LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 120 users in the forums

Do we have a quarterback in our range who projects to better than Kaep?

Here are a few Scouts Inc breakdowns for various QB's.

Brett Hundley.

Mental Makeup-3

Highly competitive. Adequate-to-above-average decision-maker. Still will make some questionable reads at times and force throws into coverage he shouldn't attempt but in general not careless with ball security. Shows flashes of mental aptitude post-snap to work through progressions. Showed improved internal clock in 2013 but still has room to improve. Should continue to grow in this area in his third season as a full-time starter. Adequate field awareness. Quickly recognizes pressure and knows where his hot reads/site adjustments are. Tough and willing to stand in and deliver throw in the face of pressure.

Accuracy-2

Improved mechanics from 2012 season. Better balance and hip rotation with delivery. Above-average tempo as a thrower. Very accurate at all three levels when able to throw with rhythm and timing. Has some room for improvement with touch, especially when having to change ball speed and projection over defenders' hands. Ball can also come out too flat when driving ball into cover-2 window down sideline. Above-average projection and placement with deep ball. Drives the ball and puts air underneath throw to allow receivers the ability to track and adjust if necessary.

Release/Arm Strength-2

More of a three-quarter release than over-the-top motion but gets it out quickly and tall enough to ease concerns about batted balls at the line of scrimmage. Throws a clean ball with plenty of RPMs. Arm strength is a notch below elite, and he can make all the necessary NFL throws. Has plenty of reserves in the tank to manufacture extra velocity with power throws into tight downfield windows.

Pocket Mobility-2

On one hand he is a deceiving athlete with very good size and strength to escape pressure and buy time. Not overly quick and gradually builds to top-end speed as runner. However, better mobility than anticipated on tape and poses enough of a threat to pick up chunk yards if not accounted for as a runner. On the flip side, he still has a lot of room for improvement working the pocket, which is the biggest concern from an evaluation standpoint heading into the 2014 season. Will get finicky when feeling pressure and must show better patience within the pocket. Often vacates pocket too early instead of sliding to open area and getting through progressions. Also has a bad habit of dropping his eyes and looking at the rush when evading pressure and will miss reads as a result. Interior pressure affects this issue more so than edge pressure. More comfortable climbing the pocket than having to slide laterally.

Sean Mannion

Mental Makeup-3

Will have four years under his belt operating a pro-style system, making pro-style reads, working from under center and with experience with his back to defenses off of play-action. Shows a strong grasp of defensive fronts and pre-snap coverages. Knows where he is protected and where his hot reads/site adjustments are. Flashes ability to work the entire field and get through progressions. Ball security has been an issue throughout his career so far (46 career INTs). Inconsistent decision-maker and takes too many risks into traffic. Must learn when to pick and choose when it comes to taking his shots. Has a tendency to stare down his targets and can do a better job of manipulating coverages with his eyes. Shows adequate poise/patience in the pocket but will occasionally fall away from throws under pressure and overall toughness will continue to be monitored in 2014.

Accuracy-2

Flashes natural accuracy as a passer. Most comfortable and accurate with intermediate throws outside the hashes and with vertical shots down the field. Shows very good touch and placement in this area. However, must improve mechanics and footwork to become more consistent in this area. Can do a better job of marrying his lower body with upper body and does not always deliver from a balanced platform. Falls away from throws at times and also exhibits too much forward lean on others, causing his lead leg to lock up. On the flip side, when throwing with proper tempo and balance he can be accurate at all three levels. Bottom line: Mannion has upside in this area if he can improve his lower-body mechanics heading into senior campaign.

Release/Arm Strength-2

Over-the-top delivery with a bit of a wind up to it. Gets it out with adequate quickness but has room to tighten it up. Batted balls aren't a concern due to height and high release point. Above-average arm strength. Can make all the NFL throws and has the ability to stretch the field vertically.

Pocket Mobility-4

Lacks ideal mobility and does not have the ability to escape and put stress on a defense with his legs. However, he's not completely without mobility, as he possesses adequate foot quickness to maneuver within the pocket. Adequate pocket awareness feeling pressure and sliding/climbing to buy time. Also does a nice job of keeping his feet downfield while avoiding the rush.

