LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

What is the safest pick at #15?

Originally posted by KaeptinKrunch:
Yup this is the right answer... Goldman would be a perfect fit in this defense and is the best 3-4 lineman in the draft. But I really hope we get a true #1 WR somehow. Maybe if we hire gase D. Thomas might come with?

What happened to Leonard Williams? Pretty sure he could be a beast 3-4 DE... Goldman is interesting and I think he'll move clearly ahead of Shelton at the combine, but 15 may be a little high for him. La'el Collins could be a pretty sweet guard or RT if he's there at 15 and there isn't a WR or defensive lineman we want. He could replace Iupati if Iupati is too pricey.
Yup this is the right answer... Goldman would be a perfect fit in this defense and is the best 3-4 lineman in the draft. But I really hope we get a true #1 WR somehow. Maybe if we hire gase D. Thomas might come with?

Nice thought! Thomas is a UFA this off season and might have a good rapport with Gase. That would free the team up to look toward other concerns in the draft.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
What happened to Leonard Williams? Pretty sure he could be a beast 3-4 DE... Goldman is interesting and I think he'll move clearly ahead of Shelton at the combine, but 15 may be a little high for him. La'el Collins could be a pretty sweet guard or RT if he's there at 15 and there isn't a WR or defensive lineman we want. He could replace Iupati if Iupati is too pricey.

Willliams isn't going to fall out of top 5 Lael Collins is a good one. Her be very solid, and could play multiple positions on the line.
From CBS Prospect Overviews:

Shelton: "What makes Shelton unique is his effort in pursuit. It wasn't uncommon for Shelton to sprint to the sideline or 10-plus yards downfield to stop ballcarriers."

Goldman: "Though the junior again didn't post the kind of statistics (35 tackles, eight tackles for loss and four sacks in 13 regular-season starts) to attract a lot of hype, his steady development, proven versatility and NFL-ready frame make him one of the most intriguing defensive tackle prospects in the country."

Not sure Goldman sounds better than Shelton, other than he looks the part. Would like to see more productive career.
Stat wise it usually DL or OL, especially for blue chipper types....
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Shelton: "What makes Shelton unique is his effort in pursuit. It wasn't uncommon for Shelton to sprint to the sideline or 10-plus yards downfield to stop ballcarriers."

Goldman: "Though the junior again didn't post the kind of statistics (35 tackles, eight tackles for loss and four sacks in 13 regular-season starts) to attract a lot of hype, his steady development, proven versatility and NFL-ready frame make him one of the most intriguing defensive tackle prospects in the country."

Not sure Goldman sounds better than Shelton, other than he looks the part. Would like to see more productive career.

I read the CBS prospect overviews as well and it sounds like Shelton may have a higher floor but lower ceiling. It doesn't sound like he has the length or athleticism of Goldman or is expected to be as effective of a pass rusher in the pros. CBS has them rated #19 and #20 (Shelton is #19) currently, but I could see teams talking themselves out of getting Shelton if he doesn't perform well at the combine. Shelton may be the safer pick - he's a big body with a high motor, but Goldman has more physical tools that can be developed. Goldman was buried in the rotation at Florida State and hasn't developed as much.

Shelton:
WEAKNESSES: Not the pass rusher that his statistics indicate, showing little more than a standard bull-rush. Rarely incorporates spins or even swim moves into his repertoire.

Pad level rises as he tires and he can get knocked off the line of scrimmage when double-teamers coordinate their efforts and don't allow Shelton to split them. Needs to show greater awareness of cut blocks.

Tackle numbers are inflated by his hustling in pursuit. Weight needs to be held in check.

Despite his production indicating otherwise, Shelton is not a consistent pass rush threat. He's a classic two-gap run-plugger with the bulk and brute strength to bull-rush opponents into the backfield.

Goldman:
WEAKNESSES: Though quicker than he looks, Goldman isn't a consistent pass rush threat. His broad build makes it difficult for him to squeeze through gaps and he shows just phone-booth quickness. Generally needs a clear lane and collides with ballcarriers rather than exploding into them.

Still working on some of the finer details of position, including getting his hands up more often to knock down passes at the line of scrimmage and improved his recognition of cut-blocks. Surrounded by a lot of talent and was used as part of a rotation.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by shmuck:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Trae Waynes.

He has a very low floor as far as CB goes but by nature CB is a volatile position. That being said no pick is safe and anything can happen. That's why trading up and losing pick tends to be less effective then trading back and taking as many players as you can.

I'm kidding with the Trade Waynes pick though. Although I think he could be the best CB in this draft, I don't think he'd be a top 20 pick. One thing for sure is his 40 time, what will it be.
I read the CBS prospect overviews as well and it sounds like Shelton may have a higher floor but lower ceiling. It doesn't sound like he has the length or athleticism of Goldman or is expected to be as effective of a pass rusher in the pros. CBS has them rated #19 and #20 (Shelton is #19) currently, but I could see teams talking themselves out of getting Shelton if he doesn't perform well at the combine. Shelton may be the safer pick - he's a big body with a high motor, but Goldman has more physical tools that can be developed. Goldman was buried in the rotation at Florida State and hasn't developed as much.

Shelton:
WEAKNESSES: Not the pass rusher that his statistics indicate, showing little more than a standard bull-rush. Rarely incorporates spins or even swim moves into his repertoire.

Pad level rises as he tires and he can get knocked off the line of scrimmage when double-teamers coordinate their efforts and don't allow Shelton to split them. Needs to show greater awareness of cut blocks.

Tackle numbers are inflated by his hustling in pursuit. Weight needs to be held in check.

Despite his production indicating otherwise, Shelton is not a consistent pass rush threat. He's a classic two-gap run-plugger with the bulk and brute strength to bull-rush opponents into the backfield.

Goldman:
WEAKNESSES: Though quicker than he looks, Goldman isn't a consistent pass rush threat. His broad build makes it difficult for him to squeeze through gaps and he shows just phone-booth quickness. Generally needs a clear lane and collides with ballcarriers rather than exploding into them.

Still working on some of the finer details of position, including getting his hands up more often to knock down passes at the line of scrimmage and improved his recognition of cut-blocks. Surrounded by a lot of talent and was used as part of a rotation.

Most of the positives for Goldman are projected from his size and measurables...not production. The NFL has had plenty of guys who look the part, but Shelton has produced at a high level. I disagree about the ceiling...if Shelton has acheived what he has without any moves, other than a bull rush, the 9ers can definately help him develop.

But between the two of them, I'd rather have Kevin White!

Edit: one of the few times I've seen a player criticized for hustling! LOL! His production is skewed too high because of his hustle from sideline to sideline...that's bad?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 12, 2015 at 7:14 PM ]

Ur right.. I meant that we could draft. Williams is a top 5 pick
Melvin Gordon

Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
Melvin Gordon

Running backs actually have a pretty high failure rate.
Originally posted by shmuck:
Running backs actually have a pretty high failure rate.

The success rate of rushers with over 2,575 yards in one season is currently 100%
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Any position in the DRAFT would be better than shopping at THRIFT VILLAGE!!

Quit messing with these broken/injured players, Baalke (YOU DUMBASS)!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by LVJay:
Any position in the DRAFT would be better than shopping at THRIFT VILLAGE!!

Quit messing with these broken/injured players, Baalke (YOU DUMBASS)!!!!!!!!!!!

At least we have begun to get a ROI on the Carradine pick.
WR- Kevin White
Share 49ersWebzone