There are 143 users in the forums

Tough love mock offseason!

Ain't trying to get everyone fired up, but I think it's time for a partial rebuild for the 49ers! Although I believe e are still loaded with talent we are at the point were great teams have to make changes to get over the hump due to salary cap or coaches not doing enough to get us there.
1. It's time for a new offensive coordinator, but we all know if balke tries to force harbaugh to fire him, he won't and he will force balke to fire him or trade him. Since we know what's gooing to happen we need to go ahead and work out a deal before it gets bad. I'm pretty sure the raiders won't part with the number 1 pick but I think we can get at least there number 2 and a 4 for him. That's entirely reasonable.
2. I love gore but it's time to see what Hyde and however we draft can do. Plus we save about 3 or 4 million we would of had to pay him. Our entire cap number for rb would be about 3 million for everyone.
3. We let craptree walk. We can't afford him and Stevie Johnson can replace his stats. And we can rework his deal and get his cap number below the 6 mil it is. Plus we should be able to grab a 3rd round comp pick for him.
4. We let lupati walk. Tackle money for a guard that can't pass block, not worth it. We should get a 3 or a 4 comp pick for him. We let the martins, Brandon Thomas, looney, and Kilgore battle for his spot. One of them should be starting caliber.
5. Ray McDonald, Ahmad brooks both cut for cap space. Lynch takes over for brooks full time, carradine, dial and draft pick competes for Rays spot.
6. Cut Dahl too expensive for what he does.
7. Resign culliver and or cox. If we can keep both for a decent contract we do it. If not keep the cheapest to start. Ward good enough to be the number 3 safety and the nickel back.
8. Whilhoite played himself out of our price range and he won't come back to be the number 4 inside lb when he might start somewhere else.
9. Restructure Willis, Vernon Davis, Stevie Johnson, Anthony Davis injuries should help with the restructures considering Willis and the Davis's johnsons role should help with his.
9. I love Fangio and he seems like the most likely for the job enough not I would go with the best offensive minded coach we can find to work on our qb.
10. Draft my priorities would be strengthing our DE spot and I would go their in round 1. If tank works it out great and we have Justin smiths replacement a year early.
Draft
Round 1. Shawn Oakman or best DE available. I realize everyone will have there favorites but u get the idea.
Round 2. Shilique Calhoun OLB we will need a guy to swing and cover both positions.
Round 2. Arik armstead DE never have enough defensive lineman. We would be set for years.
Round 3. Todd gurley he might be ready or might not but I belive u need 2 all purpose backs that can start. It would of been nice if it was latimore. Oh well we get another stud red shirt.
Round 4. Best G-T available
Round 4. Best CB available
round 5. Best QB available
Round 6. Best LB available.
Free agency we sit it out unless there's a great deal comes to our door.
Not bad, but Wilhoite is a RFA, and will/should be tendered.

Kap will restructure his deal also, saves $7.7M

Vernon could be a cap cut, he hasn't done much.

I would keep Ray McDonald.
Also not sure it's wise to restructure Anthony Davis' deal, I hate the idea of pushing cap space into future years. Could cause unwanted dead money when we need the money to retain guys.
Ray hasn't done much except for last two weeks. He's likely gone. He does have a cheap deal though. Kap is hard to say.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We need a #1 wr with speed and size to stretch the field.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 1, 2014 at 2:45 PM ]
As for harbaugh we are not going to take a 2nd for him. We may flop picks in the first round but why are we letting the coach go with the third highest win percentage? Attitude? Uhhh belichek parcels joe Gibbs. None of those guys are softies. Btw harbaugh was dead on about manning.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
As for harbaugh we are not going to take a 2nd for him. We may flop picks in the first round but why are we letting the coach go with the third highest win percentage? Attitude? Uhhh belichek parcels joe Gibbs. None of those guys are softies. Btw harbaugh was dead on about manning.

What did he say about manning?
Normally, I'm never one to say this is a bad draft, but this really is a bad draft. The offense gets no help at all, except by adding an excellent back who is coming off of an ACL injury. I like the idea of adding a 3-4 DE in the first. It's no guarantee that Tank is the guy to replace Justin Smith. I think we should bring in another guy that can provide some competition and can start potentially start. But we need playmakers on offense, for all skill positions. If you went receiver in the first (someone with some speed) or second, that would've been ideal. I think we may also need to consider adding a TE. I'm not sure what Vernon Davis's deal is and although I do believe Vance McDonald deserves more opportunities, neither are natural pass catchers which is something that could help this offense immensely. I'd honestly look to add two receivers. One early (first or second round) and one later to develop. Michael Crabtree is likely gone (hoping Quinton Patton can step up next season) and Anquan Boldin is likely gone the following season. Between taking two receivers, a RB, and a TE, then I'd add some other guys on defense late that can be developed, play special teams, or put on the practice squad.