Bryce Petty

Mental Makeup-3

Displays a strong grasp of the Baylor's up-tempo spread offense. Makes quality decisions for the most part but will occasionally make throws he shouldn't, especially when feeling pressure. Generally asked to work half the field and will need time to get acclimated to pro-style reads and tighter throwing windows. Flashes the ability to work through progressions. Also flashes the ability to hold defenders with eyes and manipulate coverage with pump fakes. Adequate internal clock but can improve his feel for situational football. Shows the toughness to sit in the pocket and deliver a throw while taking a hit.

Accuracy-3

Often catches shotgun snap and bounces in place. Will need time adjusting to footwork from under center. Lower body mechanics are a work in progress. Feet are not always married to eyes. Does not always step to target and accuracy will suffer as a result. Needs to do a better job of transferring weight and finishing throws, as he forces receivers to adjust far too often which can limit YAC. On the other hand, shows good accuracy when throwing with tempo. Also flashes the ability to deliver a strike from an unbalanced platform. Has adequate accuracy with deep ball but can put more air underneath it to allow his receivers time to adjust. He must improve mechanics to have the necessary accuracy for the next level where the windows will be tighter and far less forgiving.

Release/Arm Strength-3

Three-quarters release that almost appears sidearm at times. Gets it out quickly and can change launch points to find throwing lanes. However, height and lower release point bring up concerns about batted balls at the line of scrimmage. Arm strength is average to slightly above-average. Can make most of the NFL throws. However, ball has a tendency to hang in the air with deeper out throws from the opposite hash. Average ability to stretch the field vertically and has to throw a flat ball in order to get the adequate distance.

Pocket Mobility-3

Above-average mobility and has the ability to escape pressure and extend plays on the perimeter. Not a dynamic runner but has the ability to move the chains if provided a seam. Average-to-slightly above average pocket awareness. Will be late feeling backside pressure but overall has an adequate feel for pressure and where to slide or climb in the pocket to buy time. Needs to show more consistency in keeping his eyes downfield when avoiding the rush.
let KAEPERNICK play his game UNLEASH THE KAEPERNICK
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. People will fall in love with guys like Mannion, but he's got some real limitations, Petty I think is even more limited, he put up big numbers in a gimmick offense, but so did RG3 in that same offense and he was a much better prospect. Then you have guys like Bo Wallace which just horrendous accuracy and decision making issues. Not really a fan of most of these guys. I like Mannion and Grayson outside of the top QB's.

As far as overall goes, I think Winston can easily be the best QB out of this draft and it isn't even close, He's a true pocket quarterback than has all the tools to excel but you just don't know what's going on upstairs, he's also the guy I'd pick to be most likely to implode and be out of the NFL in 3 seasons or less.

This....No QB's from gimmick offenses.....Draft a QB that ran a pro system in college.
[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Jan 1, 2015 at 2:08 PM ]
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. People will fall in love with guys like Mannion, but he's got some real limitations, Petty I think is even more limited, he put up big numbers in a gimmick offense, but so did RG3 in that same offense and he was a much better prospect. Then you have guys like Bo Wallace which just horrendous accuracy and decision making issues. Not really a fan of most of these guys. I like Mannion and Grayson outside of the top QB's.

As far as overall goes, I think Winston can easily be the best QB out of this draft and it isn't even close, He's a true pocket quarterback than has all the tools to excel but you just don't know what's going on upstairs, he's also the guy I'd pick to be most likely to implode and be out of the NFL in 3 seasons or less.

This....No QB's from gimmick offenses.....Draft a QB that ran a pro system in college.

95% (maybe more) of college QBs play in "gimmick" offenses. Spread, read option, air raid are all offenses used to stress and unnerve defenses. The days of teams running 1980s pro-style offenses is dead. Bill Walsh's WCO was considered a gimmick offense til it showed it worked. It's not a gimmick, it's evolution.
Hell no.
Originally posted by Rascal:
The answer is nobody knows, but is worth a try, it doesn't cost anything anyway. We just have to keep drafting QBs until we get it right.

I am not keen on the vet free agent route, one, there aren't many good ones and the better ones are going to be expensive, besides it will only be a stopgap measure anyway.

Good call!

Let's all remember that Kap wasn't considered the best, 2nd best or 3rd best QB in that draft.

Stories of Montana, Brady and other gems found in later rounds are few and far between BUT they still exist.
I don't see it. The one guy (Jameis Winston) won't fall to us. Even if he did, we don't need the potential of the off the field mess he brings.

I also believe we need to get a better QB behind Kap, but early it won't happen in this draft. We also need to add players to our offense. To neglect that to get a QB is reactionary based on Kap's struggles with an offensively inept coaching staff. Get him some playmakers at receiver and RB, install a real offense, and see where we are one year from now.
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:

One of the upsides of Mannion, played in a pro style offense, Grayson too. Mannion is a pretty good pocket quarterback, his throwing motion is a bit of a concern and while he has shown the ability to go through his progressions adequately, he really does tend to stare down his targets and make some really ill-advised throws.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Rascal:
The answer is nobody knows, but is worth a try, it doesn't cost anything anyway. We just have to keep drafting QBs until we get it right.

I am not keen on the vet free agent route, one, there aren't many good ones and the better ones are going to be expensive, besides it will only be a stopgap measure anyway.

Good call!

Let's all remember that Kap wasn't considered the best, 2nd best or 3rd best QB in that draft.

Stories of Montana, Brady and other gems found in later rounds are few and far between BUT they still exist.
This year's playoffs speak to that. 7 of the starting QBs were 1st rounders (Rodgers, Stafford, Newton, Manning, Roethlisberger, Luck, Flacco) and the other 5 are 2nd round-UDFA (Romo, Wilson, Lindley, Brady, Dalton). The draft is a crapshot, and being able to find a player that you can coach to be productive.
I think that wishing Kaep away much like Harbaugh will leave you wishing you hadnt! We May be able to bounce back from Harbaugh but to lose both would be back breaking. Be careful what you wish for.

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Been on the Bryce Petty bandwagon since last season. People knock his accuracy, but a guy who's put up 59 TDs to only 9 INTs the last 2 years, with a career 62% completion percentage, seems pretty damn accurate to me. Plus he has good enough mobility (20 career rushing TDs). Great character. Great teammate. Tough (cracked 2 bones in his back and only missed 1 game).

He's projected about the 3rd, but I could see him move up. He's a similar player to Blake Bortles. I wouldn't be upset if we grabbed him in the 2nd. I think we need to draft a QB early anyways (said it last year too). It provides competition for Kaep and insurance also.

Won't happen, but in my fantasy world, I wish we'd hire Art Briles (Baylor HC) as HC. His offense would help utilize all of Kaepernick's strengths. And having Petty as a backup would be an added bonus.

No! enough with college coaches. That's the only predetermined rule in our job seasrch. No more one trick multi gimmick college coaches.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good call!

Wilson was a 3rd rounder right?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Been on the Bryce Petty bandwagon since last season. People knock his accuracy, but a guy who's put up 59 TDs to only 9 INTs the last 2 years, with a career 62% completion percentage, seems pretty damn accurate to me. Plus he has good enough mobility (20 career rushing TDs). Great character. Great teammate. Tough (cracked 2 bones in his back and only missed 1 game).

He's projected about the 3rd, but I could see him move up. He's a similar player to Blake Bortles. I wouldn't be upset if we grabbed him in the 2nd. I think we need to draft a QB early anyways (said it last year too). It provides competition for Kaep and insurance also.

Won't happen, but in my fantasy world, I wish we'd hire Art Briles (Baylor HC) as HC. His offense would help utilize all of Kaepernick's strengths. And having Petty as a backup would be an added bonus.

No! enough with college coaches. That's the only predetermined rule in our job seasrch. No more one trick multi gimmick college coaches.

I've already explained my reasoning. But what exactly is a gimmick offense? There's no such thing. It's just called football. But I understand, why you wouldn't want "another" college coach. Since the one we just had only had 49 wins, 3 NFCCG appearances, 1 Super Bowl appearance. That'd be horrible to have huh.

I've already explained my reasoning. But what exactly is a gimmick offense? There's no such thing. It's just called football. But I understand, why you wouldn't want "another" college coach. Since the one we just had only had 49 wins, 3 NFCCG appearances, 1 Super Bowl appearance. That'd be horrible to have huh.

A gimmick offense, you know, like the one Harbaugh ran that barely worked until the league figured it out and shut it down.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

A gimmick offense, you know, like the one Harbaugh ran that barely worked until the league figured it out and shut it down.

Or the one that Walsh ran. You clearly don't know what a gimmicky offense means. It's ok. I understand.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Jan 1, 2015 at 5:13 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone