LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 208 users in the forums

Do we have a quarterback in our range who projects to better than Kaep?

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Or the one that Walsh ran. You clearly don't know what a gimmicky offense means. It's ok. I understand.

Lol wut
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Whoever it is, it's sure not Jameis Winston... LOL, dude is stinking it up against Ducks
Originally posted by IT21:
Or the one that Walsh ran. You clearly don't know what a gimmicky offense means. It's ok. I understand.

Lol wut

Not sure what you're not comprehending.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Been on the Bryce Petty bandwagon since last season. People knock his accuracy, but a guy who's put up 59 TDs to only 9 INTs the last 2 years, with a career 62% completion percentage, seems pretty damn accurate to me. Plus he has good enough mobility (20 career rushing TDs). Great character. Great teammate. Tough (cracked 2 bones in his back and only missed 1 game).

He's projected about the 3rd, but I could see him move up. He's a similar player to Blake Bortles. I wouldn't be upset if we grabbed him in the 2nd. I think we need to draft a QB early anyways (said it last year too). It provides competition for Kaep and insurance also.

Won't happen, but in my fantasy world, I wish we'd hire Art Briles (Baylor HC) as HC. His offense would help utilize all of Kaepernick's strengths. And having Petty as a backup would be an added bonus.

No! enough with college coaches. That's the only predetermined rule in our job seasrch. No more one trick multi gimmick college coaches.

I've already explained my reasoning. But what exactly is a gimmick offense? There's no such thing. It's just called football. But I understand, why you wouldn't want "another" college coach. Since the one we just had only had 49 wins, 3 NFCCG appearances, 1 Super Bowl appearance. That'd be horrible to have huh.

A gimmick offense, you know, like the one Harbaugh ran that barely worked until the league figured it out and shut it down.

Hahaha, it seems you are the one that's confused young one.
Been on the Bryce Petty bandwagon since last season. People knock his accuracy, but a guy who's put up 59 TDs to only 9 INTs the last 2 years, with a career 62% completion percentage, seems pretty damn accurate to me. Plus he has good enough mobility (20 career rushing TDs). Great character. Great teammate. Tough (cracked 2 bones in his back and only missed 1 game).

He's projected about the 3rd, but I could see him move up. He's a similar player to Blake Bortles. I wouldn't be upset if we grabbed him in the 2nd. I think we need to draft a QB early anyways (said it last year too). It provides competition for Kaep and insurance also.

Won't happen, but in my fantasy world, I wish we'd hire Art Briles (Baylor HC) as HC. His offense would help utilize all of Kaepernick's strengths. And having Petty as a backup would be an added bonus.

No! enough with college coaches. That's the only predetermined rule in our job seasrch. No more one trick multi gimmick college coaches.

I've already explained my reasoning. But what exactly is a gimmick offense? There's no such thing. It's just called football. But I understand, why you wouldn't want "another" college coach. Since the one we just had only had 49 wins, 3 NFCCG appearances, 1 Super Bowl appearance. That'd be horrible to have huh.

A gimmick offense, you know, like the one Harbaugh ran that barely worked until the league figured it out and shut it down.

Hahaha, it seems you are the one that's confused young one.

Young one? Go back to 70s/80s in your memory, grandpa. Walsh's offense was considered a gimmick offense until teams realized it couldn't be stopped. Now it's just commonplace. Football is about evolution. What's considered gimmicky is naive thinking. People say the read option was a gimmick, but Carolina and Seattle got to the playoffs still using it. Its an evolution of the run game.
Kap is the LAST person we need to worry about replacing! We do need a very strong back up behind him, so that he can play freely and be the weapon that he is.
Originally posted by KaptooCrab:
I think that wishing Kaep away much like Harbaugh will leave you wishing you hadnt! We May be able to bounce back from Harbaugh but to lose both would be back breaking. Be careful what you wish for.

I like Kaep but i want Superbowls. The question is can Kaep do it or is someone out there better
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Kap has his faults but I'd take him over a majority of starting QBs in this league. See what he does this year in a new system and hopeful some better weapons/ blocking and see how he does then we worry about 1st round QB. Ideally we need a legit backup a veteran who can push/ teach him but there aren't many of those guys out there. A 4th or lower rookie may not be idea either.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
No. Very lean year for QBs

It certainly appears so.

