There are 245 users in the forums

The "I'm pissed off and I'm doing this to cope with the rest of the season&

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Coaching Staff Changes:
- Jim Harbaugh fired as HC
- Jim Tomsula is named the new head coach
- Vic Fangio remains as our defensive coordinator

Rob Chudzinski named as our new offensive coordinator. Highlights of his coaching experience:
- Head Coach of Browns, credited for the emergence of Josh Gordon, Jordan Cameron, and got serviceable play out of J. Campbell.
- OC for the Panthers, credited for developing Cam Newton as a passer and runner, and got a lot of production out of G. Olsen at TE.
- OC for the Browns, making Derek Anderson look like a frickin pro bowl QB.
- Coached Frank Gore at Miami. Similar offensive system to Norv Turner.

Roster Moves:

Release/Retire - $10M in savings
- P. Dawson - $3M savings
- A. Brooks - $4M savings
- C. Dahl - $1.7M savings
- J. Martin - $1M savings

Restructure/Extend - $21M in savings
- C. Kaepernick - $5M savings
- S. Johnson - $3M max savings
- A. Smith - $7M max savings
- R. McDonald - $2M max savings
- P. Willis - $4M max savings

Resign - $6M in salaries
- P. Cox - 2 year, $4M deal
- D. Skuta - 2 year, $3M deal
- K. Nelson - 1 year, $800k deal
- T. Jerod-Eddie - 1 year, $570K RFA

Free Agency - $14M in spending
- Matt Moore - QB - Dolphins (2 year, $3M deal; Shaun Hill 2.0)
- Greg Little - WR - Bengals (1 year, $700k deal; Played for Chud in Cleveland)
- Joe Reitz - OT/OG - Colts (2 year, $5M deal; sleeper starter at RG for the 49ers if Boone fails to impress)
- Byron Maxwell - CB - Seahawks (5 year, $30M deal; poach a solid DB from our rivals)
- Matt Prater - K - Lions (2 year, $4M deal; younger, cheaper, and just as effective as Dawson)
- Nick Bellore - ILB - Jets (2 year, $1.9M deal; special teams ace for the Jets, and bolsters our unit)
- Jeron Johnson - S - Seahawks (2 year, $2M deal; special teams and rotational player)

NFL Draft -

R1: DeVante Parker - WR - Louisville (trade up via 4th round pick)

R2: Jay Ajayi - RB - Boise State

R3: Bryce Petty - QB - Baylor

R5: Eric Lefeld - OT - Cincinnati

R6: Jermauria Rasco - DE/LB - LSU

R7: Darren Waller - TE/WR - Georgia Tech

Depth Chart -

QB: Kaepernick/Moore*/Petty*
RB: Hyde/Ajayi*/Hunter/Millard*
FB: Miller
TE: Davis/McDonald/Waller*

WR: Boldin/Patton
WR: Johnson/Ellington
WR: Parker*/Little*

LT: Staley/Lefeld*
LG: Thomas*/Looney
C: Kilgore/Martin
RG: Boone/Reitz*
RT: Davis

LE: Smith/Carradine
NT: Dorsey/Williams
RE: McDonald/Jerod-Eddie

OLB: Smith/Lemonier
ILB: Willis/Borland
ILB: Bowman/Bellore*
OLB: Lynch/Skuta/Rasco*

CB: Brock/Johnson/Reaser*
CB: Maxwell/Cox
FS: Reid/Ward
SS: Bethea/Johnson*

ST: Prater, Lee, Nelson
One thing leapt out at me. The O line needs rather ore in my view that a depth guard and a low pick. What has Boone done to justify his salary? And your depth at tackle is one rookie 5th round draft pick?

I want us to start with the two lines and then, when they are solid - and I mean rock solid - then rebuild behind them. Little or nothing needs doing on the D.

And let's find our next Bobby McKittrick.
Originally posted by English:
One thing leapt out at me. The O line needs rather ore in my view that a depth guard and a low pick. What has Boone done to justify his salary? And your depth at tackle is one rookie 5th round draft pick?

I want us to start with the two lines and then, when they are solid - and I mean rock solid - then rebuild behind them. Little or nothing needs doing on the D.

I agree here.
I'm doing a mock and its all about getting the identity back that is the 49ers.
We used to abuse people on the line, offensive and defensive. I don't see that happening this year at all.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Baalke trade back and take 2-3 offensive/defensive lineman.
Smith is 34/35, McDonald will be 31. I'm not sure if Carradine is the answer yet. That is a thin DE cast for a 3-4 system.

