There are 161 users in the forums

Duke Johnson-RB-Miami

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersPrincipality:
Looks exciting; but we already have Kendall Hunter

Kendall Hunter ? Nice kid, but very ordinary. We need some proper power backs.
I absolutely love this kid. I've been telling a buddy of mine about him & he can't see it. The 49ers absolutely need a homerun hitter out of the backfield and he's a mismatch waiting to happen.
Originally posted by Phil:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Duke Johnson, the name, sounds like a traditional RB. All American legend type name. Haven't seen him play, just think his name is great.

Lol

You have really missed out. I don't watch enough college football, but it's been a treat to watch Duke Johnson these last 3 years. I also think having him and Frank Gore in the same backfield, if only for a season. I'm sure Frank isn't interested in being rushed into retirement, however, it might help him a bit to see a fellow Cane joining the team.

I still want to give Hunter a chance. Hyde too.

One-two punch of Hyde and Johnson is the mix for the future. I like Kendall Hunter, but two season ending injuries + Duke Johnson's rookie deal should be cheaper than what Kendall Hunter can potentially command if he has a productive 2015 season.
True on the contract but Hunter has never been given a chance at 15 carries a game. A healthy Gore/Hunter/Hyde should suffice for 2015.....our passing game is the real stinker.

Gotta get a QB for competition at least in the second round. A WR with size and skill for the redzone and better pass blocking o line.

I'm of the opinion Gore/Hyde would have done much better if our passing game wasnt so lousy. Every defense committed to stop the run, stacked the box, hit us with a lot of underneath zone coverage and blitzes with man coverage. And Kap couldn't make them pay for doing so. Blame that on what you will buy the overall point is Gore/Hyde/Hunter should be good enough for 2015.

If they cut Gore then ya, but it still depends on what the new coaching staffs approach is going to be. I'd personally have WR, QB and o line as priorities. 2015 WR free agency is pretty deep so squeezing in a RB first 3 rounds will be possible.

Trent may stick with the best player avable approach as well. Other than Ward it worked well in 2014.

Never mind...I'll let this one be.
You're right, but a first round pick? And are you willing to pass over a starting caliber receiver?

Originally posted by 49ersPrincipality:
Looks exciting; but we already have Kendall Hunter

I know many are still hopeful about Hunter, as am I, but I'm very skeptical of him returning. Also, he's not the game breaker they need out the backfield. I know he never we used in such a manner but I doubt this Hunter will be more explosive than Duke
Originally posted by Rascal:
Kendall Hunter ? Nice kid, but very ordinary. We need some proper power backs.

Hunter is nowhere near as explosive as Duke Johnson.
" The Duke" I say we get a burner at WR in the 1st, a Stud DE in the 2nd and then trade back into the 2nd for "The Duke"
Originally posted by Ninerlakerdodger:
" The Duke" I say we get a burner at WR in the 1st, a Stud DE in the 2nd and then trade back into the 2nd for "The Duke"

There aren't any burner WRs in the 1st.
From the U so I'm all for it. Duke is a stud.
I really, really want this guy to be a 49er. I think having him along with Hyde would be a terrific 1-2 combination if Gore doesn't return.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/02/14/duke-johnson-miami-nfl-draft/23438389/

Duke Johnson is a mama's boy, and proud of it.

He heeds her advice on life, uses the struggles he saw her endure years ago as motivation on the football field today, and tells her everything — or so she thought.

One day in the summer of 2013, after a standout freshman season at Miami, Fla., Johnson, the nation's ninth-leading rusher last year, called his mother with a request.

"I was on my way to work, working midnights, overtime, and he was like, 'Mom, I need a picture of you,' " Cassandra Mitchell recalled. "He said, 'I have pictures of everybody and I don't have a picture of you,' so I was like, 'OK, no problem.' "

Mitchell scrolled through her phone and sent Johnson seven or eight photos. There was one of her with family, a couple at Duke's football games. Then Johnson called back.

