LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 209 users in the forums

Quest4six's January mock version 2

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
That's a very ambitious off-season forecast...I like a lot of it, but have a couple questions:

- Do you really think Torrey Smith can be had for $22M for 4 yrs. I don't...he's a HR hitter who's continually improved to be one of Flacco's go-to guys. Ravens will offer him considerably more than $22M, IMHO.

- Fairley, I don't know that 4 yrs, $25M would get him, either.

If I'm right (I think I am), we don't get either of those guys in FA. Would I love to see them in crimson & gold, absolutely, I just don't see it happening for those prices. I get we need a WR and a DL...but I'm thinking Baalke drafts them. 1st rd, he goes for the best DL on the board and at #15 that would be Eddie Goldman. He might take a WR in rd 2...maybe Devin Smith or D G-B.

I don't get OG in rd 2. What makes you think Boone's going anywhere? Granted he wasn't as good in 2014, but believe his holdout had a lot to do with that. Tomsula also has M. Martin, Brandon Thomas. Think the bigger need is a swing OT, but not that early (but well before rd 7). J. Martin's gotta go.

Like the TE and CB picks...think we all hope Vernon will rebound to his pre-2014 form, but there's not much receiving talent behind him. You can never have too many good CB's.

It is pretty ambitious for those FA.
I hope Baalke goes for them, I realize they are pretty ambitious and not likely but if I was the GM I'd for them. Also, as far as the funds, thats what I have guaranteed not included signing bonuses or other things.
So Torrey Smith's base salary is 5.5 million a year
And Fairley's is 6.25 million per year

Smith we would probably have to include some incentives and other things. But as far as Fairley I think thats a reasonable number given his past occurrences with violating team rules and injuries.
Not to mention if we change to a 4-3 and we get Schwartz, it would be a no-brainer to me.

Boone did holdout on us for awhile in the beginning of the season. Also, if he continues his trend from last year our offensive line will be horrible again.
In my mock, if we don't draft a guard then that means Brandon Thomas or Joe Looney will start. I don't know about you but I wasn't impressed with Looney at all and Thomas is an unproven rookie a year removed from college football.
I think Cann is a lot like Marcus Martin, a big, powerful, and athletic guy who can show up on the line and make an impact right away
  • All22
  • Veteran
I highly doubt we don't take an RB, pass-rusher, or All-ACL Team player. That's just not Baalke's style.

Also I love Shaq Thompson but he'd be buried in our depth chart. Best case scenario would be he takes over at SS after Bethea leaves/retires but then that puts Ward in an awkward position... so I can't see Thompson as our pick.
Originally posted by All22:
I highly doubt we don't take an RB, pass-rusher, or All-ACL Team player. That's just not Baalke's style.

Also I love Shaq Thompson but he'd be buried in our depth chart. Best case scenario would be he takes over at SS after Bethea leaves/retires but then that puts Ward in an awkward position... so I can't see Thompson as our pick.

The only reason Thompson makes sense is that this mock predicts the 49ers switch to a 4-3 defense. In that case, Thompson provides depth behind Willis and Bowman and depth at safety. He would have a chance to take over at either SS for Bethea or OLB for Willis (or if Willis/Bowman get hurt again which is possible). If we stick with a 3-4 defense, the pick makes little sense because it just creates a backlog at safety.

We may be able to write Thompson off depending on the defensive coordinator the 49ers bring in.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Head Coach- Jim Tomsula
Defensive Coordinator- Jim Schwartz

Personally I'm surprised he doesn't have a job somewhere already. Dude is a great DC and I think could do great things here with our defense.
By the way, I have us switching to a 4-3

Offensive Coordinator- Marc Trestman

I'm really hoping that we can get Trestman as an OC. I don't see it happening but I think he would be a great fit here. This is a guy who started off his coaching career as a QB coach at Miami. He coached a guy by the name of Bernie Kosar who went on to break the school record for yards and TDs in 1 season. (also earning a national chamionship).By the way, for those of you who forgot, in 1996 when the niners lead the NFL with points scored Trestman was our OC.

Contracts-
Restructure-Willis, Brooks (or release), Vernon Davis (or release), Kap, Alex Boone, Stevie Johnson

Resign= Frank Gore, Dan Skuta, Perrish Cox, Michael Wilhoite, Chris Cook, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Josh Johnson, Chris Culliver

Let walk= Michael Crabtree, Mike Iupati, Blaine Gabbert, Brandon Lloyd, Kyle Nelson, Garrett Celek, Kassim Osgood, Raymond Ventrone, Alfonso Smith

Sign= (only notable ones listed)
Torrey Smith- (4 yrs, 22 mil)
Here it is. Finally, we have our deep threat. Smith returns to join Boldin and help get some pressure off of Kaep and the run game. This one will be a Baalke special and I see nothing but great potential here.

Nick Fairley- (4 yrs, 25mil)
This was a hard choice for me. I see tons of potential with this kid and it always seems like something has gone wrong during the season. Whether is be him getting in trouble or injuring his knee, I don't think he has gotten a fair shot yet. This is a DT who can play alongside Dorsey/Smith/Williams and help us with our pass rush. Not only is he good at stopping the run, he can get to the QB in a hurry with his 4.8 speed. 6'4 305lbs, he'll fit right in with Schwartz again and will help us control the LOS.

NFL DRAFT
Round 1 Pick 15-
1. Shaq Thompson OLB/SS (6'2 245lbs) Washington
It took me so long to figure out who to put here. I figured we would go D-line but with Fairley in FA I don't see the need. Everything I have seen about this kid screams football IQ. I've watched him drop back into coverage and get a pick 6 as a corner. I've watched him break runs of 60-70 yards as a running back out of the back field. I've watched him deliver the boom stick to opposing QB's while playing the strong safety position. The point is, this kid can flat out play the game. Another reason I like him is if we run a 4-3, not only will he be able to get on the field snaps behind Reid and Bethea, but he also provides depth to our OLB spot.
This kid reminds me a lot of Kam Chancellor (and I hope we use him the same way). Kam is great at playing the tweener up top in the strong safety position, Thompson will likely be a star in the same format.

Round 2 Pick 47
A.J. Cann OG(6'3 320lbs) South Carolina
With Iupati and Boone potentially leaving, our offensive line is in need of some help. Many have been quick to point to Thomas as the next answer, but I'm not sure I'm ready to trust and unproven rookie yet. I watched a South Carolina game a couple months ago and immediately fell in love with Cann. I've always had an eye for great offensive lineman and my radar is going off on this guy. Very powerful and agile, reminds me of a smaller but faster Iupati. Here is an exerpt on his gameplay
He bursts out of his stance and quickly gets into position, showing instinctive eyes to know what's happening around him while extending his reach to keep space between himself and his target. He has excellent knee bend and good core flexibility and power to absorb bull rushes and often is able to drive opponents off the ball because of his strength and leverage advantage.
I found his weakness description amusing- Cann is best suited to a power-scheme

Round 3 pick 79

3. Clive Walford TE (6'4 250lbs) Miami
Who? Clive, thats who. I don't think we will ever find a Vernon replacement (at least not in this draft) but here is a good attempt. I look at Walford as a cheap man's Funchness (minus the bad hands). I personally didn't know much on him until this mock, but I've been watching some tape on this kid and boy howdy!
Seriously, watch this breakdown, its great. This guy has been flying under the radar for awhile now, he looks like he can line up as a TE or even slot (watch the tape)

Did you see that cut at 1:46? Wow, this guy is great downfield.

Rosters
Offense
QB- Colin Kaepernick, Sean Mannion, Josh Johnson
RB- Carlos Hyde, Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter
FB- Bruce Miller, Trey Millard
WR- Anquan Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Torrey Smith, Quinton Patton, Bruce Ellington, Stephon Diggs
TE- Vernon Davis, Clive Walford, Vance McDonald
OT- Joe Stayley, Anthony Davis, Tyrus Thompson, Jonathan Martin
OG- Alex Boone, Brandon Thomas, A.J. Cann, Joe Looney
C- Daniel Kilgore, Marcus Martin

Defense
RDE- Aldon Smith, Tony Jerrod-Eddie
LDE- Aaron Lynch, Tank Carradine
DT- Justin Smith, Nick Fairley, Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams
OLB- Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Shaq Thompson, Nick Moody
MLB- Chris Borland, Michael Wilhoite, Dan Skuta
CB- Chris Culliver, Dontae Johnson, Trumaine Brock, Perrish Cox, Ladarius Gunter,
FS- Eric Reid, Jimmy Ward, Shaq Thompson
SS- Antoine Bethea, Shaq Thompson

First off I like the coordinators you picked and I'm am surprised that neither have a job yet.

Not sure where you are getting all this cash for FA though you want to resign 8 players (BOTH Cully and Cox) and then sign Smith and Fairly?? Unfortunately they just don't have the cap space for that http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-francisco-49ers/

I don't get the 1st pick either...I think if they get all these players in FA then they would most likely trade back for picks, you don't draft a backup at 15. I hope they target a WR, DL, CB,RB, OL back QB in the draft....but it's super early and we don't even have the staff set up.

Thanks for the right up
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 19, 2015 at 6:53 AM ]

I feel the same way. Great player. But I just can't see us burning a pick that high on a guy that will be a backup. Jimmy Ward was one thing, but that was at 30 overall. Also, I don't expect Thompson to be in a position to start anytime soon. This is like drafting Melvin Gordon if we had Gore, Hyde, and Marcus Lattimore actually worked out. Great player, but it just doesn't make sense.
Stephon Diggs lasting 'til the 5th would be quite the surprise. Mannion in the 6th would be an outright steal.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I feel the same way. Great player. But I just can't see us burning a pick that high on a guy that will be a backup. Jimmy Ward was one thing, but that was at 30 overall. Also, I don't expect Thompson to be in a position to start anytime soon. This is like drafting Melvin Gordon if we had Gore, Hyde, and Marcus Lattimore actually worked out. Great player, but it just doesn't make sense.