I'm trying to figure some scenario where we could end up with Shawn Oakman (or Mario Williams), Rashad Greene, and Duke Johnson (or Ameer Abdullah), but it's unlikely that happens with a trade of a 2016 pick, but I do think it would be worth it to solidify the longterm future of the team.
Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
Ain't trying to get everyone fired up, but I think it's time for a partial rebuild for the 49ers! Although I believe e are still loaded with talent we are at the point were great teams have to make changes to get over the hump due to salary cap or coaches not doing enough to get us there.
1. It's time for a new offensive coordinator, but we all know if balke tries to force harbaugh to fire him, he won't and he will force balke to fire him or trade him. Since we know what's gooing to happen we need to go ahead and work out a deal before it gets bad. I'm pretty sure the raiders won't part with the number 1 pick but I think we can get at least there number 2 and a 4 for him. That's entirely reasonable.
2. I love gore but it's time to see what Hyde and however we draft can do. Plus we save about 3 or 4 million we would of had to pay him. Our entire cap number for rb would be about 3 million for everyone.
3. We let craptree walk. We can't afford him and Stevie Johnson can replace his stats. And we can rework his deal and get his cap number below the 6 mil it is. Plus we should be able to grab a 3rd round comp pick for him.
4. We let lupati walk. Tackle money for a guard that can't pass block, not worth it. We should get a 3 or a 4 comp pick for him. We let the martins, Brandon Thomas, looney, and Kilgore battle for his spot. One of them should be starting caliber.
5. Ray McDonald, Ahmad brooks both cut for cap space. Lynch takes over for brooks full time, carradine, dial and draft pick competes for Rays spot.
6. Cut Dahl too expensive for what he does.
7. Resign culliver and or cox. If we can keep both for a decent contract we do it. If not keep the cheapest to start. Ward good enough to be the number 3 safety and the nickel back.
8. Whilhoite played himself out of our price range and he won't come back to be the number 4 inside lb when he might start somewhere else.
9. Restructure Willis, Vernon Davis, Stevie Johnson, Anthony Davis injuries should help with the restructures considering Willis and the Davis's johnsons role should help with his.
9. I love Fangio and he seems like the most likely for the job enough not I would go with the best offensive minded coach we can find to work on our qb.
10. Draft my priorities would be strengthing our DE spot and I would go their in round 1. If tank works it out great and we have Justin smiths replacement a year early.
Draft
Round 1. Shawn Oakman or best DE available. I realize everyone will have there favorites but u get the idea.
Round 2. Shilique Calhoun OLB we will need a guy to swing and cover both positions.
Round 2. Arik armstead DE never have enough defensive lineman. We would be set for years.
Round 3. Todd gurley he might be ready or might not but I belive u need 2 all purpose backs that can start. It would of been nice if it was latimore. Oh well we get another stud red shirt.
Round 4. Best G-T available
Round 4. Best CB available
round 5. Best QB available
Round 6. Best LB available.
Free agency we sit it out unless there's a great deal comes to our door.

in rd 6 I think we should take the 2nd best LB available

We might be lucky to get anything for him based on what some are saying.

If he refuses to sign w/the team he's traded to then it will void the trade.

He sits out for a year or whatever and then returns to sign w/who he wants.
Originally posted by mayo49:
We need a #1 wr with speed and size to stretch the field.

9ers have one of the best, deepest defenses in the NFL so you draft three defensive players in the first three rounds?

I would think the underperforming offense might need some help. I'm all in for a #1 WR in the first. The team is desperate for impact players on offense. Gore and Hyde are good RBs but not impact players. Johnson, Boldin, and Patton are good WRs but not impact players. Ellington may be an impact player but so far...just OK.

McDonald has another year on his current contract and I would keep him.

I always worry about draft prospects with low productivity but big upside based on size, strength or speed. Would like to know more about his work ethic and other areas of concern. The CBS writeup on Armstead:
"Armstead's production is far from staggering but he boasts such an incredible combination of size and athleticism that he could wind up as Oregon's hottest NFL prospect on the defensive side of the ball."

Edit: of course, if he produced at that size he'd be high first round.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 2, 2014 at 5:21 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
9ers have one of the best, deepest defenses in the NFL so you draft three defensive players in the first three rounds?

I would think the underperforming offense might need some help. I'm all in for a #1 WR in the first. The team is desperate for impact players on offense. Gore and Hyde are good RBs but not impact players. Johnson, Boldin, and Patton are good WRs but not impact players. Ellington may be an impact player but so far...just OK.

McDonald has another year on his current contract and I would keep him.

I always worry about draft prospects with low productivity but big upside based on size, strength or speed. Would like to know more about his work ethic and other areas of concern. The CBS writeup on Armstead:
"Armstead's production is far from staggering but he boasts such an incredible combination of size and athleticism that he could wind up as Oregon's hottest NFL prospect on the defensive side of the ball."

Edit: of course, if he produced at that size he'd be high first round.

Me too. If a guy doesn't produce in college, it's overwhelmingly unlikely he'll produce in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone