There are 186 users in the forums

Glory's 2015 Mock draft and offseason

The Houstan signing is unnecessary and won't happen. Why would you bench Lynch???

And ILB in the 2nd round????????????? (We don't even need one)

And why wouldn't we resign Culliver? He played well this year and it's not like he's going to be expensive to resign.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Anyone watching this season's offensive disaster can't abide drafting defensive players with its first three selections.

This. It's a nice draft, but still leaves us relatively weak on offense.

Sorry - Our offense is a total disaster and we need a makeover.
We need a true #1 reciever!!!!! no more trading down
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Anyone watching this season's offensive disaster can't abide drafting defensive players with its first three selections.

That's what I'm saying. Why are you saying sorry?
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
If we lose Harbaugh I say we make a run for Notre Dame's Bryan Kelly. Don't know much about him but from Yahoo Sports:

Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly — A source told Shutdown Corner this season that multiple NFL teams have checked in on the status of Kelly, who has rebuilt the Irish program into a pro-style operation and who carries strong cred with teams in the league as both a quarterback savant and a man who can handle the pressure of being the head figure of an NFL club. His head coaching win percentage of 73.5 at Grand Valley State, Central Michigan, Cincinnati and Notre Dame, including a 12-1 campaign and a title-game appearance two seasons ago in South Bend show that the man just wins.

Player transactions:

Waive/Release/Don't Resign:

Michael Crabtree
Mike Iupati
Chris Culliver
Blaine Gabbert
Brandon Lloyd
Vernon Davis
Ahmad Brooks
Kevin Wilhoite

Resign:

Justin Smith
Frank Gore
Perrish Cox

Free Agent additions:

Justin Houston, OLB
Brian Hoyer, QB
Larry Donnell, TE
Jermaine Gresham, TE

Draft:

Round 1: Jordan Phillips, 6'6, 330, DE, Oklahoma -- superb explosive athletic disruptor of a DE -- heir apparent to Mr. Justin Smith (sorry Tank -- you will replace RayMac in 2016)
Round 1: Derron Smith, 5'11, 200, FS, Fresno -- maybe acquired with a trade of Harbaugh and/or we sacrifice next year's 1st rounder? He'll be our Earl Thomas heat seaking missile of a safety as we really don't know what to expect next season with Eric Reid and Jimmie Ward. He's a tremendous BALL HAWK.
Round 2: Denzel Perryman, 6'1, 240, ILB, Miami -- heir apparent to Mr. Patrick Willis; more of a BPA pick here
Round 3: Ty Montgomery, 6'2, 215, BPA pick -- we need speed on offense
Round 4: Jake Fisher, 6'6, 300, OT, Oregon -- we need to start thinking about Staley's replacement
Round 5: Shane Carden, 6'2, 220, QB, Efficient and very good QB who could be a sleeper; in any event he'll work hard behind Kapernkius and Hoyer
Round 6: Sacrificed to get the 2nd 1st rounder above
Round 7: Sacrificed to get the 2nd 1st rounder above

Projected depth chart:

QB: Kaepernick - Hoyer - Carden
RB: Gore - Hyde - Hunter
FB: Miller - Millard
WR1: Boldin - Patton - Montgomery
WR2: Johnson - Ellington - Montgomery
TE: Gresham - Donnell - McDonald
LT: Staley - Fisher
LG: Thomas - Martin
C: Kilgore - Martin
RG: Boone - Martin
RT: Davis - Fisher

DE: Phillips - Jerrod Eddie - Dial
NT: Williams - Dorsey - Dial
DE: Smith - Carradine - Dial
OLB: Smith - Lynch
ILB: Willis - Borland
ILB: Bowman - Perryman
OLB: Houston - Lynch
CB: Brock - Johnson - Acker
CB: Cox - Johnson - Reaser
SS: Antoine Bethea - Eric Reid
FS: Derron Smith - Jimmie Ward

KR: Montgomery
PR: Montgomery

P: Spencer Roth - UFA (rookie, Baylor)
K: Dawson or whomever
LS: Nelson?

Unrealistic? Probably so if we're trying to get Justin Houston and that second 1st round pick to select Derron Smith. But man -- I don't think we can trust just Lynch and Aldon manning the OLB spots. Houston would be a HUGE addition. And if we get Perryman in the draft you're going to have 6 players (Aldon, Patrick, Aaron, Navorro, Justin, and Denzel) that can just get to the QB with speed. Derron Smith would complete our secondary as the ridiculous ball hawk that he is.

As for the offense I think the key will be the two free agent tight end acquisitions in Gresham and Donnell. Both are great at both receiving AND BLOCKING. And with Vance coming back strong (hopefully) we'll have a much bigger red zone impact. As for the receivers Boldin should be Boldin and SJ will be better if he's healed up 100%. And we'll definitely be using Patton, Ellington and newcomer Montgomery to the best of their abilities. And Montgomery will be our starting returner unless he immediately supplants Ellington and Patton for the #3 WR role.

