Carl Davis-DL-Iowa

• DeUh
  • Veteran
[ Edited by DeUh on Dec 22, 2015 at 12:44 AM ]
Would he be more of a DE in the 3-4? He is pretty tall for a NT
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
From WalterFootball:

.......However, Davis has flunked the team interviews.......He told teams that he should only play about half the snaps in a game in order to be effective. Teams felt he came across as very arrogant and lazy. Davis is going to need to turn that around before his Combine and pre-draft visit interviews.......

LoL.

If true, any interest I may have had is gone. It is WalterFootball though so who knows how reliable the info is.
Obviously very stupid to let something like that come out.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
From WalterFootball:

.......However, Davis has flunked the team interviews.......He told teams that he should only play about half the snaps in a game in order to be effective. Teams felt he came across as very arrogant and lazy. Davis is going to need to turn that around before his Combine and pre-draft visit interviews.......

LoL.

If true, any interest I may have had is gone. It is WalterFootball though so who knows how reliable the info is.

He might be a guy Tomsula could get through to by putting him on the bench for awhile. The good news is that if he's just immature he may drop to the niners in the second or even third round...Keep talking Carl!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
From WalterFootball:

LoL.

He might be a guy Tomsula could get through to by putting him on the bench for awhile. The good news is that if he's just immature he may drop to the niners in the second or even third round...Keep talking Carl!

If he falls to the 2nd, I'd be excited. He'd be just what we need to replace Ray Mac, especially if our guys can put some fire into him.
From WalterFootball:

LoL.

I agree. I need him to fall further however lol. Not likely to happen though, but I'm pretty set on who I want with the first three picks. Unless we acquire an extra third somehow.
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
From WalterFootball:

LoL.

If he falls to the 2nd, I'd be excited. He'd be just what we need to replace Ray Mac, especially if our guys can put some fire into him.

Yes, I had him in the 2nd round in my Mock Draft but perhaps they can wait until the 3rd if he really annoys GMs.
  • buck
  • Veteran
From WalterFootball:

One player who has had a mixed Senior Bowl is Iowa defensive tackle Carl Davis. He has displayed a nice skill set with strength, size, and a burst. However, Davis has flunked the team interviews. He has said he didn't work hard in practice at Iowa because he was going against young scout team linemen and he didn't want to risk injury against some overzealous underclassmen. He told teams that he should only play about half the snaps in a game in order to be effective. Teams felt he came across as very arrogant and lazy. Davis is going to need to turn that around before his Combine and pre-draft visit interviews.

Do you have a link to that article?

I find it hard to believe that a lazy player was selected as practice player of the week---and Davis was.

Davis named Practice Player of the Week

http://www.seniorbowl.com/news-highlights-detail.php?news=281
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
From WalterFootball:

One player who has had a mixed Senior Bowl is Iowa defensive tackle Carl Davis. He has displayed a nice skill set with strength, size, and a burst. However, Davis has flunked the team interviews. He has said he didn't work hard in practice at Iowa because he was going against young scout team linemen and he didn't want to risk injury against some overzealous underclassmen. He told teams that he should only play about half the snaps in a game in order to be effective. Teams felt he came across as very arrogant and lazy. Davis is going to need to turn that around before his Combine and pre-draft visit interviews.

Do you have a link to that article?

I find it hard to believe that a lazy player was selected as practice player of the week---and Davis was.

Davis named Practice Player of the Week

http://www.seniorbowl.com/news-highlights-detail.php?news=281

I wouldn't consider the quote that serious unless other sources validate the claim.

There's a lot of mudslinging that goes around this time of year to drive down the value of players in order for those lower draft pick teams to get a shot at selecting him.

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
I wouldn't consider the quote that serious unless other sources validate the claim.

There's a lot of mudslinging that goes around this time of year to drive down the value of players in order for those lower draft pick teams to get a shot at selecting him.

Excellent point.
Originally posted by GEEK:

Excellent point.

Looks like the negative reports are wrong...darn, can't take him in the 3rd--from ESPN Insider:

"The issue with Davis previously has been his inconsistency, as his effort has been up and down," McShay wrote. "But he is a very impressive physical talent, with good quickness and athleticism for his size, and that was on display during the Senior Bowl practices last week. He moved up our board based on his performance, and has good upside as an interior pass-rusher in addition to being stout versus the run." This ranking jives with industry consensus. Davis entered the Senior Bowl with a Round 2 grade, but many believe he's a late first-rounder now. For instance, NFL Media's Mike Mayock said Davis "may have elevated himself right into the first round" at the event, TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline wrote that Davis "was a mid 2nd-round pick beforehand who just got rewarded on draft day for his Senior Bowl," and CBS Sports' Dane Brugler wrote that Davis "might have cemented himself as a top-50 prospect."
Senior bowl practice/game really boosted his stock. While he was dominant at senior bowl his tape shows the opposite. He seems to be a lazy player. Probably boosted up to a 2nd rounder at this point to most people. I'd take a chance on him in the 4th/5th round. Could be a DOMINANT NFL player in the future if he really hones his craft.
We don't have time for lazy bums unless he slips to day 3.

So, Davis seems to be another workout warrior who was so-so during his collegiate career?
[ Edited by communist on Jan 31, 2015 at 6:16 PM ]
Originally posted by communist:
We don't have time for lazy bums unless he slips to day 3.

So, Davis seems to be another workout warrior who was so-so during his collegiate career?

No, according to McShay and ESPN he tore up the Senior Bowl practices and may have jumped his spot in the draft from McShay's original spot in round 3 to a late 1st. Odd contradictory reports...
Share 49ersWebzone