LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 221 users in the forums

2015 Senior Bowl

With Senior Bowl week kicking off next week, I thought I'd open a thread on this critical week for our organization.

As always, NFLNetwork will be bringing practices to our homes. Players arrive in Mobile today and the first broadcast is Monday night's preview at 10:30 EST. The first live practices on TV happen at 3:30 EST on Tuesday and continue through Thursday before the game next Saturday at 4 PM EST.

The rosters may still be shifting over the next couple days due to injuries or agents (Grasso, White and Kendricks pulled out this week), but players to keep an eye on for the Niners as first round possibilities:
Danny Shelton- DT Washington
Nate Orchard, DE/OLB, Utah (I think he will be a riser over the draft cycle)
Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn (Probably more of a late first/early-mid second, but you never know)
La'El Collins, OT/G, LSU (May end up the first guard drafted)
Carl Davis, DT, Iowa (Probably too rich for a mid-first, but someone to keep an eye on)

As for guys I am looking at in particular:
Ty Lockett- Everything he touches turns to gold. I think he blows people away this week. Stud.
Josh Harper- Can he join the conversation with the big boys at the top of the WR chart
Markus Golden- Shorter measurables you want to see for an edge rusher, but great player for Missouri. Can he keep rising up the board?
Clive Walford- Interesting prospect at TE. Athletic, and raw.
David Johnson- Northern Iowa- Should pop out at people this week. Very excited to see him match up with the big boys. Anticipating a great week
Sean Mannion- If he wants to compete with Hundley to be the third QB off the board, this is the starting point. If he can't run laps around this group, outside of Petty. it will not be a good sign.
Doran Grant- Do not buy the Devin Smith hype. The better Buckeye in this game is Grant, who played great down the stretch against top level WRs. Vastly underrated.
Ameer Abdullah- Really good. The big questions this week: Can he pass block, and how are the hands out of the backfield?
TJ Clemmings- May end up a top ten pick and the first guy selected from this game. It is is his show to take or throw away.
Marcus Hardison- Perfect look for a 3-4 DE of 43 DT. 6'4", 300 pounds. Hope he brings his best this week.
Justin Hardy- A huge week for him. He has some skills, but can he match up with Lockett, Coates, and Harper. I am just not that sure.
Bryce Petty- Lot of people skeptical about him as a system QB. I think he's got a bit more in him, and see him as the probable MVP of the game. Not sure how practices will play out for him.

In the end, it is quite a nice collection of RBs with Abdullah, Cobb, Johnson, Langford, and Artis-Payne, as well as a solid group of OL and DL. I am not sure this group of LBs and DBs will match some of the previous years, and once again, QB play will probably be shaky.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 18, 2015 at 1:52 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
With Senior Bowl week kicking off next week, I thought I'd open a thread on this critical week for our organization.

As always, NFLNetwork will be bringing practices to our homes. Players arrive in Mobile today and the first broadcast is Monday night's preview at 10:30 EST. The first live practices on TV happen at 3:30 EST on Tuesday and continue through Thursday before the game next Saturday at 4 PM EST.

The rosters may still be shifting over the next couple days due to injuries or agents (Grasso, White and Kendricks pulled out this week), but players to keep an eye on for the Niners as first round possibilities:
Danny Shelton- DT Washington
Nate Orchard, DE/OLB, Utah (I think he will be a riser over the draft cycle)
Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn (Probably more of a late first/early-mid second, but you never know)
La'El Collins, OT/G, LSU (May end up the first guard drafted)
Carl Davis, DT, Iowa (Probably too rich for a mid-first, but someone to keep an eye on)

As for guys I am looking at in particular:
Ty Lockett- Everything he touches turns to gold. I think he blows people away this week. Stud.
Josh Harper- Can he join the conversation with the big boys at the top of the WR chart
Markus Golden- Shorter measurables you want to see for an edge rusher, but great player for Missouri. Can he keep rising up the board?
Clive Walford- Interesting prospect at TE. Athletic, and raw.
David Johnson- Northern Iowa- Should pop out at people this week. Very excited to see him match up with the big boys. Anticipating a great week
Sean Mannion- If he wants to compete with Hundley to be the third QB off the board, this is the starting point. If he can't run laps around this group, outside of Petty. it will not be a good sign.
Doran Grant- Do not buy the Devin Smith hype. The better Buckeye in this game is Grant, who played great down the stretch against top level WRs. Vastly underrated.
Ameer Abdullah- Really good. The big questions this week: Can he pass block, and how are the hands out of the backfield?
TJ Clemmings- May end up a top ten pick and the first guy selected from this game. It is is his show to take or throw away.
Marcus Hardison- Perfect look for a 3-4 DE of 43 DT. 6'4", 300 pounds. Hope he brings his best this week.
Justin Hardy- A huge week for him. He has some skills, but can he match up with Lockett, Coates, and Harper. I am just not that sure.
Bryce Petty- Lot of people skeptical about him as a system QB. I think he's got a bit more in him, and see him as the probable MVP of the game. Not sure how practices will play out for him.