With this collection of players I predict our defense will finish #2 in total defense, #2 in total points allowed, #1 in sacks, and top three in interceptions.
I predict our offense will finish #7 in total offense, #8 in total points scored.

Predicted record: 12-4

No Jermaine Gresham no no no He is Sorry.
I would like to see Sammie Coates drafted by us. There are reports of him running in the 4.3s at 6-1/6-2. We could also take Jaelen Strong or Beckham-Green for sheer size and red zone threat. I believe Ellington will contribute more in 2015 and his quickness can create match up problems. We'll need to retool our TE if Vernon is not resigned. I like Donnell as a replacement. I like the idea of drafting Perryman to add to our beastly ILB mix as an eventual possible replacement for Willis. I like the rotation of A Smith, A Lynch, and Ahmad Brooks (he'd have to be willing to restructure) J Houston would be amazingly awesome however identically unrealistic (cap wise) so we'll need a FA or Draft to shore that up if Brooks is unresponsive. We need to address the G position maybe a versatile lineman that can play C as well as both G's. Our starting T's are set for the near future. The S position is also very stable but we could continue to try to upgrade or at least create competition.
I like Montgomery, but no way he's there in the 3rd imo. Late 2nd round maybe but probably sooner
[ Edited by LZRD_WZRD on Dec 21, 2014 at 8:16 PM ]
No way Justin Houston happens, he will get franchised, KC won't allow him to test FA out. Plus I don't think the team wants to pay two OLBs in the $55-$60 million range over 5-6 years, especially in the same year. I rather keep Aldon as we have leverage over him IMO.
Awful awful mock and thank god you aren't the GM. You d have this team in the toilet faster than the extra spicy bowl of pho I just had.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

That's what I'm saying. Why are you saying sorry?

How is this going to be helped by the draft? We all see what our o-line can do (Sea and SD first halves :O). And we have Brandon Thomas coming back next season 100% hopefully to replace Iupati.

It's a matter of coaching, scheme, and production at the QB spot. The draft isn't going to change this unless we drop Kaep. Same with F/A. And we're already making a coaching change here.

I'm guessing most people want that prototypical 6'3+ athletic receiver with glood speed, jumping, and a huge catching radius. I do too, and almost went with Jaelen Strong at our projected draft position.

Originally posted by sf1974:
I would like to see Sammie Coates drafted by us. There are reports of him running in the 4.3s at 6-1/6-2. We could also take Jaelen Strong or Beckham-Green for sheer size and red zone threat. I believe Ellington will contribute more in 2015 and his quickness can create match up problems. We'll need to retool our TE if Vernon is not resigned. I like Donnell as a replacement. I like the idea of drafting Perryman to add to our beastly ILB mix as an eventual possible replacement for Willis. I like the rotation of A Smith, A Lynch, and Ahmad Brooks (he'd have to be willing to restructure) J Houston would be amazingly awesome however identically unrealistic (cap wise) so we'll need a FA or Draft to shore that up if Brooks is unresponsive. We need to address the G position maybe a versatile lineman that can play C as well as both G's. Our starting T's are set for the near future. The S position is also very stable but we could continue to try to upgrade or at least create competition.

Who knows what's up with Aldon Smith AND Eric Reid now. They may both not be on the team next season. Yeah -- Houston's a pipe dream unless maybe perhaps he's not franchised as AB predicts.

I'm thinking we're good at guard with Brandon Thomas and Alex Boone but yeah you're right, we're pretty set at tackle, so maybe we look for a G instead of a T.
Originally posted by Diaperfan:
Awful awful mock and thank god you aren't the GM. You d have this team in the toilet faster than the extra spicy bowl of pho I just had.

Damn -- sounds like can't you stomach greatness whether it's in yo tummy or on a big board :P
You lost me at wanting Brian Kelly.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by sf1974:

Who knows what's up with Aldon Smith AND Eric Reid now. They may both not be on the team next season. Yeah -- Houston's a pipe dream unless maybe perhaps he's not franchised as AB predicts.

I'm thinking we're good at guard with Brandon Thomas and Alex Boone but yeah you're right, we're pretty set at tackle, so maybe we look for a G instead of a T.

WHAT??? Aldon has been franchised so he will be there and I could see a extension in the off-season to lower the cap. Where is Reid going???? I'm all for a young backup safety because Dahl is awful, but come on man!

They have ZERO cap room to work with even when you cut those players they still have dead money that goes towards the cap....Houston makes no sense at all, and the issues are on offense not defense. I do like Clay as a TE FA he can play HB, WR, TE and shouldn't cost a lot.
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
The Houstan signing is unnecessary and won't happen. Why would you bench Lynch???

And ILB in the 2nd round????????????? (We don't even need one)

And why wouldn't we resign Culliver? He played well this year and it's not like he's going to be expensive to resign.

Are you serious? B/c Houston is a way better player. No way in the world will they be able to sign Houston. He's gonna be looking for top tier OLB money with all the sacks he's had
Share 49ersWebzone