LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 323 users in the forums

Eddie Goldman - DL - Florida State

I wouldn't mind this pick
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Maybe now that JSmith is gone, a d-lineman might be back on the docket (pun intended) like Eddie Goldman?

Interesting to see how a good team (New England) has drafted in the first round since 2000 when Belicheat took over:

OT
DT
TE
DT
DT
OG
RB
S
LB
S
OT
DE
DT... 8 out of 13 first-round picks have been linemen. 9 out of 13 were on defense.

Almost every year fans want to draft the next Dez Bryant, but the smart teams will be looking for the next Richard Seymour. I don't think Goldman is even close to that good, but after Leonard & Eddie, there's a black-diamond-like drop off in talent at DT IMO.

This is what jumps out to me. After the top 3 DT, it seems like there ie a massive drop off. Wr, Rb, Cb has some depth. Between Niners needs and availability, I think a strong case can be made for DT or #1 CB.
Originally posted by Butter:
This is what jumps out to me. After the top 3 DT, it seems like there ie a massive drop off. Wr, Rb, Cb has some depth. Between Niners needs and availability, I think a strong case can be made for DT or #1 CB.

There's solid depth throughout the draft but if the 49ers could take any 2 guys at DL, I'd love to see Shelton or Goldman and then later on in the draft, Henry Anderson of Stanford.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

There's solid depth throughout the draft but if the 49ers could take any 2 guys at DL, I'd love to see Shelton or Goldman and then later on in the draft, Henry Anderson of Stanford.

This is a fantastic year for the draft in terms of DL from top to bottom for me. The more players I review, the more I feel confident we should land a good potential successor to Justin Smith. Truly "replacing" him? Unless it's JJ Watt, I don't see that as possible at this point. But "succeeding" him as a starting caliber DL, we can do that.

So far, some of my favorites that I've evaluated would include Carl Davis, Anderson, Ray Drew, and Hardison.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
This is a fantastic year for the draft in terms of DL from top to bottom for me. The more players I review, the more I feel confident we should land a good potential successor to Justin Smith. Truly "replacing" him? Unless it's JJ Watt, I don't see that as possible at this point. But "succeeding" him as a starting caliber DL, we can do that.

So far, some of my favorites that I've evaluated would include Carl Davis, Anderson, Ray Drew, and Hardison.
Hardison is another that I like quite a bit!
Would love to pick this guy but now it's looking like CB just jumped to the front of their needs
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Good post. Thats pretty much how I feel about 3-4 DE.

To be more specific, I was thinking of NT. I know that a lot of fans are comfortable with the NT on the roster, but Id like to see a young upgrade.

I am waffling on the priority between NT/DT and CB. But I feel like the difference between CB at their 1st and 2nd pick will be closer than the drop off from Goldman to the next NT candidate.
Goldman ran a 5.12 at his pro day. Pro day times are hand timed compared to combine times which are hand start, electronic finish and are typically 0.1 seconds faster or so, but that's still pretty quick for a 336 pound NT. He looked pretty good in the position drills as well. He's in between Brown and Shelton in terms of athleticism and has the best length of the three (33 1/8", which isn't great, but Shelton has short arms at 32"). One cause for concern is that he only put up 19 reps of 225 weighing 336. He still has plenty of functional strength and I'm not a big believer in bench press as an absolute measure of strength, but it raises concerns about his work ethic that he can't bench more at his size.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2415828-strong-pro-day-cements-fsus-eddie-goldman-as-elite-dt-prospect
  • crew
  • Veteran

Anderson is "Cowboy II", Niners need to take him in 2nd Rd, won't be there at their 3rd Rd pick. He has the physical traits and motor to replace Justin.
Originally posted by crew:

Anderson is "Cowboy II", Niners need to take him in 2nd Rd, won't be there at their 3rd Rd pick. He has the physical traits and motor to replace Justin.

Wouldn't say I would "guarantee" he won't be there for our 3rd rounder, because there are a lot of talented players that could push him to that point -- you just never know. I'd say it's 50-50. The talent at other positions make it possible he could fall there, but a team really loving him could snag him before, so if you want to wait on the guy, it's quite a risk.

As far as Goldman goes, I'm not too concerned with that bench number. His game against Louisville showed all the power you need to see. He was reverse-pancaking the OL on seemingly half the snaps he took that day. Shows good ability to leverage himself and not be moved, while also displaying the quickness to shed and make some plays. He'll never be a feared NFL pass-rushing DT, but a run stuffer or a versatile 3-4 NT/DE, even at his large size? Certainly.

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Goldman ran a 5.12 at his pro day. Pro day times are hand timed compared to combine times which are hand start, electronic finish and are typically 0.1 seconds faster or so, but that's still pretty quick for a 336 pound NT. He looked pretty good in the position drills as well. He's in between Brown and Shelton in terms of athleticism and has the best length of the three (33 1/8", which isn't great, but Shelton has short arms at 32"). One cause for concern is that he only put up 19 reps of 225 weighing 336. He still has plenty of functional strength and I'm not a big believer in bench press as an absolute measure of strength, but it raises concerns about his work ethic that he can't bench more at his size.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2415828-strong-pro-day-cements-fsus-eddie-goldman-as-elite-dt-prospect

Carl Davis has more length that Goldman and ran a faster 40...I'm higher on Brown than Goldman and I'm a Noles fan.
Wouldn't say I would "guarantee" he won't be there for our 3rd rounder, because there are a lot of talented players that could push him to that point -- you just never know. I'd say it's 50-50. The talent at other positions make it possible he could fall there, but a team really loving him could snag him before, so if you want to wait on the guy, it's quite a risk.

As far as Goldman goes, I'm not too concerned with that bench number. His game against Louisville showed all the power you need to see. He was reverse-pancaking the OL on seemingly half the snaps he took that day. Shows good ability to leverage himself and not be moved, while also displaying the quickness to shed and make some plays. He'll never be a feared NFL pass-rushing DT, but a run stuffer or a versatile 3-4 NT/DE, even at his large size? Certainly.

Agreed with functional strength. He is a plug and play 34 NT and 43 DT. Great battle with John Miller, who I regard as one of the best OL in this class, in that game. Just as epic as the PJ Williams/ DeVante Parker matchup. Fun game to watch.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 1, 2015 at 8:00 AM ]
April Fools tag lines. Funny.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 1, 2015 at 8:05 AM ]
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 1, 2015 at 8:05 AM ]
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 1, 2015 at 8:04 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone