LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

2016 QB class

This team has more holes than just at the QB position. We should always be looking for a good QB, every year, but we also need the guys around the QB to be good as well, otherwise it won't matter who we have out there. Obviously our current QB needs to do the right things in order to improve as a QB, but he has not had much time to do anything out there and looks like crap because of it. It's a mess.
It's not so much about the system QBs as it is simply looking at how a particular QB makes decisions, reads the field, and how much does he rely on his athleticism/arm versus his brain.

What makes college QBs do difficult to assess is that there's a lot more space in college and it's much easier for teams to dominate others with athleticism.

In the NFL is quite difficult to dominate with athleticism, because the league catches up quickly.

With Mariota the question comes down to one of how accurate he can be in tiny windows. At Oregon he's typically passing to guys who are open by a few yards. If I were a GM that's a pretty big question to be asking if you're going to be spening a top 3 pick on him. I think he's a student of the game and he's brilliant kid and he's got moxie. Need to watch his film to see.

Hundley has shown me little to believe that his game will translate to the NFL. He's got some great tools but some of his decisions are mind boggling and he's being coached by a former NFL coach.

Winston is on my do not touch with a ten foot pole list. He may have won every game thus far, but his off field antics plus his near 1-1 TD/INT ratio should scare GMs. Lest anyone forget that FSU has had superior talent than all of their opponents.
Draft a QB in 2015 draft that comes from a pro style offense already. Don't want to go through a learning curve again at the QB position.

Edit: No running QB's...pocket passer with mobility please.
[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Dec 8, 2014 at 9:09 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Right the same game when he was the only player keeping them in the game...I still think Kap can be a good starting QB with the right system...enough with this 3 and 4 WR sets. Kap isn't a statue pocket passing QB that is going to carve up the secondary like a Brady. He needs to be a duel threat like Wilson! Run read options and the pistol. Why they hell was he throwing the ball that much yesterday? Gore was running for over 5 yards a carry against the worst run D in the league!

As far as the contract at that point he was a starting QB in the league that had done nothing but win and put the team in the playoffs since he was a starter. SF got lucky with the deal he signed and aren't locked in for the long haul. I think he can be saved with the right coach. Bring in a young offensive mind that understands how to use a duel threat like Kap.

First of all, in terms of pass/run ratio, I have also mentioned it on other threads, is all Harbaugh's fault. He is just so stubborn with his so-called new offensive philosophy. He has taken away the run game. I was so pissed watching his Monday presser when he denied he went away from the run when the stats says Frank only had 12 carries. Anyway, he will be fired soon and he bloody well deserves it.

As for schemes, I don't disagree with that if Kap still remains as the QB. However, you need to remember not many coaches like to run heavy read-option/Pistol offenses in the NFL. Just look at RG3, Jay Gruden hates the read-option stuff. It becomes even more complicated once we draft a pocket passer QB next year (that's my assumption). Will the new head coach have to design 2 different systems for 2 different styled QBs then ?
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by Rascal:
The more clips I look at, the more I am leaning towards Bryce Petty. How about it, folks ?

Been on the Bryce Petty bandwagon since last season. People knock his accuracy, but a guy who's put up 59 TDs to only 9 INTs the last 2 years, with a career 62% completion percentage, seems pretty damn accurate to me. Plus he has good enough mobility (20 career rushing TDs). Great character. Tough (cracked 2 bones in his back and only missed 1 game).

Edit: if Harbaugh is to leave after the season, I'd love to see Art Briles become HC. Petty/Briles in the NFL would be money.

Pass on a system QB, why didn't we just draft Graham Harrell a couple years ago lol

Yeah that's true, system quarterbacks are horrible. Cause guys like Mariota, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garappolo are all trash cause they came from a QB friendly system in college.

What have Mariota and Jimmy Garappolo done in the league???? Oh ya nothing! Derek Carr has yet to play a full season and has won 2 games, far from successful.

List of SYSTEM QBs that have done nothing in the NFL:

RGIII
Brandon Weeden
Pat White
Graham Harrell
Tim Tebow
Dennis Dixon
Rhett Bomar
Geno Smith
Collin Klein
Josh Freeman

Those are some of the QBs of the top of my head that put up big numbers dude to being in a system and haven't done next to nothing in the league....I'm not saying Petty is bad, but look past the numbers before thinking every QB will be good based on their numbers
Right the same game when he was the only player keeping them in the game...I still think Kap can be a good starting QB with the right system...enough with this 3 and 4 WR sets. Kap isn't a statue pocket passing QB that is going to carve up the secondary like a Brady. He needs to be a duel threat like Wilson! Run read options and the pistol. Why they hell was he throwing the ball that much yesterday? Gore was running for over 5 yards a carry against the worst run D in the league!

