LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

Owamagbe Odighizuwa

First of all, the last name is pronounced (Oh-digyy-zoo-wa)

At 6'3 270lbs this guy sealed the outside edge in UCLA's 3-4 defense.
He has had some injury issues in the past which I believe has put him down in the rankings (aka a Baalke special)

Watching this kid play, I don't think I've seen any defensive lineman (his size) other than Aaron Donald and a couple others with his inital quickness off the line. There are some plays I am watching that am I sure he is going to get called for offsides.
I'm still waiting.

Provides consistent disruption from right defensive end position. Scouts love pass rushers with long arms and the 6-foot-3, 270-pound Odighizuwa has that trait, despite limited sack numbers. Combination of burst and power to beat tackles to the outside, and has shown good balance and agility to spin back inside.In the Bruins' versatile 3-4 base defense, his main responsibility is to seal the edge and play the run, using his length and power to occupy blockers to help plug run lanes and give the other rushers a chance to disrupt the pocket.

On some passing downs, Odighizuwa does stand up as an edge rusher and has a chance to show off his skill-set as a pass rush threat, using his natural bend and athleticism to beat blockers in space.

Can beat tackles inside with good initial quickness and a powerful bull rush. When moving inside, quickly slips past guards to pressure the backfield.

Seriously watch him off the line.

Here is a link: just fast forward to 1:30 and watch
http://draftbreakdown.com/video/owamagbe-odighizuwa-vs-virginia-2014/

He plays the role of unsung hero very well in this defense, is a constant disruption of that side of the ball
If he falls to the 3rd round he is a definite steal.
[ Edited by Quest4six on Jan 10, 2015 at 10:08 PM ]
Like that he's 3/4 something wrong with this thead I can't see the video
Bump.

Fixed this thread finally.
[ Edited by Quest4six on Jan 10, 2015 at 10:07 PM ]
I'm a UCLA fan, though I've missed some games in recent seasons.

Odighizuwa entered as a 5-star recruit out of Oregon. He has always been a physical specimen. However, I think he's had one or two season-ending injuries over his college career.

I guess one thing to keep an eye on is his projected role. Some UCLA fans thought that bulking up may have been a negative move for Odighizuwa because it slowed him down. His true potential may lie as a speedy big guy off the edge (Lynch) as opposed to a bulked up athletic guy (Tank). I don't have the answer, but I thought I'd point that out.
[ Edited by zonkers on Jan 19, 2015 at 8:59 AM ]
He does have some quickness off the line and has some long arms....do you see him as a DE though? I see him more as a OLB, but I'm no scout lol. When is he project to go?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
He does have some quickness off the line and has some long arms....do you see him as a DE though? I see him more as a OLB, but I'm no scout lol. When is he project to go?

After today he might be in the 2-3 round conversations, apparently he had a great day at senior bowl day.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seahawksdraftblog/2015/01/22/senior-bowl-day-three-notes/
We've said it a few times, but Odighizuwa is a terrific prospect. If the hip checks out — watch out. He has a frame to die for — genuine Ziggy Ansah style potential. He's not a natural edge rusher but he shows so much power dipping inside. If he's cleared medically, he could be a top-25 pick.

So in other words he is a Baalke special
Look forward to some of the commentators struggling with this name.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

After today he might be in the 2-3 round conversations, apparently he had a great day at senior bowl day.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seahawksdraftblog/2015/01/22/senior-bowl-day-three-notes/
We've said it a few times, but Odighizuwa is a terrific prospect. If the hip checks out — watch out. He has a frame to die for — genuine Ziggy Ansah style potential. He's not a natural edge rusher but he shows so much power dipping inside. If he's cleared medically, he could be a top-25 pick.

So in other words he is a Baalke special

Looks like Trent was spending a lot of time looking at pass rushers on day 2.

"From this viewer's perspective, it was interesting to see the 49ers GM watch the likes of Missouri outside linebacker Markus Golden, Arkansas defensive end Trey Flowers, UCLA defensive end Owamagbe Odighizuwa and many others. As many draft analysts have noted, the pass-rushing pool is quite deep in '15."

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Day-2-Observations-from-2015-Senior-Bowl/06322deb-8ec2-467c-8e94-a0622e4e962d?adbid=10152530766846875&adbpl=fb&adbpr=112852666874&campaign=social_20150122_39189357
I'm wanting to bump this.
I'm doing a mock and I think it might be possible to take this guy in the second.

Any UCLA fans out there? I'm trying to figure out whether he is a OLB or DE in our system. It looks like he can play both which is amazing to me....

• 9moon
  • Veteran
I wouldnt be surprise if this guy ends up being drafted in late 1st round.. motor does not stop!!
Ran a 4.64 40 at 6'3 267 with long arms (33 3/4"). Not far off Dante Fowler, but I don't know if he's quite the overall athlete.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Ran a 4.64 40 at 6'3 267 with long arms (33 3/4"). Not far off Dante Fowler, but I don't know if he's quite the overall athlete.

Mayock said more of a 5 tech than a OLB
According to ChrisPozz (he's as legit as it gets), a few teams red-flagged Owamagbe Odighizuwa for "bad" medicals.

I personally think the team doctors are just lazy & don't want to fill that name out on any paperwork going forward.
Gesundheit!
Share 49ersWebzone