LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

Sean Mannion - QB - Oregon State

Quarterback
Height 6-5
Weight 214
Oregon State

Projected Round 3-4 (WalterFootball.com)
Projected 40 4.76

With Kaepernick playing poorly and Blaine being Blaine, it's imperative that we find a QB to develop in this draft. Mannion has the size and skills that you look for and will not require a trade up to draft.

What I like in this tape is how he stays calm in the pocket and scans the field. He's quick to make decisions while under pressure and doesn't just scramble away.

[ Edited by LZRD_WZRD on Dec 7, 2014 at 7:26 PM ]
  • bors
  • Veteran
Hey why not really only qb in draft I am aware of. Mostly just bad stuff. But I live in eugene so everyone diss the beaver
me likey...wheres phoenix I saw you mention him before your thoughts?
[ Edited by Eastcoastniner on Dec 7, 2014 at 8:45 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
The most Pro ready QB in this draft. I'm all for it.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
What about Connor Cook?
I like him, but not behind this OL right now. He struggles when he's forced to throw on the move, kind of the anti Kaepernick in that regard. He's a great guy when everything works well, when the OL holds up their blocks...etc, he is patient in the pocket and does a great job scanning the field but when he's forced to improvise, he has a tendency to do some really stupid s**t. He'll either toss it into a crowd and get picked off or he'll take a huge sack way behind the line of scrimmage.

He's beaten up on some really bad teams and has struggled against better ones. He's also got a Kaepernick-like hitch in his throwing motion which results in an extended release.

On the pro side he's played in a pro style system and has largely excelled in it so if you need a backup QB that will be able to start should the need arise, he's probably your best bet in what is a weak draft for QB's. He'd be a good fit as a guy to develop over time, but someone that you could throw into the lineup even as a rookie and expect him to do decently.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 7, 2014 at 9:47 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I like him, but not behind this OL right now. He struggles when he's forced to throw on the move, kind of the anti Kaepernick in that regard. He's a great guy when everything works well, when the OL holds up their blocks...etc, he is patient in the pocket and does a great job scanning the field but when he's forced to improvise, he has a tendency to do some really stupid s**t. He'll either toss it into a crowd and get picked off or he'll take a huge sack way behind the line of scrimmage.

He's beaten up on some really bad teams and has struggled against better ones. He's also got a Kaepernick-like hitch in his throwing motion which results in an extended release.

On the pro side he's played in a pro style system and has largely excelled in it so if you need a backup QB that will be able to start should the need arise, he's probably your best bet in what is a weak draft for QB's. He'd be a good fit as a guy to develop over time, but someone that you could throw into the lineup even as a rookie and expect him to do decently.

From what I've seen of him, this pretty much sums up my feelings
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
What about Connor Cook?

I like Cook, he seems kinda reckless though, he'll rush his throws to get to that first read. He doesn't set his feet and will often throws off of his back foot. He doesn't seem comfortable under-center taking his drops, but makes up for it with his arm strength. With that said, I think he'll be a solid starting QB in the NFL, he kinda reminds me of Ryan Tannehill and Drew Stanton.

But I believe it's all in your footwork and mechanics, and I give the edge to Sean Mannion on that one. JMHO
  • Jiks
Been clamoring for this kid for a while now. While I don't think he's the best prospect out there, I think he'd be a perfect pickup in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

i think i would rather see a prospect with a really quick release who is accurate that may not have the best arm strength over a guy with an extended release and a really strong arm...although i do support kap we obviously need a quality back up and gabbert is not that lol

Who cares about all that stuff, does he own a turtle and know how to market his *brand*? Also, does he look good in a flat brimmed hat?
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Who cares about all that stuff, does he own a turtle and know how to market his *brand*? Also, does he look good in a flat brimmed hat?

All I know is that he'd look good in a Niner's jersey
Nope. Package some picks and go get Jamis Winston.
do not want winston
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
do not want winston

He's not worth trading up for that's for sure
Share 49ersWebzone