There are 229 users in the forums

Shaq Thompson- Weapon, Washington

Originally posted by shmuck:
I just don't see the need for him at LB or Safety right now to bad because he is a stud.

With Reid's concussions, Ward coming off foot surgery and IR last year, not to mention Bethea is now 31 I see a huge need at safety.
The reason Seattle's defense works so well in stopping the run is because Kam Chancellor is able to play the safety/weak side LB tweener role VERY well.

Whether he is dropping into coverage, or crashing the running lanes Kam gives that Seattle defense another aspect, its almost not fair because if he smells out a run its like Seattle is running a 4-4 single high safety. Not to mention it gives that OLB he is playing above tons of freedom to literally roam around and deliver punishment.
I see Thompson playing that role very well, and if we switch to a 4-3 I ultimately see him pushing Bethea out

I'm making my 2.0 mock right now, I can't decide between Shelton/Goldman/Thompson
All 3 of those are possible guys that I think will plug right in and be effective day 1
[ Edited by Quest4six on Jan 16, 2015 at 9:02 AM ]
Originally posted by Quest4six:
With Reid's concussions, Ward coming off foot surgery and IR last year, not to mention Bethea is now 31 I see a huge need at safety.
The reason Seattle's defense works so well in stopping the run is because Kam Chancellor is able to play the safety/weak side LB tweener role VERY well.

Whether he is dropping into coverage, or crashing the running lanes Kam gives that Seattle defense another aspect, its almost not fair because if he smells out a run its like Seattle is running a 4-4 single high safety. Not to mention it gives that OLB he is playing above tons of freedom to literally roam around and deliver punishment.
I see Thompson playing that role very well, and if we switch to a 4-3 I ultimately see him pushing Bethea out

I'm making my 2.0 mock right now, I can't decide between Shelton/Goldman/Thompson
All 3 of those are possible guys that I think will plug right in and be effective day 1

I could as easily say with a young dominate safety in Reid, an up and comer in Ward, and a team MVP in Bethea i see little to no need for a safety. Safety is just not as pressing as WR or D line.

EDIT: That being said I do like him as a BPA pick. If he falls into the top of the second I wouldn't be opposed to moving up to grab him. We'll find somewhere for him to play
[ Edited by shmuck on Jan 16, 2015 at 2:08 PM ]
I could as easily say with a young dominate safety in Reid, an up and comer in Ward, and a team MVP in Bethea i see little to no need for a safety. Safety is just not as pressing as WR or D line.

EDIT: That being said I do like him as a BPA pick. If he falls into the top of the second I wouldn't be opposed to moving up to grab him. We'll find somewhere for him to play

The stuff that I posted is actually happening. The stuff you posted is optimism (don't get me wrong, I would love to be wrong here)
But we can't ignore what's happened.

I think Shaq is going to be my first pick for my mock, I expect alot out of this kid
You take Thompson at 15 barring someone sliding down that you rated much higher. He's physical playmaker. Bethea isn't going to have too many more years left and getting Thompson also would allow him to play OLB and he can certainly play MLB if needed and who knwos maybe teams find he's most valuable at RB.

I think Goldman is more of looks like Tarzan plays like Jane (hyperbolic point for emphasis). I wouldn't hate a WR at 15 but Thompson falls into a speical player category for me because he's a player who is blessed with extraordinary game sense along with his physical attributes.

I think we may end up with a WR at 15 only because Thompson is gone.
The stuff that I posted is actually happening. The stuff you posted is optimism (don't get me wrong, I would love to be wrong here)

I think Shaq is going to be my first pick for my mock, I expect alot out of this kid

although I see what your saying the stuff I posted is NOT optimism, it is as based in truth as your argument was. Has Reid not been great/amazing these past two years? Should we not expect much out of last years first round draft pick, I don't see why he couldn't only get better going back to his original position. Was Bethea not voted team MVP and played at a ridiculously high level last year?

It could really go either way. All our safeties going to s**t as likely as them all turning out to be amazing.

We have other positions that an upgrade at is far more pressing. We are in dire need for a X receiver the Kaep can actually rely on. RayMac is gone and JS might retire.
although I see what your saying the stuff I posted is NOT optimism, it is as based in truth as your argument was. Has Reid not been great/amazing these past two years? Should we not expect much out of last years first round draft pick, I don't see why he couldn't only get better going back to his original position. Was Bethea not voted team MVP and played at a ridiculously high level last year?

It could really go either way. All our safeties going to s**t as likely as them all turning out to be amazing.

We have other positions that an upgrade at is far more pressing. We are in dire need for a X receiver the Kaep can actually rely on. RayMac is gone and JS might retire.

I agree, I just think if Reid gets another concussion we are in serious trouble, he's averaging 1.5 a year. Also Bethea had a great season, but strong safety in our defense is no joke, thats a hard position. He's getting older so I think developing someone behind him now would be a great start. Especially to give him a break

I agree with the X WR, I see a huge need there.
All in all though good points
I agree, I just think if Reid gets another concussion we are in serious trouble, he's averaging 1.5 a year. Also Bethea had a great season, but strong safety in our defense is no joke, thats a hard position. He's getting older so I think developing someone behind him now would be a great start. Especially to give him a break

I agree with the X WR, I see a huge need there.
All in all though good points

Yea honestly i think we need 1 more year to decide on the safeties. That ok because next years safety class should be pretty strong with Su'a Cravens (check him out he's a beast) Jalen Ramasy and Karl Joesph (did you hear he killed a man in texas? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPTFREp8mUA)

EDIT: IMO Cravens and Ramsay will be better safeties then Thompson both of them make me salivate
[ Edited by shmuck on Jan 16, 2015 at 3:09 PM ]
great player, but no need for him
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Good player. Probably a 4-3 Sam or Will. Depends on his weight at the combine and campus workout.

What about at SS?
There is no SS, Baalke wants his safeties to be interchangeable... I really question if this guy has the coverage ability to play over the top... Seems the only way to justify drafting him is if we plan to move on from P Will in 1-2 years, and that doesn't seem necessary now that we no it was a toe problem that sapped his acceleration these last few years...Which is now fixed

I think it would be a good BPA choice. He could replace Dahl's position as backup safety (and could possibly succeed Bethea) and he could also play OLB in case we lose Aldon to suspension or he asks for an outrageous contract at the end of the year. If we switch to a 4-3 he could be very good playing at Will with his ball hawking and blitzing skills allowing Willis and Bowman to play Mike and Sam. If we want to run some gadget plays we could also have him in at RB. There is a ton of flexibility in what we could do with him and having him for 5 years would be very wise as he is not just a jack but a king of all trades.

What the hell is the point of drafting a WR early if Kap can't throw and/or doesn't have time to throw?
I'm a High School coach in Sacramento and I vividly remember Shaq and his older brother Sydquan, who played at Cal and with the Broncos shortly, as just super athletes. Shaq is by far the better of the two. He can be an All-pro at what ever position he/team decides to play him. Washington used him as a corner, then SS and now Weak side LB. He also started carrying the ball for them the latter half of the year this past season and was effective. I'll take him on team any day. Good citizen too....we need these kind of guys on our team.
[ Edited by suckafree17 on Jan 17, 2015 at 2:23 PM ]
  • All22
  • Veteran
You don't draft "depth" at 15.
Originally posted by All22:
You don't draft "depth" at 15.

Many teams would disagree with you.
Many, many teams
Share 49ersWebzone