In the end, it is quite a nice collection of RBs with Abdullah, Cobb, Johnson, Langford, and Artis-Payne, as well as a solid group of OL and DL. I am not sure this group of LBs and DBs will match some of the previous years, and once again, QB play will probably be shaky.

This is shaping up to be one of the best SB in recent memory. To bad both Parker and White pulled out. can't wait to look at Garrett Grayson. imo Grayson> Mannion
Also want to see Carl Davis, Shelton, Kujaijo(probably butchered that),Coates, and Dupree
Originally posted by shmuck:
This is shaping up to be one of the best SB in recent memory. To bad both Parker and White pulled out. can't wait to look at Garrett Grayson. imo Grayson> Mannion
Also want to see Carl Davis, Shelton, Kujaijo(probably butchered that),Coates, and Dupree

Dupree is out. Too bad
Dupree is out. Too bad

I thought he had an opportunity to be the biggest riser out of anyone in the SB. That's a major disappointment.
That is a good list of prospects. What do you think about Crowder from Duke? His numbers would be a lot better if he had a decent QB
Originally posted by jordanroberts88:
That is a good list of prospects. What do you think about Crowder from Duke? His numbers would be a lot better if he had a decent QB

Crowder in college- wow! Really terrific player. In the NFL- so short that he will be limited to the slot. A creative team can surely use him, but he might end up at 5'8 1/2" max. That is really short for a modern NFL wide receiver. I hope he really gets a shot at the next level. Probably in that 4th-5th round area depending on this week and the combine.
maddo---will Brandon Scherf be able to play sound left tackle in the nfl?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
the RT from Pitt is suppose to be a big time Diamon in the Rough... I haven't since a Senior Bowl line up like this since the 1989 class (Aikman, Deion, the Thomas - Derek & Broderick Twins.. etc)
My first thoughts about the Senior Bowl at the moment are... The 49ers have GOT to get their OC and DC beforehand so we know what kind of scheme we need to incorporate into the evaluations.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
My first thoughts about the Senior Bowl at the moment are... The 49ers have GOT to get their OC and DC beforehand so we know what kind of scheme we need to incorporate into the evaluations.

Ehh from a fan perspective I see why you would say that but they're going to evaluate everyone anyways so its not to big of a deal for the organization.

I am sure Trent will be there, but I agree that it would be nice to have our OC and DC with him at the Senior Bowl during this process.

I am sure Trent will be there, but I agree that it would be nice to have our OC and DC with him at the Senior Bowl during this process.

Agree
My all-star lineup pre-bowl

OT: Collins, Fabujule
OG: Douglas, Tomlinson
C: Dismukes
RB: David Cobb
TE: Clive Walford
WR: Devin Smith, Phillip Dorsett, Tyler Lockett
QB: Sean Mannion

DE: Nate Orchard, Preston Smith
DT: Hardison, Shelton
LB: Mike Hull, Denzel Perryman, Martrell Spraight
CB: Eric Rowe, Golsen
S: Drummond, Cody Prewitt
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jan 19, 2015 at 6:18 PM ]

Since they don't have those people yet, I hope that Baalke is looking at the skill positions (WR and CB) and looking to add some much needed speed.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Washington NT Danny Shelton measured 6-foot-1 3/4 and 343 pounds at Tuesday's Senior Bowl weigh-in.

Shelton reportedly pumped his fist after the weigh-in was announced and elicited oohs and aahs from the Mobile scouting crowd. He's an absolute behemoth, drawing comparisons to Haloti Ngata from NFL Network's Mike Mayock. Shelton projects as a top-15 pick in May's draft.
Share 49ersWebzone