As far as the contract at that point he was a starting QB in the league that had done nothing but win and put the team in the playoffs since he was a starter. SF got lucky with the deal he signed and aren't locked in for the long haul. I think he can be saved with the right coach. Bring in a young offensive mind that understands how to use a duel threat like Kap.

First of all, in terms of pass/run ratio, I have also mentioned it on other threads, is all Harbaugh's fault. He is just so stubborn with his so-called new offensive philosophy. He has taken away the run game. I was so pissed watching his Monday presser when he denied he went away from the run when the stats says Frank only had 12 carries. Anyway, he will be fired soon and he bloody well deserves it.

As for schemes, I don't disagree with that if Kap still remains as the QB. However, you need to remember not many coaches like to run heavy read-option/Pistol offenses in the NFL. Just look at RG3, Jay Gruden hates the read-option stuff. It becomes even more complicated once we draft a pocket passer QB next year (that's my assumption). Will the new head coach have to design 2 different systems for 2 different styled QBs then ?

I think they'll need to find a Head Coach that doesn't have a problem calling plays that fit to Kap's strengths...not saying Gus Malzahn would leave Auburn but someone like that would be intriguing.( I don't see them drafting a QB high next year either).

I still think Kap could become a good pocket passing QB, but to have him behind that awful line trying to dissect the defense just doesn't make sense. Seattle realizes what they have in Wilson why doesn't Jim?
The more clips I look at, the more I am leaning towards Bryce Petty. How about it, folks ?

Been on the Bryce Petty bandwagon since last season. People knock his accuracy, but a guy who's put up 59 TDs to only 9 INTs the last 2 years, with a career 62% completion percentage, seems pretty damn accurate to me. Plus he has good enough mobility (20 career rushing TDs). Great character. Tough (cracked 2 bones in his back and only missed 1 game).

Edit: if Harbaugh is to leave after the season, I'd love to see Art Briles become HC. Petty/Briles in the NFL would be money.

Pass on a system QB, why didn't we just draft Graham Harrell a couple years ago lol

Yeah that's true, system quarterbacks are horrible. Cause guys like Mariota, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garappolo are all trash cause they came from a QB friendly system in college.

What have Mariota and Jimmy Garappolo done in the league???? Oh ya nothing! Derek Carr has yet to play a full season and has won 2 games, far from successful.

RGIII
Brandon Weeden
Pat White
Graham Harrell
Tim Tebow
Dennis Dixon
Rhett Bomar
Geno Smith
Collin Klein
Josh Freeman

Those are some of the QBs of the top of my head that put up big numbers dude to being in a system and haven't done next to nothing in the league....I'm not saying Petty is bad, but look past the numbers before thinking every QB will be good based on their numbers

Besides RG3, Tebow, and Weeden, none were 1st round picks. And you must have never watched Freeman at KSU if you think he ran a gimmick offense. I can play this game too.

List of pro style QBs that have done nothing:
Tom Savage
AJ McCarron
Aaron Murray
Matt Barkley
Ryan Nassib
Christian Ponder
Ricky Stanzi
Jimmy Clausen
Colt McCoy
Chad Henne
John David Booty
Erik Ainge
Matt Flynn

See those are your pro style QBs that were so much better than the "gimmick QBs" you don't want. What pro style QB do you want? I bet Winston and his 17 INT season huh? Be realistic, every college team runs some type of spread offense. You'd be naive if you think there's an Andrew Luck type that comes from a pro system and isn't a top pick 3 pick.

I think they'll need to find a Head Coach that doesn't have a problem calling plays that fit to Kap's strengths...not saying Gus Malzahn would leave Auburn but someone like that would be intriguing.( I don't see them drafting a QB high next year either).

I still think Kap could become a good pocket passing QB, but to have him behind that awful line trying to dissect the defense just doesn't make sense. Seattle realizes what they have in Wilson why doesn't Jim?

