There are 202 users in the forums

Derron Smith

What you guys think? He's the next best thing that there is to Earl Thomas' ballhawking abilities.

We may not have Eric Reid for much longer and we really don't know what we're getting with Jimmie Ward at safety. And if Jimmie pans out we might have two ballhawking safeties that will allow our corners to play more press 1 on 1 coverage.

Why want we have Eric Ried for much longer?
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Why want we have Eric Ried for much longer?

Multiple concusion's have become a concern.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd love to have Derron Smith as a 9er, but I think he'll be gone by the 2nd round. I was thinking the 9ers draft a Safety more in the 3rd-5th rounds, maybe Ronald Martin (LSU) or Isaiah Johnson (GT) will be there, I doubt they'll pull off a fast 40 at the Combine.
Wow he looks great in those highlights! There's no way he makes it out of the second round, but trading up from the second might be worth it. Eric Reid does concern me a little and while I think Ward will pan out, Bethea won't be around forever
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Multiple concusion's have become a concern.

He had two concussions early on his rookie season because he was using improper form.

Since then he's gone a season and a half before having another one which was pretty much coincidental, similar to the one Gore suffered as well. It's something worth keeping an eye on but I don't see any real reason to get overly dramatic at this point.

That said, depth at safety is certainly important. Dahl is a very nice special teams contributor, he's done a good job there but I swear I see storm clouds start hanging over the playing field anytime he plays extended snaps on defense. So I think adding a guy in the middle rounds to add depth is crucial.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 26, 2014 at 7:36 PM ]

Earl Thomas can tackle.....
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Earl Thomas can tackle.....

In fairness, he's had 2 years to improve on that game. Has he improved?

And btw for all the complaining about Ward at least he can tackle
Share 49ersWebzone