LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Roster Needs & Priorities

While I think that this roster is perhaps the deepest, most talented in the game this season exposed a lot of weaknesses on it. To be sure, I really think that 1.) had there not been so many injuries, and 2.) had JH and Roman not tried to make Kaep into a pocket passer, we'd be pontificating on how fare this team would go into the playoffs. I mean, the players on our injury list could be another teams whole starting squad. I know of no team that could survive the injury onslaught we have had to endure. But neither was the case so we have to deal with that. I won't try to predict which way the FO will go with a coach. (Personally, I'm starting to warm up to the Shanahans, or Kyle as OC and Fangio as HC.) But I fully expect the FO to pay a king's ransom to keep the coaching staff intact, especially on defense. (To my knowledge there's no salary cap for coaches, but I could be wrong on that.) This season notwithstanding, I still think this team is close. As it stands we have 9 picks:

1. First round, #15
2. Second round, #46
3. Third round, #79
4. Fourth round, TBD
5. Fifth round, TBD
6. Sixth round, TBD
7. Sixth round, TBD (Compensatory)
8. Seventh round, TBD
9. Seventh round, TBD (Compensatory)

Now, before the 2014 draft I waffled back and forth on whether or not we'd draft all our picks. My first mind was that we would and then I changed it after the Bethae acquisition. This season I'm going to stick to my first thought and say we're gonna draft all our picks, if not pick up a few through trades. So below is a by position need and how I think we should handle it in the draft, but in no certain order. I'll keep that one for the annual pre-draft mock circus that I love participating in. And since this is not a mock any player I list will not have measurables, strengths & weaknesses, or pro & cons listed. I'll leave it to the reader to do their own research as I have. But the players I did pick reflects realistic expectations of availability to us.

Offense
QB – While I have been a major critic of JH and Roman's 2014 offensive philosophy, and think the decision to try and turn Kaep into something everyone knew he wasn't as the single most consequential decision that contributed to this team's 2014 collapse, I also think that Kaep is sorely lacking a serious competitor. JJ, and Crappert posed no threat at all to Kaep's position as the starting QB. Now, I don't know if that was by design, or if JH & Co. actually expect better competition at that position from the backups but just didn't get it. Whatever the case I think the backup at this position needs a major upgrade, an upgrade who'll seek to unseat Kaep, an upgrade that I think should be addressed in the draft no later than the 4th or 5th round, in fact a pocket passer with run ability. Here's a few names to chew on:
Garrett Grayson, Colorado State
Sean Mannion, Oregon State
Bo Wallace, Ole Miss
Cardel Jones, Ohio State

RB – This is an iffy position for me. If Frank returns (like I hope) them I really don't see a need to draft this position in the next draft unless a no-brainer falls to us in, say, the 5th, 6th or 7th. I just think this position is well spoken for, but we probably will draft a RB. A few names to look at:
T.J. Yeldon, Alabama
Dominique Brown, Louisville
Terrance Magee, LSU

FB – I cannot see us addressing this position in this draft at all. With Bruce Miller and Trey Millard on the roster drafting a FB will be senseless.

WR – This will be among the more controversial positions to fill in the 2015 draft for the 49ers. I think it's safe to assume that Boldin and Johnson will return. But we just don't have a WR on the roster with the ability to stretch the field combined with the ability muscle off the jam and kill 1-on-1 coverage. If there's any blind spot in Trent's roster building abilities it's at the WR spot. I think we need to address this spot early, 1st or 2nd. In fact, I'd say Trent should seriously think about getting two, one early, one mid to late. Names to think about:
Jaelen Strong, Arizona State
Devin Funchess, Michigan
Dorial Green-Beckham, Missouri

[Note]: Funchess is listed as a WR/TE. Personally, I think if we draft him it should be at WR. I think he can be taught better techniques as an NFL WR in the NFC West where his physicality and crazy receiving abilities can cause all kinds of mismatch nightmares for any opposing defense.