I think it makes a lot of sense and Thompson would get on the field a lot more than people realize.
Ward got tons of snaps last season as a nickel CB and safety.
Thompson would play on both sides as an OLB and would be swapped in a safety. It's a depth pick with potential to take a spot from 2 players who are 30+

Plus if we are being honest, I'm not sold that Borland is a starter in our 4-3

From what I've seen (pure speculation) I'm almost willing to bet Bowman-Willis-Thompson> Bowman-Borland-Willis
[ Edited by Quest4six on Jan 20, 2015 at 3:35 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Stephon Diggs lasting 'til the 5th would be quite the surprise. Mannion in the 6th would be an outright steal.

With a broken femur and a couple other nagging injuries I could see Diggs going to the 5th
And believe it or not most mocks I've seen have Mannion falling that far because of his lack of production last season
Originally posted by Quest4six:
With a broken femur and a couple other nagging injuries I could see Diggs going to the 5th
And believe it or not most mocks I've seen have Mannion falling that far because of his lack of production last season

Wow Diggs broke his femur? I remember he got hurt, but I didn't know it was a broken femur.

Mannion in the 6th would be an amazing pick IMO. I hope he falls that far.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Wow Diggs broke his femur? I remember he got hurt, but I didn't know it was a broken femur.

Mannion in the 6th would be an amazing pick IMO. I hope he falls that far.

Sorry I meant fibula not femur.
But yeah he did a year ago and had some lingering issues thoughout the year. I think he'll be healthy with the off time though

There's no way Tyrus Thompson lasts 'til the 7th rd...some draft analysts are predicting as many as 7 OT's taken in the 1st rd. If that happens, then TT could arguably go in rd 2, rd 3 absolute latest. Many analysts say the duo of Thompson & Daryl Williams is the best OT tandem in the nation.

DL will be the position taken in the 1st rd...whether Justin Smith retires or not, now's the time to draft his replacement. Eddie Goldman fills that bill nicely because of his size 6-3, 315-320 and ability to play both DE and DT...and he played on an FSU championship team and one that got into the playoffs.

Taking an OG in the 2nd rd I don't get...Tomsula already has Kilgore, Boone, M. Martin & Brandon Thomas. That's where I'd grab a WR...really like Jaelen Strong's game and size.

Like the rest of your picks, but Baalke would arguably take an OT a lot earlier than the 7th rd.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
There's no way Tyrus Thompson lasts 'til the 7th rd...some draft analysts are predicting as many as 7 OT's taken in the 1st rd. If that happens, then TT could arguably go in rd 2, rd 3 absolute latest. Many analysts say the duo of Thompson & Daryl Williams is the best OT tandem in the nation.

DL will be the position taken in the 1st rd...whether Justin Smith retires or not, now's the time to draft his replacement. Eddie Goldman fills that bill nicely because of his size 6-3, 315-320 and ability to play both DE and DT...and he played on an FSU championship team and one that got into the playoffs.

Taking an OG in the 2nd rd I don't get...Tomsula already has Kilgore, Boone, M. Martin & Brandon Thomas. That's where I'd grab a WR...really like Jaelen Strong's game and size.

Like the rest of your picks, but Baalke would arguably take an OT a lot earlier than the 7th rd.

The draft big board I used had Thompson in the 7th round, I don't think he'll last that long either... I'm honestly probably going to make a 3.0 but not until after the combine.

I didn't use DL in the 1st round because of the Fairley signing, I have a feeling we are going to use FA to add depth there and not the draft.

I'm almost willing to bet we take an offensive lineman before a defensive one. Our line was horrendous last year and as we saw the depth behind is was a joke (Martin and Looney).
Not to mention I wasn't overly impressed with Kilgore or Boone. I'm not too sold on Brandon Thomas either, he's recovering from a leg injury and he hasn't even played a snap for a year now. That is not a back up we are going to/should count on. If he does well, it should be looked at as a bonus.
I don't know about you, but I'm not sold on the Looney/Martin back up combo. I think Cann is an awesome pick to come in and fill at the LG position with Thomas/Boone/Davis switching out at the RG/RT positions.
So it would look something like
Stayley/Cann/Kilgore/Boone/Davis
Or if Davis goes down
Stayley/Martin/Kilgore/Cann/Boone
Or if Boone goes down
Stayley/Cann/Kilgore/Thomas/Davis

After last season I think its apparent we need some help there
And there goes Trestman

I'm literally going to wait for my next mock until we have a full coaching staff. God this is irritating
Share 49ersWebzone