LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 163 users in the forums

hjkl

Smith is not even listed as a starter on OSU's depth chart. He is simply a long ball threat, but without height. I don't see much in the NFL. Sorry. I wouldn't take him before the 7th round.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
High jumps 7 feet. Long jumps nearly 25 feet. 10.5 100m. Good size. You just watch the guy move, you can tell he's a great athlete. As a football athlete he reminds me of terry Glenn. Throw in some taller version of Steve smith, also. Even a little Mel gray. Totally legit athlete, but as a NFL player? Who knows. Up to him, but he has the tools--no question.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Smith is not even listed as a starter on OSU's depth chart. He is simply a long ball threat, but without height. I don't see much in the NFL. Sorry. I wouldn't take him before the 7th round.

Hey MadDog, Which wide outs do you feel best fit our system and would be worthy of an early pick ?, and also the same question regarding potential picks for Alex Smith, Andy Reid and KC. I would really appreciate your input. Thanks.
Originally posted by JohnMatrix:
I'm starting to love this guy.

Me too. Reminds me a bit of DeSean Jackson. If he is still around in the mid-rounds, I would take him. My number 1 pick would be Jaelen Strong though.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Jan 5, 2015 at 11:58 AM ]
Originally posted by thetruthhurts:
Hey MadDog, Which wide outs do you feel best fit our system and would be worthy of an early pick ?, and also the same question regarding potential picks for Alex Smith, Andy Reid and KC. I would really appreciate your input. Thanks.

The first two guys off the board completely make sense for the Niners- Cooper is ready to play right now. And, yet, I see a higher ceiling for Parker, who will need longer to make a dramatic breakthrough, but whose measurable will be off the charts. Cooper is reliable, and very good; Parker is a potential superstar.

Not as high on White as many others. See some flaws/concerns that bother me at the next level. I like Strong better than White. DGB is far too risky as a 1st round pick, but the talent is undeniable. I hope his family, and Dorian himself, can shake the demons of his past. Reminds me a bit of the deceased Chris Henry. So much talent, but can he get his act together.

I have to be honest. I think Tyler Lockett is a star waiting for a creative OC, and an accurate QB. He is simply a great football player, and although his size is a concern for sure, a lot of teams are going to kick themselves for passing on him. This guy is a guy that will fight for every yard, lay himself out for catches, do everything a team needs to win. He is a winner.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 5, 2015 at 7:34 PM ]
Another note on Devon Smith. His invitation to the East-West Shrine game gives an indication of where scouts/evaluators/coaches/analysts think he will be drafted. The Shrine game is really stacked with mid-late 3rd day draftee prospects at best.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Another note on Devon Smith. His invitation to the East-West Shrine game gives an indication of where scouts/evaluators/coaches/analysts think he will be drafted. The Shrine game is really stacked with mid-late 3rd day draftee prospects at best.

?

He also received and accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl.

Devin Smith Accepts Senior Bowl Invite

Smith on Monday accepted an invitation to play in the Senior Bowl, the most prestigious of the postseason All-Star games, in Mobile, Ala. He still has one college game left to play, the Jan. 12 national championship game between Ohio State and Oregon.

Smith's 15 touchdown receptions of 40 yards or more are the most among active college football players at the FBS level.

http://www.foxsports.com/ohio/story/ohio-state-buckeyes-devin-smith-senior-bowl-invite-010515
[ Edited by DeUh on Jan 6, 2015 at 2:12 AM ]
Originally posted by DeUh:
?

He also received and accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl.

Devin Smith Accepts Senior Bowl Invite

Smith on Monday accepted an invitation to play in the Senior Bowl, the most prestigious of the postseason All-Star games, in Mobile, Ala. He still has one college game left to play, the Jan. 12 national championship game between Ohio State and Oregon.

Smith's 15 touchdown receptions of 40 yards or more are the most among active college football players at the FBS level.

http://www.foxsports.com/ohio/story/ohio-state-buckeyes-devin-smith-senior-bowl-invite-010515

Interesting. He is listed as player 89 on the Shrine Game roster. Maybe one of the Senior Bowl WRs backed out due to injury. They may also have flipped him out of the Shrine Game because the National Championship Game on the 12th is also the first day of Shrine practices.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 6, 2015 at 10:15 AM ]
Should have read the article before my last post. He replaces an injured Utah WR.

The first two guys off the board completely make sense for the Niners- Cooper is ready to play right now. And, yet, I see a higher ceiling for Parker, who will need longer to make a dramatic breakthrough, but whose measurable will be off the charts. Cooper is reliable, and very good; Parker is a potential superstar.

Not as high on White as many others. See some flaws/concerns that bother me at the next level. I like Strong better than White. DGB is far too risky as a 1st round pick, but the talent is undeniable. I hope his family, and Dorian himself, can shake the demons of his past. Reminds me a bit of the deceased Chris Henry. So much talent, but can he get his act together.

I have to be honest. I think Tyler Lockett is a star waiting for a creative OC, and an accurate QB. He is simply a great football player, and although his size is a concern for sure, a lot of teams are going to kick themselves for passing on him. This guy is a guy that will fight for every yard, lay himself out for catches, do everything a team needs to win. He is a winner.

MadDog, Thanks for the input, very much appreciated. Which wide outs fit the sleeper mode in your opinion ? small school guys or receivers stuck with poor QB,s. I remember when people were talking about Antonio Brown, Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson etc before those drafts as sleepers and look at them now. In fact I believe Antonio Brown went in the 5th round, but I may be mistaken. Thanks for taking the time.

MadDog, Also curious as to your thoughts on Agholor, Montgomery, and Funchess. What round would you take a chance on DGB? Thanks.
If the round is right (3rd-5th) and we haven't addressed the need for a deep threat yet I wound be all for it. He sure was impressive against Bama.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Jan 6, 2015 at 3:53 PM ]
Dan Kadar ‏@MockingTheDraft
Devin Smith of Ohio State: 6003, (aka 6'0 3/8) and 190.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
[ Edited by DeUh on Dec 22, 2015 at 12:54 AM ]
Originally posted by DeUh:
Highlight Tape

Nice. His speed would be a great fit with Kaepernick's arm
Share 49ersWebzone