I think Boone's time is done here, with that being said I want us to go OG/DE/OT then build around that.
We've got the future weapons with Kaep and Hyde, lets build around those guys now.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Love your mock draft especially the Bryce Petty pick, also like the fact you are picking an RB although I would prefer Duke Johnson over Ajayi.

One thing that baffles me is why Matt Moore ? I am sure there are a tonne more back-ups that are better than him.
I liked everything up until the free agents and draft picks. I think Tomsula would bring the same intensity as Harbaugh as a coach but he has the added benefit of being on the same page with Baalke and York. I also like Chudz and was surprised when they let him go, the Browns offense looked good they just didn't have the defense to close out games and lost Hoyer who was looking very good under that offensive scheme. Here is what I would do for the draft at this point just for comparison given your coaching staff changes.

1. Devante Parker WR Louisville
2. Tre Jackson OG FSU
3. Gabe Wright DT Auburn
3b. Petty QB Baylor (Trade Brooks and our 5th Round Pick)
4. Walford TE Miami (Falls due to injury)--Chudz pick

F/A: Brian Hoyer QB, Doug Free OT (Swing Tackle)
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Dec 9, 2014 at 6:06 AM ]
Really like those picks, eswyoung08
But, would rather have jaalen strong at wr and i would throw a pass rusher in the mix somewhere
Brian Hoyer is good, would also like a free agent corner
Undrafted free agents:
Safety
Offensive Tackle
kickoff returner
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I agree here.
I'm doing a mock and its all about getting the identity back that is the 49ers.
We used to abuse people on the line, offensive and defensive. I don't see that happening this year at all.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Baalke trade back and take 2-3 offensive/defensive lineman.
Smith is 34/35, McDonald will be 31. I'm not sure if Carradine is the answer yet. That is a thin DE cast for a 3-4 system.

I think Boone's time is done here, with that being said I want us to go OG/DE/OT then build around that.
We've got the future weapons with Kaep and Hyde, lets build around those guys now.

I would be happy with that. Or you used to be able to pick up some decent guards in FA, although tackles were more expensive. Don't care too much about the other positions for now. I want two lines that the rest of the NFL fear.
Good Call on Chudzinski!
Good Job Geek - I don't know if either Cox or Skuta for the low of an amount since they are considered starter material for other teams. I also agree with English & Quest we need to keep feeding the Oline & Dline as they are the foundation of what makes are team great. Also we'll need to another option at TE along with Waller because part of the issue for me is the offense started having issues when we lost Walker
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Love your mock draft especially the Bryce Petty pick, also like the fact you are picking an RB although I would prefer Duke Johnson over Ajayi.

One thing that baffles me is why Matt Moore ? I am sure there are a tonne more back-ups that are better than him.

Like who? It's pretty slim pickins in terms of QBs hitting the market in 2015. Besides, we don't need an expensive backup if we are going to draft one in the early rounds anyway.

You should send a copy of the url of this to Jed York's twitter.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

So a few things here...

- Our O-line has underperformed across the board. Staley has been off, Iupati has been off, Boone has been off, Martin is a rookie but has been struggling, and J. Martin just plain sucks. We have talent at the line, but our scheme sucks. Bad scheme can make good players look bad.

- Boone, Reitz, Felend, and B. Thomas have LT and/or RT experience. Plus we have a few guys on the PS that can play OT as well.

- Looney, Thomas, Boone, Farrell, Reitz, and even M. Martin can play guard on our offensive line. I love the idea of an open competition across the board.

- You don't need high draft picks to re-build a line. You need smart draft picks. And we have PUP/IR guys coming back healthy next year (Kilgore, Thomas, etc).

I think they broke the mold when McKittrick moved on.
I don't like paying maxwell more than any other CB, and I don't like cutting Acker for Maxwell's spot.

I don't like cutting JMart for a mid-round pick for a net savings of 500K.

I like the Parker pick. We might not need the trade up if we continue this free fall.

Like Little, but only if Chud is on board.

I'd really like a creative, aggressive offensive mind at HC. I don't want to restart on O every time an OC gets a new job, and I don't want an OC who sucks so bad that he never gets a new job. Additionally, we had creative OCs before, who were held back by defensive HCs. No more. I want the announcers to have to look away in disgust/embarrassment when we put it on you, and we have the core talent to do it.
Tomsula as HC.
Share 49ersWebzone