There are 202 users in the forums

Quest4six's January mock version 2

You're missing a glaring need...and that's DE/DT. Ray Mac's gone and Justin Smith could well be. Tank needs to step up and claim one of the DE positions, but Baalke will have to address it early. And for me, that's Leonard Williams. He's picking at #15 this draft and will need to use that position to grab a top player. There are a number of needs, but I can't think of a bigger one than DE/DT.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
You're missing a glaring need...and that's DE/DT. Ray Mac's gone and Justin Smith could well be. Tank needs to step up and claim one of the DE positions, but Baalke will have to address it early. And for me, that's Leonard Williams. He's picking at #15 this draft and will need to use that position to grab a top player. There are a number of needs, but I can't think of a bigger one than DE/DT.

I agree D line should be a priority but L. Williams will be long gone before the 15th pick. They might have an outside shot at Danny Shelton

Leonard Williams is going to go top 5 IMO.
I have us signing Paea which I think should help.
But overall I am going to change a couple things on this mock.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Why would the Niners trade with the Saints with Davante Parker on the board? I think they would sprint to the podium with his name on the card. Not a wise move based on their current needs.

Like I specified before, I believe that the drop off between 1st round offensive lineman and second round offensive lineman is way bigger than that between 1st round WR and second round WR.

I would rather have 1st round talent on the O-line and a WR Kaep is comfortable with (Boldin and Stevie) coupled with a deep threat like Coates
Than a rookie who struggles on creating seperation (Sherman would OWN parker btw) and a questionable offensive line with Parker and Boldin with Stevie barely playing
[ Edited by Quest4six on Dec 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Quest4six:

Leonard Williams is going to go top 5 IMO.
I have us signing Paea which I think should help.
But overall I am going to change a couple things on this mock.

Why would the Niners trade with the Saints with Davante Parker on the board? I think they would sprint to the podium with his name on the card. Not a wise move based on their current needs.

Like I specified before, I believe that the drop off between 1st round offensive lineman and second round offensive lineman is way bigger than that between 1st round WR and second round WR.

I would rather have 1st round talent on the O-line and a WR Kaep is comfortable with (Boldin and Stevie) coupled with a deep threat like Coates
Than a rookie who struggles on creating seperation (Sherman would OWN parker btw) and a questionable offensive line with Parker and Boldin with Stevie barely playing

Agree with you about Leonard Williams. He won't be around past pick 5.

In regards to the Ogbuehi pick, his stock has slid a bit this year and the Niners have another decent offensive lineman in Brandon Thomas waiting in the wings. Coates would be an option, but he wasn't even the best WR on his own team. Duke Williams outplayed him early this season. Maybe Kevin White would be the call, but I still think WR is the bigger need.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Dec 29, 2014 at 6:51 AM ]
Agree with you about Leonard Williams. He won't be around past pick 5.

In regards to the Ogbuehi pick, his stock has slid a bit this year and the Niners have another decent offensive lineman in Brandon Thomas waiting in the wings. Coates would be an option, but he wasn't even the best WR on his own team. Duke Williams outplayed him early this season. Maybe Kevin White would be the call, but I still think WR is the bigger need.

I didn't see this bump.

Yeah since I last did this mock Oguehi has fallen off the face of the planet. I'm not sure I would call Brandon Thomas a decent guard yet, and I hope Baalke isn't thinking the same. If we lose Boone and Iupati (which doesn't seem very likely) we are going to be in a world of hurt.
When I did this mock I thought we were going to let them go, doesn't seem that way anymore. In all honesty I'm about to redo this whole thing.

I'm thinking I go Dline-WR-Oline
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Report: Texas A&M OL Cedric Ogbuehi tore ACL in Liberty Bowl

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000457348/article/report-texas-am-ol-cedric-ogbuehi-tore-acl-in-liberty-bowl
Originally posted by DeUh:
Report: Texas A&M OL Cedric Ogbuehi tore ACL in Liberty Bowl

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000457348/article/report-texas-am-ol-cedric-ogbuehi-tore-acl-in-liberty-bowl

Yeah I just saw this.
I'd never wish injury on anyone and I hope he recovers but that makes my mock a whole lot easier now that I think we can nab guys like him and Ifo in the 3rd.

But still
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

that makes my mock a whole lot easier

I can´t wait to see the new version.
Originally posted by DeUh:

that makes my mock a whole lot easier

I can´t wait to see the new version.

Thanks Deuh,
Starting on it right now
Bump. Updated.

Do we have the money for those FA???

Like the draft except for Thompson but you already know about that
Originally posted by shmuck:
Do we have the money for those FA???

Like the draft except for Thompson but you already know about that

We will if we restructure the guys up top.

I know haha, but luckily for you I know you wanted a TE/DL.
So rather than wait to develop them in the draft, I got some proven guys already
Love the FA decisions, and I like that you are addressing our offensive line after letting Iupati walk. Thompson isn't my favorite prospect at 15, but If we switch to a 4-3, we would need more depth at OLB in addition to safety.

I don't know if it's worth it to make the change to a 4-3 just so we can get Borland on the field with Willis and Bowman because we would be making several players less effective and hurting our depth. I don't think Skuta or Lemonier have the athleticism/fluidity to play OLB in a 4-3 scheme. Lynch and Lemonier could probably put on weight and move back to DE (Lynch used to be near 270 pounds a few years ago), but Skuta wouldn't really have a place on the defense. I think Willis and Bowman could play 4-3 OLB effectively, but I prefer them at 3-4 ILB. Our defense was one of the best in the league last season and if it's not broke, don't fix it. We may lose Justin Smith, but we will get back Willis and Bowman (and hopefully Aldon Smith for a full season) and our secondary should be improved.

If we don't switch to a 4-3, I'd like Eddie Goldman to play NT (which would allow Dorsey to rotate at DE) or Doriel Green-Beckham at 15. Green-Beckham is raw and doesn't run a complete route tree yet, but he has the speed and jump ball ability to stretch the field as well as contribute in the red zone.

I always enjoy reading your mocks, so thanks for the hard work!
That's a very ambitious off-season forecast...I like a lot of it, but have a couple questions:

- Do you really think Torrey Smith can be had for $22M for 4 yrs. I don't...he's a HR hitter who's continually improved to be one of Flacco's go-to guys. Ravens will offer him considerably more than $22M, IMHO.

- Fairley, I don't know that 4 yrs, $25M would get him, either.

If I'm right (I think I am), we don't get either of those guys in FA. Would I love to see them in crimson & gold, absolutely, I just don't see it happening for those prices. I get we need a WR and a DL...but I'm thinking Baalke drafts them. 1st rd, he goes for the best DL on the board and at #15 that would be Eddie Goldman. He might take a WR in rd 2...maybe Devin Smith or D G-B.

I don't get OG in rd 2. What makes you think Boone's going anywhere? Granted he wasn't as good in 2014, but believe his holdout had a lot to do with that. Tomsula also has M. Martin, Brandon Thomas. Think the bigger need is a swing OT, but not that early (but well before rd 7). J. Martin's gotta go.

Like the TE and CB picks...think we all hope Vernon will rebound to his pre-2014 form, but there's not much receiving talent behind him. You can never have too many good CB's.
Very nice mock.....everybody thinks wr will be our pick in the 1st or 2nd rd......Too many holes for that.....really like your mock
Share 49ersWebzone