There are 289 users in the forums

Quinten Rollins- CB, Miami (Ohio)

I wanted to get this train rolling and introduce those unfamiliar with a very intriguing CB option for the 49ers.

Quinten Rollins- CB, Miami (Ohio)
Height: 6'0
Weight: 205

This kid has only played one year of college football (4 year starter on the basketball team) and in his first year not only won the starting position, but lead the team in interceptions and was the defensive conference player of the year. This kid oozes potential and playmaking, yet has a suprisingly polished game and floor given his lack of experience. I would LOVE him in the 2nd, though have a feeling he is going to surprise and leap into the late 1st round as the draft approaches.

CBS Sports
The Scouting ReportA football and basketball recruit in high school, Rollins went the basketball route in college and played four seasons at point guard for the Redhawks. He finished his basketball career second in Miami history in steals (214), but with one year of eligibility left, Rollins wanted to return to football and tried out for the Redhawks during the Spring of 2014. He made the team and earned a starting job at cornerback, growing more comfortable at the position as the season progressed. Rollins finished the 2014 season with 72 tackles, 16 passes defended and seven interceptions, earning Team MVP and MAC Defensive Player of the Year honors.

Rollins is a fluid, natural athlete with excellent foot quickness and make-up speed to mirror receivers up and down the field. He displays good plant-and-drive burst with change-of-direction skills to redirect his momentum quickly. Built well for the position with moldable traits, Rollins is a tough run defender and shows solid mechanics for his inexperience. He has a short memory and bounces back nicely from mistakes, exuding confidence on the field. Rollins has terrific ballskills with accurate tracking and timing to get his hands on the ball.

Rollins has only one year of experience on the football field since high school and is admittedly raw in several aspects of the game. He is still learning technique and tendencies at the position and needs to better develop his route recognition. Rollins isn't well versed with his backpedal and tends to flip his hips at the line of scrimmage, losing sight of the ball and focusing on the wide receiver off the snap. He plays a lot of press, but doesn't make contact near the line of scrimmage and needs coached up with his jam technique.

[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Jan 21, 2015 at 4:01 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Don't know bout you guys, but I saw this kid 3x this season, and I know it may be a big name to compare him to.. but I see him like I saw Revis Island before he declared for the NFL..
He needs some time to sit and work on his instincts at this point. Thats really his only major downside.
Nice find. Would be nice if we could grab him in mid rounds
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
he'll be sittin there for us in the 2nd round..
Originally posted by 9moon:
he'll be sittin there for us in the 2nd round..

Lil high me thinks. I see him as a 3-4 rounder.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
if Baalke waits until the 3rd, he will end up drafting another CB because this guy will no longer be there...
I just watched PFT on TV and they said if this kid has a good combine, he could go in the 1st
Man I'd love to get him, oozing potential is an understatement. I can totally see this kid as the next shutdown CB in the Revis mode as mentioned above. I'd gladly use the 2nd on him, but like Quest said I think he played his way into the first during senior bowl week and more so if he has a solid combine
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
3rd round at best for me, not enough body of work, I'd hate to see them aim high for a one hit wonder. But yes I agree he's very fluid with good ball skills.

He needs some work , but definitely has some skills that can be worked with before letting him hit the field
Looking at film of him, he kind of reminds me of Xavier Rhodes of the Vikings
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
the game over the weekend just justified why this kid should be drafted in the 2nd round.. MID second, just where we at.. we wait in the 3rd, and he'll no longer be there.. the upside is so "great" that any teams after the 20th pick in the 2nd round would not mind taking him...

DL - in the first
Rollins in the 2nd..
Very good ball skills for a corner was impressed his ? is his 40 time the combine will be important for him
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9moon:
the game over the weekend just justified why this kid should be drafted in the 2nd round.. MID second, just where we at.. we wait in the 3rd, and he'll no longer be there.. the upside is so "great" that any teams after the 20th pick in the 2nd round would not mind taking him...

DL - in the first
Rollins in the 2nd..

I think you're putting too much stock into what he did at the Senior Bowl.
Share 49ersWebzone