There are 245 users in the forums

Cardale Jones

Guy literally only has three starts and becomes the king of college football. If he declares what round does he get selected in
lol

(and I'm an Ohio State fan)
Doubt he declares. Not enough tape on him and QB generally have to start for a couple years in college if they want to be drafted.
My guess would be 5th rd based on upside potential. He will get drafted for sure if he comes out.
Originally posted by TheRambler:
lol

(and I'm an Ohio State fan)

these people are crazy

Having Ezekiel rushing for 200+ yards is quite the help for a qb lol
R-A-W. Don't let what he did the last few weeks make you think he is anywhere near NFL ready. He would have a hard time being anything more than a 3rd stringer in year one. He's a 5th-7th pick right now. Looks a lot like a faster Byron Leftwich to me.
Looks more like Roethlisberger to me
Jamarcus Russell 2.0
  • lazy
  • Veteran
I think he'll go as high as a third round pick.
Originally posted by 9er4lyphe:
Jamarcus Russell 2.0

Seems like a great kid. Had issues in Spring and completely turned things around. He is worth the risk with his size, arm strength, mobility, and poise. Small sample but he has more upside than Mariota. In my opinion Mariota will struggle in the NFL.

I see him as a solid backup that can win a game or 2 if the starting guy is out. Great physical abilities but we will see.
Roethlisberger is a good comparison, but he needs a lot more work to get to that level. He's got an elite arm. I read that he can throw the ball 65 yards from his knees which probably isn't true, but you can see him flick the ball way downfield in games. He looks like he's 6'5+, 250+ as well and moves reasonably well. If he goes pro, he will clearly be drafted and I doubt he lasts to the 3rd round. If he stays and proves that this wasn't a fluke, he could be a top 5 pick. It's a tough call though since Ohio State doesn't care about his long term potential and may go with Braxton Miller or JT Barrett next year instead.

Also, it's not a coincidence that Ezekiel broke out when Jones became the starting QB. They helped each other.
My buddies and I were debating this this morning. Jones absolutely should declare for the draft. He's 22 and just had a daughter. He very easily may not be named the starter this spring and going back poses a risk as well. He's much better off sitting behind an NFL starter a few years and collecting a few hundred thousand in the mean time. At best he's goes in the 3rd to a team who can afford to take him that early but I'm thinking late 4th, maybe 5th round. And there have plenty of college backups drafted without any tape.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

On the other hand

He's 22 with three starts, where has he been? If the coaching staff had him buried so far down they must know more than anyone. If he sticks around and Meyer picks someone else to start, what happens then?
Share 49ersWebzone