There are 235 users in the forums

Roster Needs & Priorities

I will say this although I do believe that we do need a speedy WR to get by the Seahawks, I also noticed what Kelvin Benjamin did to Sherman a couple times. The ability to out jump the 6'2 corner of the fly pattern is a nice thing to have. We could get that with a 6'6 DBG! also speedy receivers come in later rounds… Look at T.Y in the 3rd, and Desean in the 2nd. Also with Richardson from the seahawks in the 3rd. Get a true #1 in the 1st with DBG or Funchess, but i prefer DGB looks a lot like Moss at Marshall...
If you think DGB look's like Moss in College, then you never watched him play.

calling Randy Moss a freak is an understatement: A 6'4 guy who could run like TY Hilton. A prime Randy would let DGB get a 20-yard start in a 40 yard dash and still smoke him to the finish line. DGB isn't even fast so I am not sure where that comparison is coming from.

And as for Kelvin Benjamin, he is another freak. The guy is 6'4 and 245lbs of thick, solid mass. DGB looks like a tall, string bean compared to the 20lbs heavier KB.

You want a wide out who has quickness and can out-jump a DB? Kevin White is your man.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Jan 11, 2015 at 9:59 PM ]
Nice list of prospects at each position.

Agree with you for the most part on the order of priority as well. Solid early offseason analysis.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
yeah, because AJ Jenkins played so many snaps. LOL zero relevance to this discussion.

Do you think the only way to get a release off the line of scrimmage is to out-muscle your opponent? Have you heard of the slot, bunch formations, and scheming to get your wide outs clean releases?

You talk about issues getting off the LOS, but all of the wide outs you listed would have tons of trouble getting off good releases in our division. The bigger the body the more target area you give the physical DBs and play into their game.

This is how you beat the physical corners in the NFCW:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Wright-Torches-Sherman-For-A-38-Yard-Touchdown/dd244897-9ce3-43f1-87d2-4636493ef5d3

FYI: All of those guys are 4.4 and faster. Speed and quickness.

NO NO NO NO NO

You beat Seattle by shutting down their offense and playing ball control on offense.

Sherman initially got his fame from shutting down Calvin Johnson. Dez Bryant, Andre Johnson, Jordy Nelson, Jimmy Graham, and Julio Jones didn't do much against Sherman either.

But yet, KC and DAL beat them by running the ball!
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
yeah, because AJ Jenkins played so many snaps. LOL zero relevance to this discussion.

Do you think the only way to get a release off the line of scrimmage is to out-muscle your opponent? Have you heard of the slot, bunch formations, and scheming to get your wide outs clean releases?

You talk about issues getting off the LOS, but all of the wide outs you listed would have tons of trouble getting off good releases in our division. The bigger the body the more target area you give the physical DBs and play into their game.

This is how you beat the physical corners in the NFCW:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Wright-Torches-Sherman-For-A-38-Yard-Touchdown/dd244897-9ce3-43f1-87d2-4636493ef5d3

FYI: All of those guys are 4.4 and faster. Speed and quickness.

NO NO NO NO NO

You beat Seattle by shutting down their offense and playing ball control on offense.

Sherman initially got his fame from shutting down Calvin Johnson. Dez Bryant, Andre Johnson, Jordy Nelson, Jimmy Graham, and Julio Jones didn't do much against Sherman either.

But yet, KC and DAL beat them by running the ball!
yeah but the Giants IF they had a good defense would have beaten Seattle this year,because Odell Beckham was wearing Sherman OUT,like awavering flag in the Wind,Beckman is a speed guy with shifty and quickness,so yeah,we need a guy like White and Lockett,Lockett is Similiar to Beckham in the speed and s**tiness department ,very good router runner also would give sherman fits.
[ Edited by jrouter4949 on Jan 11, 2015 at 11:26 PM ]
We're fine on TE.

Vernon's lack of production was combination of his injury and incompetent offensive coaching staff in general.

Vernon's still got it just needs to be used better.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
We're fine on TE.

Vernon's lack of production was combination of his injury and incompetent offensive coaching staff in general.

I believe Kap would be better suited having a security blanket at TE than someone who might or might not break free a few times a game for big yardage. Carrier could be the guy.
Break down your thoughts on those CB's you like.

Shane Ray DE/OLB Missouri is my surprise 1st round pick.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
yeah but the Giants IF they had a good defense would have beaten Seattle this year,because Odell Beckham was wearing Sherman OUT,like awavering flag in the Wind,Beckman is a speed guy with shifty and quickness,so yeah,we need a guy like White and Lockett,Lockett is Similiar to Beckham in the speed and s**tiness department ,very good router runner also would give sherman fits.

Lockett is the exact guy I want from this draft. He fills multiple needs with his ability to kr/pr as well.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

You'll have to wait for my mock draft for that. Besides, I didn't want to write a book. It was long enough already But I will tell you that all these guys have some things in common: Physicality - they are all play a physical brand of football at the LOS. Bigger CB's: Except for Doran Grant (who really plays like he's 6-3), all of these CB's are on the bigger side to support their physicality. And Tackling: ALL are excellent in run support, are very willing tacklers, and will be of the more surest tackling CB's in the draft. They all fit the physical style of defense the 49ers play.

. . . .Oh yeah, I doubt very seriously that we draft a pass-rusher that high this season. While our pass rush wasn't were it should have been it's not among our more pressing needs.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
We're fine on TE.

I disagree. We should have applied the Walsh doctrine with him a season ago.
Quinton Dial confuses me. I don't think he's stout enough for the 0 technique or have the necessary pass rush skills for the 3 technique. Would he be better as a rotational player on the D line?
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

. . . .Oh yeah, I doubt very seriously that we draft a pass-rusher that high this season. While our pass rush wasn't were it should have been it's not among our more pressing needs.

Just got around to watching some tape on him and all I gotta say is Shane Ray is a BEAST. Never seen a pass rusher his size with so much quickness. He's explosive and has tons of moves. He'd be worth the pick.

I'd convert Aldon or Lynch to DE in a heartbeat to have this guy on the outside. I won't at all be surprised if he's the rookie defensive player of the year next year.

[ Edited by All22 on Jan 12, 2015 at 5:26 PM ]
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

Just got around to watching some tape on him and all I gotta say is Shane Ray is a BEAST. Never seen a pass rusher his size with so much quickness. He's explosive and has tons of moves. He'd be worth the pick.

I'd convert Aldon or Lynch to DE in a heartbeat to have this guy on the outside. I won't at all be surprised if he's the rookie defensive player of the year next year.

I saw tape on him as well, and loved it. But I doubt we even look for a pass-rusher for a first rounder. Just won't happen.
Share 49ersWebzone