You knock system QBs but want Gus Malzahn? Have you not seen his system. It's the exact opposite of a pro-style offense as you can get.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

First of all, I think it will be absolutely crazy and irresponsible not to draft a pocket passer high in May. Even if you want to give Kap another chance, you still need someone legit to fall back on (and I don't mean scrubs like Gabbert)

As for the new head coach, I don't think we are just talking about calling read-option plays, we are talking about having an entire read-option playbook more or less. Calling 2 or 3 read-option plays a game will not make a difference, we are talking about heavy read-option here.

RGIII
Brandon Weeden
Pat White
Graham Harrell
Tim Tebow
Dennis Dixon
Rhett Bomar
Geno Smith
Collin Klein
Josh Freeman

Besides RG3, Tebow, and Weeden, none were 1st round picks. And you must have never watched Freeman at KSU if you think he ran a gimmick offense. I can play this game too.

List of pro style QBs that have done nothing:
Tom Savage
AJ McCarron
Aaron Murray
Matt Barkley
Ryan Nassib
Christian Ponder
Ricky Stanzi
Jimmy Clausen
Colt McCoy
Chad Henne
John David Booty
Erik Ainge
Matt Flynn

See those are your pro style QBs that were so much better than the "gimmick QBs" you don't want. What pro style QB do you want? I bet Winston and his 17 INT season huh? Be realistic, every college team runs some type of spread offense. You'd be naive if you think there's an Andrew Luck type that comes from a pro system and isn't a top pick 3 pick.

Okay well how many of those QB's you mentioned are 1st rd picks... 2?? The reason I threw out those names was because they all produced big numbers because of the system, not because they were great QB's and Kansas State ran a spread offense with Freeman

So you think Petty would be good in a pro-style offense? I mean that's the question, correct? I don't think he is, maybe I'm wrong but from what I've watched I don't think he would make a great QB in the NFL, I do think Winston will have a better career than Petty yes.

You knock system QBs but want Gus Malzahn? Have you not seen his system. It's the exact opposite of a pro-style offense as you can get.

I'm knocking on system QB's like Petty (who put big numbers up in college) and throwing them into a pro-style offense. If SF grabbed a coach like Malzahn then I'm assuming they would support his idea of the offense he would run, which you said is the opposite of a pro-style offense.

I don't want to grab another pistol, read option, spread offense QB and convert him to a pro-style offense like Jim is trying to do with Kap.

First of all, I think it will be absolutely crazy and irresponsible not to draft a pocket passer high in May. Even if you want to give Kap another chance, you still need someone legit to fall back on (and I don't mean scrubs like Gabbert)

As for the new head coach, I don't think we are just talking about calling read-option plays, we are talking about having an entire read-option playbook more or less. Calling 2 or 3 read-option plays a game will not make a difference, we are talking about heavy read-option here.

Why can't they call plays like 2012? I don't think it all has to be read option plays, but more or less a week to week game plan to who SF is playing.

EX: The packers game, they clearly haven't figured out the read option so run more of those plays....I mean it all just a thought.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Why can't they call plays like 2012? I don't think it all has to be read option plays, but more or less a week to week game plan to who SF is playing.

EX: The packers game, they clearly haven't figured out the read option so run more of those plays....I mean it all just a thought.

Well, good point. I also said why couldn't we just go back to the 2012 playbook ?

I am just curious how are they going to interview the head coach candidates with regards to Kap ? Surely, you can't exactly make sticking with Kap as a condition for the job cos you will never ever be able to get a decent coach that way. Let's face it, 99% of all new head coaches will want their own QB, let alone having to deal with a struggling one. Don't forget, the new head coach will have to worry about his own job security too. If you force him to try to fix and play Kap, you could easily end up with a RG3/Jay Gruden situation.

Well, good point. I also said why couldn't we just go back to the 2012 playbook ?

I am just curious how are they going to interview the head coach candidates with regards to Kap ? Surely, you can't exactly make sticking with Kap as a condition for the job cos you will never ever be able to get a decent coach that way. Let's face it, 99% of all new head coaches will want their own QB, let alone having to deal with a struggling one. Don't forget, the new head coach will have to worry about his own job security too. If you force him to try to fix and play Kap, you could easily end up with a RG3/Jay Gruden situation.
They tried the 2012 playbook in the first three games of 2013. The result was a 1-2 record. That was enough for the coaches to go back to a power run game.

Totally agree, it will be interesting to see what the new coaching staff will want to do with Kap. Who ever comes in I won't be expecting a great turnaround like Jim had unfortunately.
Share 49ersWebzone