There are 206 users in the forums

Quest4six's January mock version 2

Head Coach- Jim Tomsula
Defensive Coordinator- Jim Schwartz

Personally I'm surprised he doesn't have a job somewhere already. Dude is a great DC and I think could do great things here with our defense.
By the way, I have us switching to a 4-3

Offensive Coordinator- Marc Trestman

I'm really hoping that we can get Trestman as an OC. I don't see it happening but I think he would be a great fit here. This is a guy who started off his coaching career as a QB coach at Miami. He coached a guy by the name of Bernie Kosar who went on to break the school record for yards and TDs in 1 season. (also earning a national chamionship).By the way, for those of you who forgot, in 1996 when the niners lead the NFL with points scored Trestman was our OC.

Contracts-
Restructure-Willis, Brooks (or release), Vernon Davis (or release), Kap, Alex Boone, Stevie Johnson

Resign= Frank Gore, Dan Skuta, Perrish Cox, Michael Wilhoite, Chris Cook, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Josh Johnson, Chris Culliver

Let walk= Michael Crabtree, Mike Iupati, Blaine Gabbert, Brandon Lloyd, Kyle Nelson, Garrett Celek, Kassim Osgood, Raymond Ventrone, Alfonso Smith

Sign= (only notable ones listed)
Torrey Smith- (4 yrs, 22 mil)
Here it is. Finally, we have our deep threat. Smith returns to join Boldin and help get some pressure off of Kaep and the run game. This one will be a Baalke special and I see nothing but great potential here.

Nick Fairley- (4 yrs, 25mil)
This was a hard choice for me. I see tons of potential with this kid and it always seems like something has gone wrong during the season. Whether is be him getting in trouble or injuring his knee, I don't think he has gotten a fair shot yet. This is a DT who can play alongside Dorsey/Smith/Williams and help us with our pass rush. Not only is he good at stopping the run, he can get to the QB in a hurry with his 4.8 speed. 6'4 305lbs, he'll fit right in with Schwartz again and will help us control the LOS.

NFL DRAFT
Round 1 Pick 15-
1. Shaq Thompson OLB/SS (6'2 245lbs) Washington
It took me so long to figure out who to put here. I figured we would go D-line but with Fairley in FA I don't see the need. Everything I have seen about this kid screams football IQ. I've watched him drop back into coverage and get a pick 6 as a corner. I've watched him break runs of 60-70 yards as a running back out of the back field. I've watched him deliver the boom stick to opposing QB's while playing the strong safety position. The point is, this kid can flat out play the game. Another reason I like him is if we run a 4-3, not only will he be able to get on the field snaps behind Reid and Bethea, but he also provides depth to our OLB spot.
This kid reminds me a lot of Kam Chancellor (and I hope we use him the same way). Kam is great at playing the tweener up top in the strong safety position, Thompson will likely be a star in the same format.

Round 2 Pick 47
A.J. Cann OG(6'3 320lbs) South Carolina
With Iupati and Boone potentially leaving, our offensive line is in need of some help. Many have been quick to point to Thomas as the next answer, but I'm not sure I'm ready to trust and unproven rookie yet. I watched a South Carolina game a couple months ago and immediately fell in love with Cann. I've always had an eye for great offensive lineman and my radar is going off on this guy. Very powerful and agile, reminds me of a smaller but faster Iupati. Here is an exerpt on his gameplay
He bursts out of his stance and quickly gets into position, showing instinctive eyes to know what's happening around him while extending his reach to keep space between himself and his target. He has excellent knee bend and good core flexibility and power to absorb bull rushes and often is able to drive opponents off the ball because of his strength and leverage advantage.
I found his weakness description amusing- Cann is best suited to a power-scheme

Round 3 pick 79

3. Clive Walford TE (6'4 250lbs) Miami
Who? Clive, thats who. I don't think we will ever find a Vernon replacement (at least not in this draft) but here is a good attempt. I look at Walford as a cheap man's Funchness (minus the bad hands). I personally didn't know much on him until this mock, but I've been watching some tape on this kid and boy howdy!
Seriously, watch this breakdown, its great. This guy has been flying under the radar for awhile now, he looks like he can line up as a TE or even slot (watch the tape)

Did you see that cut at 1:46? Wow, this guy is great downfield.

Rosters
Offense
QB- Colin Kaepernick, Sean Mannion, Josh Johnson
RB- Carlos Hyde, Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter
FB- Bruce Miller, Trey Millard
WR- Anquan Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Torrey Smith, Quinton Patton, Bruce Ellington, Stephon Diggs
TE- Vernon Davis, Clive Walford, Vance McDonald
OT- Joe Stayley, Anthony Davis, Tyrus Thompson, Jonathan Martin
OG- Alex Boone, Brandon Thomas, A.J. Cann, Joe Looney
C- Daniel Kilgore, Marcus Martin

Defense
RDE- Aldon Smith, Tony Jerrod-Eddie
LDE- Aaron Lynch, Tank Carradine
DT- Justin Smith, Nick Fairley, Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams
OLB- Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Shaq Thompson, Nick Moody
MLB- Chris Borland, Michael Wilhoite, Dan Skuta
CB- Chris Culliver, Dontae Johnson, Trumaine Brock, Perrish Cox, Ladarius Gunter,
FS- Eric Reid, Jimmy Ward, Shaq Thompson
SS- Antoine Bethea, Shaq Thompson
[ Edited by Quest4six on Jan 16, 2015 at 4:04 PM ]
I'm not sure about Ogbuehi. Didn't he get moved from LT cuz he was struggling this year? I like the Olomu and Coates picks and would go crazy if we got Mannion in the 4th (I think he'll be gone in he 60s). Also I don't see Harbaugh staying (and honestly don't want him to)
Why would you let Cully walk? I like Sammie Coates but I love Devante Parker and if we pass on him we will be passing on Odell Beckham Jr. JR. Love Maxwell
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
I'm not sure about Ogbuehi. Didn't he get moved from LT cuz he was struggling this year? I like the Olomu and Coates picks and would go crazy if we got Mannion in the 4th (I think he'll be gone in he 60s). Also I don't see Harbaugh staying (and honestly don't want him to)

No, he got moved because Luke Jockel and Jake Matthews were in front of him.
I believe he is playing there now, but he still is a solid pick up IMO and I could change my opinion. I just think he fills a lot of questions we will have going into the offseason (especially Iupati and Boone possibly leaving)

I want Mannion bad also, most websites I have seen have him around the 160-190 pick http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/QB
Originally posted by filthyrich49er:
Why would you let Cully walk? I like Sammie Coates but I love Devante Parker and if we pass on him we will be passing on Odell Beckham Jr. JR. Love Maxwell

Cully isn't worth the money he is going to demand. I constantly worry about him and for as good as he has been lately, he has been just as bad this season.
I'm not sold on him as a starting CB

I looked at it as a positional value pick. The talent level between Coates and Parker is a small gap. Parker gets the nod IMO
I would rather have Coates and a 1st round talent, than Parker and a middle second round talent.
[ Edited by Quest4six on Dec 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM ]
I actually like this a lot, very reasonable and more in lined with what I'd like to see happen. My only concern (and you mentioned he may not even declare) is Fields. Talent wise he could be terrific, but being released from TCU and not playing all to well at a JUCO I think makes him return to school.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Dec 17, 2014 at 8:40 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
I'm not sure about Ogbuehi. Didn't he get moved from LT cuz he was struggling this year?

No, he got moved because Luke Jockel and Jake Matthews were in front of him.

Nov 12, 2014

Apparently, Kevin Sumlin didn't like what he saw there either, and last Saturday Ogbuehi moved back to right tackle to replace the injured Germain Ifedi. Starting for Ogbuehi at left tackle? Jarvis Harrison, a converted guard.

https://www.football.com/en-us/draft-stock-watch-is-connor-cook-ready-to-turn-pro/
Originally posted by Travisty13:
I actually like this a lot, very reasonable and more in lined with what I'd like to see happen. My only concern (and you mentioned he may not even declare) is Fields. Talent wise he could be terrific, but being released from TCU and not playing all to well at a JUCO I think makes him return to school.

Thank you, put a lot of time into it.
He was my big question mark as well, and I figured if we could get him in with Lynch he'd get set straight.
It upsets me because this kid has the potential to be so good. First round good
But I may end up changing him on my next update
Originally posted by DeUh:
Nov 12, 2014

Apparently, Kevin Sumlin didn't like what he saw there either, and last Saturday Ogbuehi moved back to right tackle to replace the injured Germain Ifedi. Starting for Ogbuehi at left tackle? Jarvis Harrison, a converted guard.

https://www.football.com/en-us/draft-stock-watch-is-connor-cook-ready-to-turn-pro/

Guess I mis-read my information. Thanks for the post De-Uh, good stuff.
To be honest I really wanted Vadal Alexander out of LSU, but I wasn't sure if he was going to declare or not.
If he does, I might move Ogbuehi
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Nov 12, 2014

To be honest I really wanted Vadal Alexander out of LSU, but I wasn't sure if he was going to declare or not.

Apr 20,2015 Lael Collins Topic

I selected OL Lael Collins LSU in my Final Mock and therefore did a ton of research on the Topic (see picture below).

Here is a extract of what I found.

Awards

- Voted Team Captain in 2014
- Was recipient of the Charles McClendon Award (most outstanding player on the team)
- Won Jacobs Blocking Trophy as the top offensive lineman in the SEC

LSU Fan on the Topic

Everytime he missed some Team Activities it was related to either helping his mother and their family or helping young children (ie. his old pop warner team he visits and helps as a role model often, and community involvement trying to support his High School which is struggling to stay open.

Read more: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/182103-deuhacutes-final-2015-mock-draft/
Dec 17, 2014

Speaking about the LSU OL.....you should check out La'el Collins.

People are gonna over-analyze his lack of athleticism for LT but he should be vicious at either OG or RT. There are a few questions about his work ethic though IIRC.

Found what I was looking for.

[ Edited by DeUh on Apr 21, 2015 at 9:17 AM ]

People are gonna over-analyze his lack of athleticism but he should be vicious at G. There are a few questions about his work ethic though IIRC.

I looked at him for a long time.
I think we would have to trade up for him though. In a draft where the best guard is projected at round 2, versatile tackles are going to fly off the board.

I really really really want Alexander.

I like what you did. My problem is that I don't think Harbaugh will be back. I just don't see it happening imo.
Trestman was mentioned wayyyyyy too many times!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Nov 12, 2014

People are gonna over-analyze his lack of athleticism but he should be vicious at G. There are a few questions about his work ethic though IIRC.

Found what I was looking for.

LOL Tharold Simon who was drafted by seattle on that list. Pete Carroll doesn't give a s**t about character no doubt.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
LOL Tharold Simon who was drafted by seattle on that list. Pete Carroll doesn't give a s**t about character no doubt.

How many of these guys are starters still? Someone spoke the truth.
Also Quest4Six love the mock. My heart wants one of the top WR's or RB's but my mind says we need to get DT or OT. You did a bit of both and I'd be real giddy with Ogbuehi, Coates, Ifo and a Qb who is not a throwaway.
Share 49ersWebzone