LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Looking outside of the top 5

I wanted to start this thread to take a look at receivers who don't get as much fanfare, either because of limited production at the college level, playing at smaller schools, or perhaps they are having a down year. I don't think it's that much of a stretch for us to take two receivers in this draft. We have Anquan Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Quinton Patton, and Bruce Ellington going into next season. Assuming we do not bring in Kassim Osgood, we have two openings the way I see it. You also have to consider that Anquan Boldin's deal is up after the 2015 season, so we could likely be replacing him as well.

Everyone has their favorites like the Kevin White's, Amari Cooper's, etc. But what about the guys projected to be drafted in the 3rd round or lower? Is there any player that anyone likes that we could get late, but could be a solid contributor? There is also the prospect of ST duty for this player either as competition at returner or on the coverage/return unit in general while they hone their skills with HOPEFULLY a new receiver coach.

Who are some of the board's favorites?

Even though there is a thread about this guy, I'll have to go with Phillip Dorsett. I'm probably biased as a Miami fan, but the guy has been ridiculous this year as a big play receiver. If ever there were a guy that could take advantage of Kap's arm, this is the guy. Taking him in the 4th round and pairing him with Jaelen Strong, Kevin White, or DeVante Parker would have me viewing our receivers as a position of strength. It would leave us with plenty of young talent and a diverse skill set between our size guys that can out muscle you for the ball, route runners with short area quickness, and pure speed with Dorsett.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
From the top of my head in no particular order:

- DeAndre Smelter Georgia Tech
- Phillip Dorsett Miami
- Josh Harper Fresno State
- Leonte Carroo Rutgers
- Tajae Sharpe UMass
- Antwan Goodley Baylor
- Devante Davis UNLV
- Breshad Perriman UCF
[ Edited by DeUh on Dec 13, 2014 at 12:02 PM ]
<------------------------------------ Will be checking out those guys during the bowl games.
Originally posted by DeUh:
From the top of my head in no particular order:

- DeAndre Smelter Georgia Tech
- Phillip Dorsett Miami
- Josh Harper Fresno State
- Leonte Carroo Rutgers
- Tajae Sharpe UMass
- Antwan Goodley Baylor
- Devante Davis UNLV
- Breshad Perriman UCF

That's a nice list
Jamison Crowder, Duke, 5'9/175 - Antonio Brown type talent. Productive return man. Speed, quickness and the savviness to get open. 4-5 Round

Jamarcus Nelson, UAB, 5'11/160 - big play threat, averaged 19.6 yards per catch over his career. Also a great returner (had 4 kickoff return TDs this year). 5-7 Round.

Titus Davis, Central Michigan, 6'2/190 - not the biggest or fasted guy, but uses great route running to create separation. 2x team MVP, set CMU record for most TDs at 33 (also 1st WR in FBS history to record at least 8 TDs a year for 4 years). 2nd all time in yards and 4th in receptions at Central Michigan. 4-5 Round

Jordan Taylor, Rice, 6'5/210 - big WR with great hands and makes a lot of difficult catches. Has a great feel for the game, and seems to always knows what's going on around him and the situation. Was hurt for the 1st part of this season but in 9 games still had 781 yards and 6 TDs. Would absolutely love this guy as a later round pick. 4-6 Round

Ezell Ruffin, San Diego State, 6'1/210 - a broken collarbone hampered him most of this season (last year had 68 catches, 1136 yards, 3 TDs). But is a solid, dependable WR with deceptive speed. Can win the contested ball. Will more than likely be a UDFA, but could sneak into the later 2 rounds with a good pre-draft showing. 6-UDFA.

I'm trying to give more mid-late round guys I love. But I also love Vince Mayle from Washington State (there's a thread about him) in the 2nd-3rd round and Justin Hardy from ECU in the 2nd-3rd round range.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Titus Davis, Central Michigan, 6'2/190 - not the biggest or fasted guy, but uses great route running to create separation. 2x team MVP, set CMU record for most TDs at 33 (also 1st WR in FBS history to record at least 8 TDs a year for 4 years). 2nd all time in yards and 4th in receptions at Central Michigan. 4-5 Round

Good eye for talent T.
Share 49ersWebzone