LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

amari cooper -- a true nfl #1 wr

• xcfan
  • Veteran
ya know, in the last 8 years or so of studying college football prospects, there have been 3 college freshmen i watched where i said to myself, "i don't need to scout this guy's worthiness to play at the next level (nfl) anymore, he's got 'it'.": 1. luke kuechly 2. aj green 3. amari cooper.
after their freshman years, i just watched and enjoyed.
cooper is better than odell beckham. in fact, he's like a combo of beckham and jarvis landry in one body--with the on-field brain and hands of larry fitzgerald.

the 49ers wr depth next year will be thinner than an 80 year old's pubic hair. we need this guy! he is a true #1. does anyone even remember what that is; what that looks like?
who cares if we only get to draft a few players because of trade-up price--cooper is a difference maker.

I agree with everything u said except for the 80 yr olds pubic hair line..how you kno that is your business bro..lol but seriously cooper is going to be great at the next level..ill do an verteran mix..umm santonio Holmes and Reggie wayne..as for the niners moving up to draft him..it will cost almost all of our draft and yes it's nice to imagine but I think it won't happen..just not how baalke does things..
Originally posted by jersey49er:
I agree with everything u said except for the 80 yr olds pubic hair line..how you kno that is your business bro..lol but seriously cooper is going to be great at the next level..ill do an verteran mix..umm santonio Holmes and Reggie wayne..as for the niners moving up to draft him..it will cost almost all of our draft and yes it's nice to imagine but I think it won't happen..just not how baalke does things..

Add to that cost - the price it would cost to keep him when his contract year arrives.

From what I've seen, whenever a team sell the farm for one guy - they lose it.

Julio - Atlanta is a total loser

RGIII - look at all they gave up to get him - Skins still suck

I agree that this guy will be elite BUT will the cost outweigh the benefits is the real question.
Originally posted by xcfan:
ya know, in the last 8 years or so of studying college football prospects, there have been 3 college freshmen i watched where i said to myself, "i don't need to scout this guy's worthiness to play at the next level (nfl) anymore, he's got 'it'.": 1. luke kuechly 2. aj green 3. amari cooper.
cooper is better than odell beckham. in fact, he's like a combo of beckham and jarvis landry in one body--with the on-field brain and hands of larry fitzgerald.

the 49ers wr depth next year will be thinner than an 80 year old's pubic hair. we need this guy! he is a true #1. does anyone even remember what that is; what that looks like?
who cares if we only get to draft a few players because of trade-up price--cooper is a difference maker.

sounds like you didn't watch Sammy Watkins as a freshman, those were definitely my thoughts on him at the time.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Add to that cost - the price it would cost to keep him when his contract year arrives.

I agree that this guy will be elite BUT will the cost outweigh the benefits is the real question.

This. Falcons sold the farm for Jones and what has it gotten them????

The whole need for a "#1" receiver is overrated. None of the most recent Superbowl winners had what I consider a true #1 WR.

I'd rather see money spent on a stud OG or stud DE ultimately.
Drafting a guy like Coop is only worth it if you don't have to give up anything to get him (or very little). I would rather swing and miss on 7 picks than get one who pans out and leaves for a huge payday. Besides the way the rules are now I think WR is about go the way of running back where they are a dime a dozen.
Kinda little
We won't get him
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

This. Falcons sold the farm for Jones and what has it gotten them????

The whole need for a "#1" receiver is overrated. None of the most recent Superbowl winners had what I consider a true #1 WR.

I'd rather see money spent on a stud OG or stud DE ultimately.

Yeh, I'm on board w/that.

The wars are still won in the trenches.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Drafting a guy like Coop is only worth it if you don't have to give up anything to get him (or very little). I would rather swing and miss on 7 picks than get one who pans out and leaves for a huge payday. Besides the way the rules are now I think WR is about go the way of running back where they are a dime a dozen.

This. If we could swing it for an Eric Reid type of trade (giving up a third), then I'm all for it. Likely that will not happen because he's a top 5 type of player and if he slips out of the top 5, I can see all kinds of action taking place to move up and get him. The good news is there are A LOT of really good receivers that will be there for the taking throughout the first and into the second round of the draft.

We need 2-3 explosive players who can stay on the field 90% of them time. My main issues with LMJ and Ellington is that when their on the field... you know why they are there. We need a guy like TY Hilton, DJax, or Antonio Brown.
He might be, but he might not.

I remember a WR who came out a few years back and was perceived as a can't miss, sure fire #1 WR by many. Now he's in the final year of his contract, and most people are waving goodbye w/o a care.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
He might be, but he might not.

I remember a WR who came out a few years back and was perceived as a can't miss, sure fire #1 WR by many. Now he's in the final year of his contract, and most people are waving goodbye w/o a care.

No one is sure fire, but I will say this, receiver is near the bottom of the totem of the pole in terms of positions I'd make a huge trade for.
Originally posted by xcfan:

I would give up our whole draft for him. problem is, that might no be enough. If he is slated to go top 5 it might take 2 whole drafts to move up. Even if he is available with the 10th pick it might take our whole draft to get him but that would be worth it. We can't give up 2 years of drafts for him. Lets just hope he falls far enough for us to have a shot to move up.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Any doubters left?
Share 49ersWebzone