There are 219 users in the forums

Projected WR depth chart vs. rookie WR

Do the Niners need a WR at #15?

Assuming that Crabtree walks, the Niners are still going to have a lot of depth before FA and the draft.

Stevie Johnson
Anquan Boldin
Rookie WR?
Bruce Ellington
Quinton Patton

Assuming Cooper is gone, it is possible that White and Parker could be gone by 15 too. But even if they are still on the board, would they beat out Johnson and Boldin.

This draft seems pretty deep at big bodied WR. Maybe a better option is BPA at 15 and a couple of WR in later rounds.
I'd luv for us 2 take D.Parker at #15 if he's there if not im hoping for tha best D-lineman ..My dream draft would be us taken D.Parker at #15 then trading back up into tha 1st round for a D-lineman E.Goldman ... After that i could care less about tha rest of tha draft ....
Stevie Johnson and Boldin (and Crabtree) are WR2's at best. Cooper and Parker will probably be better than either of them as rookies especially since Boldin is only getting slower. Beckham Jr, Watkins, Evans, and Benjamin are all arguably better than any of our receivers so it sucks we didn't get one of them last season.You're right that we do have some depth assuming the team still thinks it has something in Ellington and Patton, so if we do draft a receiver, it will probably be early on. We can't keep stockpiling mediocre WR's who can't get on the field.

Green-Beckham and Funchess would both add a size component which we're missing at WR (Green-Beckham has speed too) and Coates and Montgomery have some speed and size (Coates in round 2 or Montgomery in rounds 2-3). Coates seems like the better deep threat of the two while Montgomery is used more on screens and is physically stronger. After them, the only one I could see us taking a flyer on is Devin Smith as a project/deep threat, but you never know. Dorsett may be interesting but I'd rather give Ellington a shot first.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Stevie Johnson and Boldin (and Crabtree) are WR2's at best. Cooper and Parker will probably be better than either of them as rookies especially since Boldin is only getting slower. Beckham Jr, Watkins, Evans, and Benjamin are all arguably better than any of our receivers so it sucks we didn't get one of them last season.You're right that we do have some depth assuming the team still thinks it has something in Ellington and Patton, so if we do draft a receiver, it will probably be early on. We can't keep stockpiling mediocre WR's who can't get on the field.

Green-Beckham and Funchess would both add a size component which we're missing at WR (Green-Beckham has speed too) and Coates and Montgomery have some speed and size (Coates in round 2 or Montgomery in rounds 2-3). Coates seems like the better deep threat of the two while Montgomery is used more on screens and is physically stronger. After them, the only one I could see us taking a flyer on is Devin Smith as a project/deep threat, but you never know. Dorsett may be interesting but I'd rather give Ellington a shot first.

Good points. Stevie Johnson was a #1 in the past, but they do need young talent. Im wondering if they have time to develop one of the mid round prospects as a diamond in the rough prospect.

If the Niners do take a WR at 15, it does give them time to develop a young potential #1.

Dorsett is MUCH faster the Ellington and,He can catch too.I think you need to look at Coates a little better,He is strong and physical to I think He is more muscular then Montgomery,
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
Would be awesome if we can grab 2 of the top 5 WR's this year. Kaep needs weapons.
Originally posted by Butter:

Assuming that Crabtree walks, the Niners are still going to have a lot of depth before FA and the draft.

Stevie Johnson
Anquan Boldin
Rookie WR?
Bruce Ellington
Quinton Patton

Assuming Cooper is gone, it is possible that White and Parker could be gone by 15 too. But even if they are still on the board, would they beat out Johnson and Boldin.

This draft seems pretty deep at big bodied WR. Maybe a better option is BPA at 15 and a couple of WR in later rounds.

I get your concern, but what happens the following year when Boldin is gone? I think you get your guy now, especially at our position in the 1st, and let him work with Boldin for a year, before he leaves.

Stevie Johnson
Anquan Boldin
Rookie WR?
Bruce Ellington
Quinton Patton

Anquan Boldin is older and his deal is up in a year. And although I am a huge fan of Bruce Ellington and Quinton Patton, unless we have legit starters in one of them, you have to take a receiver. I actually hope we take two. That will give us a group of young guys, mostly on rookie deals, and we can let play on the field dictate the depth chart. Kevin White and Phillip Dorsett in 2015 .
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Anquan Boldin is older and his deal is up in a year. And although I am a huge fan of Bruce Ellington and Quinton Patton, unless we have legit starters in one of them, you have to take a receiver. I actually hope we take two. That will give us a group of young guys, mostly on rookie deals, and we can let play on the field dictate the depth chart. Kevin White and Phillip Dorsett in 2015 .

Like the way you think!!!

Stevie Johnson
Anquan Boldin
Rookie WR?
Bruce Ellington
Quinton Patton

I love this plan

If I'm Baalke and Kevin White is sitting there at 15, I'm absolutely taking him. A bigger body WR with nice in game speed. This offense lacks a #1 WR and when Boldin leaves after next year, our lack of WR depth would be even more glaring. Outside Stevie, Patton and Ellington are complete unknowns. Rather get out guy early to begin developing him to take over the reigns when Boldin retires/leaves.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Jan 8, 2015 at 11:22 PM ]

Good points. Stevie Johnson was a #1 in the past, but they do need young talent. Im wondering if they have time to develop one of the mid round prospects as a diamond in the rough prospect.

If the Niners do take a WR at 15, it does give them time to develop a young potential #1.

Eh, aren't we still trying to develop Patton and Ellington?

Unless there's a can't miss beast DL prospect sitting there at 15, I think WR is our pick. Young WR with #1 starter potential becomes a big need especially after Boldin rides off into the sunset. White, Stevie, and one of Patton or Ellington panning out would be the makings of a pretty nice future core.

Stevie Johnson
Anquan Boldin
Rookie WR?
Bruce Ellington
Quinton Patton

I love this plan

I do as well! The team is likely to lose Crabtree (FA), Boldin (34) and Lloyd (33) by the end of next year. So that leaves Johnson (28), Patton (24), Ellington (23) and a couple of guys from the practice squad. That makes me very nervous now that the position has been less than dreadful! Adding a potential #1 receiver will only help raise the level of competition and push Patton and Ellington...who I still hope will be decent starters if need be. So...a group of Johnson, Ellington, Patton, White and Dorsett? Yeah, that looks really nice!
Share 49ersWebzone