LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

The "I'm pissed off and I'm doing this to cope with the rest of the season&

Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by English:
One thing leapt out at me. The O line needs rather ore in my view that a depth guard and a low pick. What has Boone done to justify his salary? And your depth at tackle is one rookie 5th round draft pick?

I want us to start with the two lines and then, when they are solid - and I mean rock solid - then rebuild behind them. Little or nothing needs doing on the D.

And let's find our next Bobby McKittrick.

So a few things here...

- Our O-line has underperformed across the board. Staley has been off, Iupati has been off, Boone has been off, Martin is a rookie but has been struggling, and J. Martin just plain sucks. We have talent at the line, but our scheme sucks. Bad scheme can make good players look bad.

- Boone, Reitz, Felend, and B. Thomas have LT and/or RT experience. Plus we have a few guys on the PS that can play OT as well.

- Looney, Thomas, Boone, Farrell, Reitz, and even M. Martin can play guard on our offensive line. I love the idea of an open competition across the board.

- You don't need high draft picks to re-build a line. You need smart draft picks. And we have PUP/IR guys coming back healthy next year (Kilgore, Thomas, etc).

Do you think we should change schemes and be more of a zone blocking team rather than a power running team? I think we should emulate what Seattle is doing with an oline that is not that great but their backs (Wilson and Lynch) are making the reads and making the plays. With the athleticism of Staley and Davis at the tackles and Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas in the interior, I really think we can pull it off.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by English:
One thing leapt out at me. The O line needs rather ore in my view that a depth guard and a low pick. What has Boone done to justify his salary? And your depth at tackle is one rookie 5th round draft pick?

I want us to start with the two lines and then, when they are solid - and I mean rock solid - then rebuild behind them. Little or nothing needs doing on the D.

And let's find our next Bobby McKittrick.

So a few things here...

- Our O-line has underperformed across the board. Staley has been off, Iupati has been off, Boone has been off, Martin is a rookie but has been struggling, and J. Martin just plain sucks. We have talent at the line, but our scheme sucks. Bad scheme can make good players look bad.

- Boone, Reitz, Felend, and B. Thomas have LT and/or RT experience. Plus we have a few guys on the PS that can play OT as well.

- Looney, Thomas, Boone, Farrell, Reitz, and even M. Martin can play guard on our offensive line. I love the idea of an open competition across the board.

- You don't need high draft picks to re-build a line. You need smart draft picks. And we have PUP/IR guys coming back healthy next year (Kilgore, Thomas, etc).

Do you think we should change schemes and be more of a zone blocking team rather than a power running team? I think we should emulate what Seattle is doing with an oline that is not that great but their backs (Wilson and Lynch) are making the reads and making the plays. With the athleticism of Staley and Davis at the tackles and Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas in the interior, I really think we can pull it off.

I would say our offensive line is geared towards a power blocking scheme, but that isn't to say we can't sprinkle some zone looks here or there.

With a better offensive system, I don't think it matters if it is zone vs. power. Better OC & Better QB play = Improved Across All Positions.
Hate to say it but if Jim/Roman are gone so is Vic. Vic and Roman are thick as thieves.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Hate to say it but if Jim/Roman are gone so is Vic. Vic and Roman are thick as thieves.

Dude, Vic is under contract through 2015. So no, he isn't going anywhere unless the 49ers don't want him anymore.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

Well, we are half way there. We have an O line that's not that great. Now just the other stuff to do.
Isn't DeVante Parker kind of slow? Haven't we all been screaming for a speed threat. We are already slow as molases on offense.
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
I liked everything up until the free agents and draft picks. I think Tomsula would bring the same intensity as Harbaugh as a coach but he has the added benefit of being on the same page with Baalke and York. I also like Chudz and was surprised when they let him go, the Browns offense looked good they just didn't have the defense to close out games and lost Hoyer who was looking very good under that offensive scheme. Here is what I would do for the draft at this point just for comparison given your coaching staff changes.

1. Devante Parker WR Louisville
2. Tre Jackson OG FSU
3. Gabe Wright DT Auburn
3b. Petty QB Baylor (Trade Brooks and our 5th Round Pick)
4. Walford TE Miami (Falls due to injury)--Chudz pick

F/A: Brian Hoyer QB, Doug Free OT (Swing Tackle)

Very nice. Would be happy with all of those picks. Parker is a monster with a huge catch radius and Tre Jackson is flat-out nasty.
Share 49ersWebzone