TE – The drop-off at this position really cost us. And I'm starting to think that maybe we've held onto Vernon Davis a year too long. And I just haven't seen enough out of Vance, Carrier, or Celek to be confident either of them can be a difference maker at this position. The starting TE position needs an upgrade, but not before the 3rd round:
Tyler Kroft, Rutgers
Jeff Heuerman, Ohio State
Wes Saxton, South Alabama

C – Don't see us addressing this position. But just in case:
Evan Boehm, Missouri

OG – Even though I think Iutati will probably be gone I still don't see this as a position that we should spend a high draft pick on. Brandon Thomas will be given every opportunity to claim the LG spot after Iupati is gone.
Adam Shead, Oklahoma
Aundrey Walker, Southern California

OT – Without injury I think we are pretty stable here. It's the backups that bother me most. All season the line had issues, starting with Alex Boone holding out. The way Trent has drafted the O-line it's clear he wants a more power running offense. But I think he really needs to get guys in here that can pass and run block at least at a decent level.
Jamon Brown, Louisville
Robby Havenstein, Wisconsin
Mitch Morse, Missouri

Defense

DT/DE – With Cowboy probably on his way out (though I think he should play one more) I think it's important to draft this position, and early too. Say, the 2nd or 3rd round. Tank looked decent in his stead, but competition at this position is in order:
Arik Armstead, Oregon
Owamagbe Odighizuwa, UCLA
Joey Mbu, Houston

NG – Don't think this position needs to be addressed in the draft, or free agency. We have three guys who all play the position pretty well.

OLB – Brooks probably won't be back. Aaron Lynch and Aldon Smith (if he can stay out of trouble) will be a very hard combo to handle. And with Skuta as the main backup I don't see Trent spending any high picks on an OLB, if at all. But we might not be able to keep Skuta so we might need to draft his replacement:
Xzavier Dickson, Alabama
Tony Washington, Oregon

ILB – I don't see this position as a need position at all. But we could lose Wilhoite and/or Moody.
Stephone Anthony, Clemson
Trey DePriest, Alabama

CB – I'm sorry folks, but I think it's time we draft high at this position. Cox, Cook, and Cully are all free agents. I cannot see all of them returning. Frankly, I'd like to see us use our first pick on CB, but I doubt that happen. There's a lot of starter potential depth at the middle and back-end of the upcoming draft. In any event, I'll be sorely disappointed if Baalke didn't come away with no less than two CB's this draft. Anything less would be a dereliction in my mind. And I don't think we should no longer be in the business of drafting anymore sub-6 foot CB's either unless they are a real talent.
Jalen Collins, LSU
P.J. Williams, Florida State
Alex Carter, Stanford
Doran Grant, Ohio State
Quinten Rollins, Miami (Ohio)
Ladarius Gunter, Miami
Cam Thomas, Western Kentucky (I really like this guy)
Josh Shaw, USC

SS – With Reid projected to be moved to SS in a few seasons I think we are set for the future there. But with Dahl as the primary backup, a serious liability in my mind, we have to draft for depth here.
Jaquiski Tartt, Samford
Karl Joseph, West Virginia
Ibraheim Campbell, Northwestern
Ronald Martin, LSU
Sam Carter, TCU

FS – I know that Jimmie Ward is projected to transition to the FA spot, and I know that we was injured for much of the season. But I have to say that I really wasn't all that impressed with what I saw of Ward when he was on the field. I'm not gonna go so far as to call him a bust, but he seemed pretty average to me and I cannot be the only one thinking this. At the very least we should draft for some competition here. Also, I am of the opinion that this defense really missed an intimidating presence in the defensive backfield. IMHO, getting rid of both our hard hitters was a mistake by JH/Baalke.
Kurtis Drummond, Michigan State
Durrell Eskridge, Syracuse
Adrian Amos, Penn State

Here's my position of need in order of priority:

1. WR
Let's please keep in mind the division we play in, a division full of large, physical corners that excel at re-routing WR's and jamming. Baalke needs understand that we need to get a big physical WR who can out physical NFC West corners, win at the LOS, get open, and get reasonable separation. Enough already with these possession guys who constantly get re-routed causing Kaep to hold on to the ball.

2. CB
As with the WR, we sorely need some physicality at the CB spot (and secondary). Again, we are facing the possibility of losing major pieces at this position, and I doubt that we're gonna be able to resign everyone. So we need to draft high here to force some competition with those that remain. A bigger physical press guy will be good here.

3. DE/DT
I honestly expect Cowboy to retire, but I hope to dear God I'm wrong. I liked what I saw out of Tank, but let's keep in mind that Ray Mac won't be back. So we need to draft high at this position. While Dial showed real promise I still see him as more a 0 to 3i technique guy. Sure, he can play the 4 or the 5 in spots, but not on a permanent basis. I think drafting a 3-4 DE here to compete with the very versatile TJE will go a long way to replacing Ray Mac.

4. TE
See the drop-off at this position and you'll have all the evidence you need.

5. QB
Gotta get a QB in here with the talent to push honestly Kaep. I like Kaep and think he's gonna bring this team its 6th SB. But I don't think JH & Co. did Kaep any favors by bring in backups that had no ability at all to actually push Kaep. Again, I don't know if that was by design or not. I'm just looking at the outcome. We cannot exit this draft without drafting a QB.

6. OT
See the depth at this position (Jonathan Martin).

7. FS
This is a guy to compete with Ward, at least push him. In 2016 we can draft a SS late to backup Reid.

8. RB
Even if Gore stays I still think it's a good idea to draft a RB this season. There's gonna be some really good talent hanging around even at this point. With (hopefully) Gore, Hyde, Hunter, and a rookie to groom for a three headed monster for 2016 we will be set for years to come at this position.

9. OLB
Only if Skuta isn't resigned. If Skuta is resigned then we go OG here.

I really don't see us drafting a NG, ILB, FB, C, and SS.

Thoughts?
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Jan 19, 2015 at 7:22 PM ]
Great work and read 9erliferinchicago.
"out-physical physical cornerbacks"
SMFH yeah, let's just keep banging our heads against a brick wall. maybe it'll come down one day.

and FYI - we tried that already. Anquan Boldin is one of the most physical wide receivers in the NFL and there's not many, if any, more physical than him.

we NEED WRs with speed and quickness.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Jan 11, 2015 at 5:15 PM ]
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Great work and read 9erliferinchicago.
Thanks Bro.
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
SMFH yeah, let's just keep banging our heads against a brick wall. maybe it'll come down one day.

and FYI - we tried that already. Anquan Boldin is one of the most physical wide receivers in the NFL and there's not many, if any, more physical than him.

See A.J. Jenkins. Speed and quickness means nothing if they cannot get off the LOS.
Nice work would.love to see you put some.names in your mock draft and I equally feel and round 1 pick of a cb would be great but with the cowboy possibly out dline may be the pick...plus Trent near goes cb early in the draft....love some of the highlighted chosen you pick ....looking forward to your next draft post
yeah, because AJ Jenkins played so many snaps. LOL zero relevance to this discussion.

Do you think the only way to get a release off the line of scrimmage is to out-muscle your opponent? Have you heard of the slot, bunch formations, and scheming to get your wide outs clean releases?

You talk about issues getting off the LOS, but all of the wide outs you listed would have tons of trouble getting off good releases in our division. The bigger the body the more target area you give the physical DBs and play into their game.

This is how you beat the physical corners in the NFCW:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Wright-Torches-Sherman-For-A-38-Yard-Touchdown/dd244897-9ce3-43f1-87d2-4636493ef5d3

FYI: All of those guys are 4.4 and faster. Speed and quickness.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Jan 11, 2015 at 5:38 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

See A.J. Jenkins. Speed and quickness means nothing if they cannot get off the LOS.
you do realize that there are other receivers out there that Are Not A.J.Jenkins right? We need fast speedy guys at wideout,someone who can take the top off defenses as well as run the full route-tree will quickness, ooh like a Lockett, K White, DGB.Phillip Dorsett, and maybe a Justin Hardy these guys have above average speed, sorry J Strong and D Parker are not those type of Guys.

you do realize that there are other receivers out there that Are Not A.J.Jenkins right? We need fast speedy guys at wideout,someone who can take the top off defenses as well as run the full route-tree will quickness, ooh like a Lockett, K White, DGB.Phillip Dorsett, and maybe a Justin Hardy these guys have above average speed, sorry J Strong and D Parker are not those type of Guys.

yeah, because AJ Jenkins played so many snaps. LOL zero relevance to this discussion.

