There are 215 users in the forums

Maxx Williams TE Minnesota

Originally posted by DeUh:
Tyler Mason (Minnesota Twins and Gophers football/basketball writer)

Gophers TE Maxx Williams said the NFL Draft Advisory Board told him he probably wouldn't be picked in the first two rounds.

Great news for the Niners lol
I'd be very very surprised if he is on the board in the third round.

Gophers TE Maxx Williams said the NFL Draft Advisory Board told him he probably wouldn't be picked in the first two rounds.

They're smoking crack. With a good offseason I can see him move up into the late 1st round, maybe even earlier. He will likely be overdrafted because the TE class is pretty weak this year. Smart move on his part as he's really alone as the #1 TE.
Originally posted by saniner:
He comes out early as a redshirt sophomore. IMO he is easily the number 1 TE in a weak year. He didn't put up big numbers mainly Diego poor QB play but he is a big athletic receiving TE. He should be an early 2nd round pick

If whoever the new coach is likes 2 TE sets and VD is traded and or cut during the offseason, it would make sense to trade down a few times and add a guy like Williams. I don't see any other TE in this draft making as big of an impact as he would early on.
As much as I hate to say it I think he'd be perfect for the Seahawks. That's why I hope he puts on a great show at the combine and goes high in the first.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

They're smoking crack. With a good offseason I can see him move up into the late 1st round, maybe even earlier. He will likely be overdrafted because the TE class is pretty weak this year. Smart move on his part as he's really alone as the #1 TE.

Okay so maybe I'm missing something here, but I've seen every U of MN game (graduated from there), and he's a good player, but not a great player. With his frame and size, I highly doubt he's runs sub 4.8. And based on recent drafts at the TE spot, 1st rounders have usually run a ~4.6 40 time.

I could see him rise up to the early-mid 2nd round, but I just can't see him go in the 1st round...even with a weak stock at the position.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If whoever the new coach is likes 2 TE sets and VD is traded and or cut during the offseason, it would make sense to trade down a few times and add a guy like Williams. I don't see any other TE in this draft making as big of an impact as he would early on.

I saw in a more recent article that Williams stated that he was given a second round grade, which makes much more sense.

Williams blocked a LOT at Minnesota, and I believe that will help him more than some Flex TEs who rarely, if ever, block.
Share 49ersWebzone