"He's like, 'Mom, I need a head shot,' " Mitchell said. "I'm just like, 'A head shot? Boy, I don't like taking no close-ups with this big nose.' He said, 'Mom, I need a head shot.' So me, I sent it not thinking anything."

A few days later, on the Fourth of July, when Johnson showed up with what appeared to be a bandage covering his massive left shoulder, Mitchell went into a momentary state of panic fearing her son hurt his arm and didn't tell her.

Johnson surprised his mother with this portrait tattoo of her on his upper arm. (Photo: Courtesy Johnson family)

"What happened?" Mitchell asked, only to take a closer look and see plastic film covering an image of her face on her son's arm.

"I was like, 'Boy, didn't I tell you to get no more tattoos, but that's so sweet,' " she said. "So I teased him, 'At least you could have given me a nose job.' "

Johnson, who will try to prove his worth as the best running back in the 2015 draft at this week's NFL combine in Indianapolis, said the tattoo is a tribute to the woman who raised him, the hardship they survived and everything she sacrificed to make his football dream come true.

Growing up in the Liberty City section of Miami, an area that has produced many an NFL player, Johnson saw his then-single mother work three jobs to provide for him and his sister, Ranisha.

A corrections officer for most of the last 19 years, Mitchell also worked part time as an office aide at the school board, as a waitress at Pizza Hut and seasonally at Toys R Us when Johnson was growing up, cabbing from job to job around town.

Duke, Ranisha and Mitchell shared a single queen-size bed for part of his youth, and when his mom worked the overnight shift, first at the South Florida Reception Center and more recently at the Miami-Dade County Jail, Duke often stayed with his grandmother, Martha Williams.

"Freshman year of college there was a lot going on for me," said Johnson, whose father, Randy, died of ALS when he was 13. "It was hard on and off the field. I had a lot going on and I just thought about what my mom had went through growing up and she had endured, and I kind of said if she could go through it, it's nothing for me to go through this, it's nothing for me to keep pushing and keep going. So I decided to get the tattoo as just a reminder to myself anytime that things get hard, anytime things get tough, I can look over and she's there.

"That just reminds me of all the things that she did and how tough she was raising me and my sister, so that's something that's really big for me. If something's going bad I can look over and instantly be able to get better."

Though he said he had a tough time adjusting to the rigors of college, not much has gone bad for Johnson on the field the past few years.

He set a Miami freshman rushing record with 947 yards in 2012 and nearly broke Willis McGahee's school record with 2,060 all-purpose yards, including 892 on kick returns with two touchdowns.

Johnson rushed for 920 yards in eight games as a sophomore before a broken right ankle ended his season, and last year he amassed 1,652 yards to set a school record for most rushing yards in a career (3,519).

Among the backs he passed on Miami's all-time rushing list are McGahee, Edgerrin James, Frank Gore, Clinton Portis and Ottis Anderson.

"Just knowing the guys who played before me and doing some of the things they did and me growing up, watching them, just seeing the way they played and what they were able to accomplish, just knowing that I'm the leading rusher now, it's amazing," Johnson said. "I think it's mind-blowing for one, just the names of the guys who came through here and then went to the next level and did the things that they did. It was amazing to me."

Now, Johnson is out to duplicate their success in the NFL.

McGahee, the 23rd overall pick in the 2003 draft, James (No. 4 in 1999) and Anderson (No. 8, 1979) were first-round picks — Portis and Gore were second- and third-rounders, respectively — and all five had long, successful careers.

Johnson, at 5-feet-9 and 205 pounds, is the smallest back of that group, but longtime Miami strength coach Andreu Swasey said he has the same work ethic and drive as his predecessors.

"As great as all the guys were, he's kind of in a category of his own because to me he's kind of a mixture of Frank Gore and Portis," Swasey said. "Frank Gore don't have the speed that Duke will have, but Portis does, and then the vision, I think he has vision like Frank Gore has. So he's kind of a combination, but he's also real good out of the backfield. That's where he — I think that takes him to another level in my eyes. He's a better route runner than I seen out of any of them. As far as a receiver, he's a guy you can put out there and he can do damage at receiver."