Do you think the only way to get a release off the line of scrimmage is to out-muscle your opponent? Have you heard of the slot, bunch formations, and scheming to get your wide outs clean releases?

You talk about issues getting off the LOS, but all of the wide outs you listed would have tons of trouble getting off good releases in our division. The bigger the body the more target area you give the physical DBs and play into their game.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Wright-Torches-Sherman-For-A-38-Yard-Touchdown/dd244897-9ce3-43f1-87d2-4636493ef5d3

Your point is made and I agree no more big lumbering slow footed , cannot take it to the house at any given time Wideouts.

And do you think the only way to get a release off the line of scrimmage is to out-muscle your opponent? Have you heard of the slot, bunch formations, and scheming to get your wide outs clean releases?

sf_nicoya, you do realize that we don't run the offenses that Atlanta and the Colts run, right? So for me that argument equally lacks relevance. Those are pass-happy offenses that largely schemes their WR's open. Our offense is predicated on the WR being able to get themselves open. We have a run-first offense, and personnel. But when you have a WR corp full of possession WR's who cannot get open in man coverage, who often gets muscled into re-routes and have trouble fighting the jam, your offense will struggle. This is the biggest reason we got Boldin. He might not have speed or separation ability but he at least can get the fuk off the LOS and get open. But he's the only WR we have on the roster with those abilities. Why do you think teams consistently play us the way they do? It's isn't just because we don't have a deep threat. It's because we don't have a deep threat who can get off the damn LOS or beat 1-on-1 coverage.

And do you think the only way to get a release off the line of scrimmage is to out-muscle your opponent? Have you heard of the slot, bunch formations, and scheming to get your wide outs clean releases?

sf_nicoya, you do realize that we don't run the offenses that Atlanta and the Colts run, right? So for me that argument equally lacks relevance. Those are pass-happy offenses that largely schemes their WR's open. Our offense is predicated on the WR being able to get themselves open. We have a run-first offense, and personnel. But when you have a WR corp full of possession WR's who cannot get open in man coverage, who often gets muscled into re-routes and have trouble fighting the jam, your offense will struggle. This is the biggest reason we got Boldin. He might not have speed or separation ability but he at least can get the fuk off the LOS and get open. But he's the only WR we have on the roster with those abilities. Why do you think teams consistently play us the way they do? It's isn't just because we don't have a deep threat. It's because we don't have a deep threat who can get off the damn LOS or beat 1-on-1 coverage.
New Coach New tweaks,no more Lord Jim crappy offense.
Nice read and good info to think about, Thanks Shytownlife
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
I agree. There will be some changes offensively. I expect a smarter passing game to compliment a very strong run game. But I wouldn't expect a wholesale change in philosophy. Whoever the new coach is still gonna have a run-first personnel to contend with. And that means scheming within the roster. I think this is an area that JH and Roman made a mistake. They tried to force a scheme on a QB and O-line that didn't fit them.
Originally posted by highway49:
Nice read and good info to think about, Thanks Shytownlife
Thanks
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
I agree. There will be some changes offensively. I expect a smarter passing game to compliment a very strong run game. But I wouldn't expect a wholesale change in philosophy. Whoever the new coach is still gonna have a run-first personnel to contend with. And that means scheming within the roster. I think this is an area that JH and Roman made a mistake. They tried to force a scheme on a QB and O-line that didn't fit them.

you are correct,but to really open up the running game I think faster quicker wideouts will put and end to those 8-9 men boxes on defense and it will make the 9ers a really balanced team that can beat you either way,but preferably with the run.
Share 49ersWebzone