LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

The Chud Mock

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Key Resignings -

Chris Culliver - CB
Frank Gore - RB (Chud coached him at U of Miami)

Free Agent Signings -

Pernell McPhee - DE/LB - Ravens | Goodbye Brooks, hello McPhee.
Brian Hoyer - QB - Browns | Backup to Kaepernick. (Chud's QB in Cleveland).
Danny McCray - S - Bears | ST ace and safety backup.

Trades -

Ahmad Brooks - DE/LB traded to the Redskins for a 5th round draft pick. Family connections in DC and replacement for Orakpo.

NFL Draft -

49ers trade 1st round pick for the Jets 2nd, 3rd, and 2016 2nd round draft picks. Jets trade up for Brett Hundley - QB - UCLA, leapfrogging the Texans.

R2: Sammie Coates - WR - Auburn (via Jets, #37 overall)
*Elite speed to stretch defenses and open up the intermediate passing game.

R2: Jake Fisher - OT/OG - Oregon (#46)
*Competes with B. Thomas day one for the starting LG position, but also backs up LT and RT to improve depth across the O-line.

R3: Jay Ajayi - RB - Boise St. (via Jets, #70)
*Ultra productive RB and a threat in the passing game. 4 headed monster in the backfield + Miller.

R3: Garrett Grayson - QB - Colorado St. (#79)
*Similar game to Carson Palmer, and very good with deep passes.

(49ers trade 4th and 5th round picks for the Patriots 4th round pick (via Tampa Bay)

R4: Henry Anderson - DT/DE - Stanford (via Patriots, #100ish)
*Win at the defensive line. Possible successor to Justin Smith.

R5: Jermauria Rasco - DE/LB - LSU (via Redskins, #130ish)
*Great potential, but lacks consistency. Aaron Lynch 2.0 perhaps?

R6: Cam Worthy - WR - East Carolina (#180ish)
*Mid-round talent but off-field issues drop him here.

R7: Julian Wilson - CB/S - Oklahoma (#240ish)
*Probable PS player.

Depth Chart -

QB: Kaepernick/Hoyer*/Grayson*
RB: Gore/Hyde/Ajayi*/Hunter
FB: Miller
TE: Davis/McDonald/Millard*

WR: Boldin/Patton
WR: Johnson/Ellington
WR: Coates*/Worthy*

LT: Staley
LG: Fisher*/Thomas*
C: Kilgore/M. Martin
RG: Boone/Looney
RT: Davis/J. Martin

LE: Smith/Anderson*
NT: Dorsey/Williams
RE: Carradine/Dial

OLB: Smith/Lemonier/Rasco*
ILB: Willis/Borland
ILB: Bowman/Wilhoite
OLB: McPhee*/Lynch

CB: Culliver/Cook/Reaser*
CB: Brock/Johnson/Acker*
FS: Reid/Ward
SS: Bethea/McCray*

ST: Dawson, Lee, Nelson
Nice This is who I hope they resign and the FAs you pick are realistic...I think we will trade down as well, but I hope they still get a late 1st RD pick in the process.

I wonder about restructures as well. Do you extend A Smith? Do you restructure players like Bowman and SJ?

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Nice This is who I hope they resign and the FAs you pick are realistic...I think we will trade down as well, but I hope they still get a late 1st RD pick in the process.

I wonder about restructures as well. Do you extend A Smith? Do you restructure players like Bowman and SJ?

Paycut for Johnson. Restructure Kap and Willis. I'd keep Aldon's contract as/is. Too risky.
Grayson a 3rd round pick? You must be out of your mind! Weak arm, not NFL ready . . .

Also not a fan of our first pick being Sammie Coates. I would hope for some more immediate impact players early or a top line prospect. Coates is a project that we don't really need to undertake when there are so many good receivers available who can contribute immediately
Great work chud looking forward to your next one ....
Would love.to here what else you would do is the cowboy came back and how else you would bring in on free agency ...
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Nice mock GEEK.

McPhee, Coates and Grayson are strong candidates to make it into my 2nd Version.

2nd is a little too high for Fisher IMO but he would be a nice addition to our OL if we make the transition to Zone. Quick footwork, above average lateral agility, strong punch.

Henderson and Rasco had nice weeks at the Senior Bowl and East West Shrine Game.

Not yet familiar with the 2 Safeties McCray and Wilson.
Seems to high for Grayson and really don't like the trade. The need to add some 1st round talent to this team. I'd rther use that on better WR prospect than Coates or possibly a d lineman. Everything else is good
What? No David Cobb or Maxx Williams? This is BS.

This would shore up the QB depth, that's for sure. I still don't like our CB depth, but haven't really seen a ton of Reaser or Acker.
I also feel like Reid is a good knock or two away from early retirement and I don't have much confidence in Ward as a safety yet.
Sammie Coates excites me and scares me all at the same time. Dude has some horrible hands, but when he flies, he flies.
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
Grayson a 3rd round pick? You must be out of your mind! Weak arm, not NFL ready . . .

Also not a fan of our first pick being Sammie Coates. I would hope for some more immediate impact players early or a top line prospect. Coates is a project that we don't really need to undertake when there are so many good receivers available who can contribute immediately

No, he's pretty on point I think, at least looking in right now. I'd say 3rd round is fairly realistic for Grayson in a QB poor draft.

Few points to discuss:

- Big return on the trade, but should they do it in the first place if one of the top four WR's is still available? Parker will likely be there along with DGB if the Niners stand pat.
- like all the picks in rounds 2nd - 5th
- I am assuming you are skipping picking a CB with Cully re-signing, Brock coming back and Reaser plus Acker in the wings. Correct?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Few points to discuss:

- Big return on the trade, but should they do it in the first place if one of the top four WR's is still available? Parker will likely be there along with DGB if the Niners stand pat.
- like all the picks in rounds 2nd - 5th
- I am assuming you are skipping picking a CB with Cully re-signing, Brock coming back and Reaser plus Acker in the wings. Correct?

Here's my thoughts on WR: We need an explosive weapon, but you look like Emmanuel Sanders, Desean Jackson, and TY Hilton - they are smaller, quicker WRs that have developed a niche in this league. Parker and White are nice big bodied possession receivers that would bolster the talent, but they don't address the CORE need of our offense. And after the latest Josh Gordon incident, along with the "winning with class" theme, I think DGB is off their draft board.

I guess another way to look at it is this...is Odell Beckham worth Jimmie Ward, Carlos Hyde, Chris Borland, and Marcus Martin? With our cap strapped situation, I think this is an area where we can lean in by trading down to acquire more talent. We need to get younger, and breathe is the strategy to do that in the draft.

In terms of your CB question, yes. You got Cully coming back via resigning, Brock, Cook, and Ward coming back from injuries, and then you got Acker and Reaser. Plus, I'm sure we'll still have Cromartie and McFadden compete in training camp and pre-season. So we have a pool of good talent there. With Mangini now DC, we'll see how those pieces fit.
McPhee is one of my favourite FA - would love to see him as a 49er
  • cools
  • Veteran
Dont forget last years rookie CB Johnson, he played well
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cools:
Dont forget last years rookie CB Johnson, he played well

Great point. Yes. So you got Johnson, Culliver, Ward, Brock, and the rest of the gang.
Share 49ersWebzone