Johnson is projected to go in the first two days of this year's draft, and how he performs at this week's combine will help determine where he slots in a deep running back group.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'm with you too Phoenix, I really hope Johnson is the RB Baalke takes. Unfortunately for Lattimore, his injury opens up big possibilities of Duke Johnson as a 49er. For one the need will be much greater now, two, since Hyde is showing good potential Duke Johnson looks like the change-of-pace RB to Hyde. Frank Gore mentoring Duke Johnson would be exciting.

I was watching highlights of Phillip Dorsett and I keep thinking, "who is this #8?" He was so fast through the line and he had incredible breal away speed. So obviously, it was Johnson. I love the idea of Hyde and Johnson as a 1-2 punch.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Hyde and Duke Johnson would be a tandem to be reckoned with in our zone and wide running scheme.
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:
Duke Johnson, the name, sounds like a traditional RB. All American legend type name. Haven't seen him play, just think his name is great.

Lol

You have really missed out. I don't watch enough college football, but it's been a treat to watch Duke Johnson these last 3 years. I also think having him and Frank Gore in the same backfield, if only for a season. I'm sure Frank isn't interested in being rushed into retirement, however, it might help him a bit to see a fellow Cane joining the team.

I still want to give Hunter a chance. Hyde too.

One-two punch of Hyde and Johnson is the mix for the future. I like Kendall Hunter, but two season ending injuries Duke Johnson's rookie deal should be cheaper than what Kendall Hunter can potentially command if he has a productive 2015 season.
True on the contract but Hunter has never been given a chance at 15 carries a game. A healthy Gore/Hunter/Hyde should suffice for 2015.....our passing game is the real stinker.

Gotta get a QB for competition at least in the second round. A WR with size and skill for the redzone and better pass blocking o line.

I'm of the opinion Gore/Hyde would have done much better if our passing game wasnt so lousy. Every defense committed to stop the run, stacked the box, hit us with a lot of underneath zone coverage and blitzes with man coverage. And Kap couldn't make them pay for doing so. Blame that on what you will buy the overall point is Gore/Hyde/Hunter should be good enough for 2015.

If they cut Gore then ya, but it still depends on what the new coaching staffs approach is going to be. I'd personally have WR, QB and o line as priorities. 2015 WR free agency is pretty deep so squeezing in a RB first 3 rounds will be possible.

Trent may stick with the best player avable approach as well. Other than Ward it worked well in 2014.

Loved Hunter, but face it he hasn't been around for almost 2 seasons... time to move on. Duke would be a great COP back for us! QB in the 2nd? Come on man! There is no qbs that would create competition for Kap in the 2nd. This draft is very weak at QB and I would be fine if they pass on that position in the draft.

SF had their starting O-line for all of 1 qr this past season and the coaching staff made zero adjustments to injuries. you can't blame Kap for poor game planing and injuries.

They don't have the cap space to grab any WR in FA that would be a upgrade over their current personnel.
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
Hyde and Duke Johnson would be a tandem to be reckoned with in our zone and wide running scheme.

I could see Baalke trading down to #25 with Carolina, draft Dupree from Kentucky, get pick #57 in the 2nd RD.
Then Baalke could go WR at #46 (DGB, Funchess, Strong, Devin Smith or Breshard Perriman) and at #57 go RB
(Duke Johnson, Jay Ajayi or Ameer Abdullah). With the 3rd RD pick, he could go either TE, OL or CB.
Originally posted by crew:
Originally posted by GEEK:

I could see Baalke trading down to #25 with Carolina, draft Dupree from Kentucky, get pick #57 in the 2nd RD.
Then Baalke could go WR at #46 (DGB, Funchess, Strong, Devin Smith or Breshard Perriman) and at #57 go RB
(Duke Johnson, Jay Ajayi or Ameer Abdullah). With the 3rd RD pick, he could go either TE, OL or CB.

I could live with that
Share 49ersWebzone