be able to bring that type of player in rather than one with a history of off the field drug issues
Originally posted by AsianJeff:
Originally posted by Travisty13:

same here, but the red flags actually have to do with what went on on the field. guy is competitive and passionate and he argued with coaches. may not be a good thing, but i think it's better to be able to bring that type of player in rather than one with a history of off the field drug issues

I agree with you on that. If I were to roll the dice on a guy with red flags, I'd rather it be because he's confrontational/competitive than cause they want to be Scarface or hit woman.
I think he is a top 3 CB in the draft, but I don't see CB as our #1 priority. No way we go CB at 15 unless they don't resign either CB.

I hope the "red flags" drop him into the 2nd, but due to the lack of elite talent at CB and every team is looking for lock down CBs he will be drafted in the 1st.

It would be fun to have our own Sherman sh*t talker lol
My favorite CB

• 9moon
  • Veteran
With SuH being available in FA... and the possibility of Baalke falling inlove with both Peters and Green Beckham, Jed and the rest of the 49ers may just have to eat their own " WIN with CLASS" new attitude!!!

Cause one thing's for sure, both rookies are ready to play big time!!!
If he Niners trade down, this guy is at or near the top of my list.
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
If he Niners trade down, this guy is at or near the top of my list.

Niners probably shouldn't trade down below #20 if they want him, Eagles at #20 have been linked to taking Peters there.
There's reports that the team is meeting with him at the Combine. He's a stud.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
The guy is an alpha on the field. An ornery dog of a competitor. Has nfl success written all over him.
Hes going to alter game plans.
If he passes the character test, NOT a reach at 15.
Share 49ersWebzone