Quick question. If Hundley declares, what do you think of his stock and potential after his very mediocre year?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I think Gordon will be gone before we pick in the 2nd. Plus, imo, a backup QB is 1 play away from being more important than a RB. Look at the Cards, they have Ryan Lindley starting. I'd puke if that was us. Yet stud RBs can be found anywhere from 1st round-UDFA.

Yes and no. What I do know is Pete Carroll is definitely going to pick either Gurley or Gordon to replace Beast Mode when he is done, if we don't compete to land Gordon (I don't want to take another ACL risk with Gurley), I would be mega pis*ed if we had to go up against Gordon as a Seahawk.

Originally posted by Rascal:
I think Gordon will be gone before we pick in the 2nd. Plus, imo, a backup QB is 1 play away from being more important than a RB. Look at the Cards, they have Ryan Lindley starting. I'd puke if that was us. Yet stud RBs can be found anywhere from 1st round-UDFA.

Yes and no. What I do know is Pete Carroll is definitely going to pick either Gurley or Gordon to replace Beast Mode when he is done, if we don't compete to land Gordon (I don't want to take another ACL risk with Gurley), I would be mega pis*ed if we had to go up against Gordon as a Seahawk.

There's no guarantee Seattle takes Gordon or Gurley. They have Turbin and Michael. I could see Atlanta, Baltimore, Detroit, Jets, Tampa Bay all as viable landing spots for Gordon or Gurley.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good call!

Let's all remember that Kap wasn't considered the best, 2nd best or 3rd best QB in that draft.

Stories of Montana, Brady and other gems found in later rounds are few and far between BUT they still exist.

Wilson was a 3rd rounder right?

I believe so.

I recall how Gruden lit into Kiper when Kiper panned the pick.

Gruden said something to the effect that Wilson would be a fine NFL QB.
A little off topic because I don't watch enough college football to comment on prospects but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with Shanahan as HC and trade a draft pick for Cousins. Shanahan was doing a good job developing him before Gruden came him and set him back.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

There's no guarantee Seattle takes Gordon or Gurley. They have Turbin and Michael. I could see Atlanta, Baltimore, Detroit, Jets, Tampa Bay all as viable landing spots for Gordon or Gurley.

Of course I can't guarantee you 100%, but I just can't see Pete Carroll willing to pass up on either Gurley or Gordon. Turbin and Michael are not Beast Mode, they need a legit playmaking RB if they hope to get anywhere near in replacing Lynch.

Don't get me wrong, I want Petty too, but you have to look at the situation. First off, you have to look at how any teams will be needing QBs, Bucs, Titans, Jets, may be Bears, Rams, may be Browns, may be Saints and these are just the teams drafting before us. The question is how many QBs do you think we go before Petty ? Mariota, Winston and Hundley perhaps ? Even if you want to take Petty in the 2nd, I am not sure you can get him.

But, even if Petty was available in the 2nd, you will need to make a compromise to get him, may be give up a 1st round WR and take Gordon instead or give up Gordon and take say Duke Johnson in the 3rd if he is still available. Not an easy choice.
  • All22
  • Veteran

Of course I can't guarantee you 100%, but I just can't see Pete Carroll willing to pass up on either Gurley or Gordon. Turbin and Michael are not Beast Mode, they need a legit playmaking RB if they hope to get anywhere near in replacing Lynch.

Don't get me wrong, I want Petty too, but you have to look at the situation. First off, you have to look at how any teams will be needing QBs, Bucs, Titans, Jets, may be Bears, Rams, may be Browns, may be Saints and these are just the teams drafting before us. The question is how many QBs do you think we go before Petty ? Mariota, Winston and Hundley perhaps ? Even if you want to take Petty in the 2nd, I am not sure you can get him.

But, even if Petty was available in the 2nd, you will need to make a compromise to get him, may be give up a 1st round WR and take Gordon instead or give up Gordon and take say Duke Johnson in the 3rd if he is still available. Not an easy choice.

Unless Seattle trades up Gordon (and probably Gurley too) will be gone long before they pick. We simply can't stop them from taking a game-breaking back this year if they really want one. Telvin Coleman would dominate in their system too.
Share 49ersWebzone